installing an overhead bed

Started by rnrphoto98, January 07, 2013, 04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnrphoto98

Hi all

I am just courious how hard it would be to install a overhead bed in our 88 Elandan?  Our model does not have one, it looks like it was an opiton though.  I tried to do a search online, it looks like I would have to find a used frame to bolt in.  We only have the back bed and the couch that converts so the kids take turns on a air mattress.  Having never used or even seen one before I am just not sure how it would work.

Any thoughts or advice??

Thanks

Rob

LJ-TJ

Well sounds like a good idea. You can usually pick one up out of one of the old Winnebago's that guys are parting out. There should be some pictures on the site here some was showing how they come apart and how they go together. It's just a case of screwing about 20 screws in, about 10 and 10 below. Hm?

cosmic

well i have the same unit as tj-lj d21 brave 75. very simple to put in. Just like was said above.
Now from my research i see that as an option I could have got a rear bunk. Has any one seen one of these?
It is smaller then the traditional front bunk. because it would not fit the front size in the back because of the closets. and upper shelving unit. I think it would be like 4 to 6 inches narrower.
I would love to see a picture if some one has one.

Oz

I had a rear bunk in mine.   on the side walls were two, solid "L" rails and the bunk itself was hinged in 3 sections and folded out into position and then back again when the rear gaucho was set-up in the sofa configuration.  It would be extremely easy to make one.

Here's a topic which show the scissors bunk and gives more info it:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5364.msg23579#msg23579
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

rnrphoto98

Thanks for the info guys, I will start keeping a eye open for someone parting out a rv.  It would make the kids much happier not to be on the floor!

Rob

Bigjohnk99

My HR didn't come with an overhead bed so i put one in.  Bought the frame from a salvage yard ($90.00).  Once I got home I cut a sheet a 3/4" plywood to make a custom sized bed.  That way I didn't have to move overhead cabinets.  Framed the plywood bed with 1"x3" and ordered a custom mattress that was just my size.  Now my boys have a 'bunk bed' in the old RV.  Really, it took less than a Saturday afternoon.

emoney

You can always cut one of those 4" Memory Foam mattress toppers too.  Makes for a pretty comfortable bed and they're not very expensive (less than $100 @ Wal Mart)

rushton88

Way to go bigjohnk!  Any chance you can post a couple pictures to show the finished product as I need the same solution ASAP.  Just not sure what to do with the tv console/cabinets. Thx
Mark

Mytdawg

Mine has a front and rear bunk.  Hadn't spent much time looking at that to this point.  The back one looks identical to the front one to me but I have an untrained eye.  Certainly looks factory.  Same spring and lowering scissor type arrangement.  Takes up about as much room as the back bed when it's assembled.  Roughly a double.  Looks like a futon mattress would fit to me.  I wouldn't think you'd want anyone weighing more than about 100 lbs up there but maybe it's deceiving.  All I have is fuzzy dark phone pics of the bunks, can't see any detail with what I've got currently.

This is the back one in the up position.

This one may be a little better but still not much detail.