Flooring in the Winnie & why carpet up in the driver area

Started by 73WinnieIndian, December 15, 2012, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73WinnieIndian

Okay, was looking for some feedback here. I read somewhere that the vinyl wood planks have been a good thing in the rv.

Found one that is kind of dark, but matches the wood on all the cabinets. Yes, one could paint everything a different color, but why?

Kinda the if it's not broke, don't fix it motto.

Now...is there a reason other than comfort for the carpet in the driver and passenger area? I know I saw someone post pictures of the flooring up in the drivers area. I can't find the pictures again. Good idea, bad idea or just preference?

Also, on the dog house/engine cover....any reason for carpet? Does it help with engine noise in the cab. Only reason I can think of for it.

Would rather check in with everyone and get some feedback before making changes.

Right now we have linoleum and it is curling up and it is getting ripped out. Also they have carpeting in the back area under the bed. I'm guessing to keep things from scratching or sliding or something. Not really seeing the reasoning for that either.

Feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks!

LJ-TJ

i?? Well in our 75 we had carpet on the front kick board up under the passanger seat and over the dog house and covering the drivers section. It cut down on the noise and drafts. We covered the steps to the entrance the same way for the same reason. From the top of the step over to the bathroom around the kitchen sink and back to the closet we did in vinyl as it made keeping the high traffic area easy to clean. At the back from the back of the kitchen seat to the bed or bench we put carpet in 1) it was warmer on the feet when you got up in the morning and 2) It help cut down on the drafts. Hm?

[smg id=2466]

[smg id=2465]

Oz

Many of us have replaced the original carpeting/flooring in various manners and there are some great posts on flooring options and how to's as well!

Carpeting in the cab does help insulate from noise and when coupled with heat/sound insulation under the doghouse, it greatly reduces the abominally loud engine noise a 440 with 3 speed transmission puts out.

Linolium, wood, tile, etch is typical in the "hall" walkway, dinette and kitchen areas since they are high traffic areas.

I also put carpeting in the rear bed area for aesthetics and for warmer feet when you put them on the floor, and also since that area converts to a wrap around sofa area.

[smg id=821] [smg id=829][smg id=838]

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Used to be lots of pics of my carpeting jobs and how to do it...lol...but we LOVE carpets!  At least, we love carpets everywhere but the bathroom and kitchen.

Kitchen and bathroom are linoleum.  Everything else, including the doghouse, is carpet.  WAY quieter and WAY warmer with its insulating factor, especially with a carpet foam pad under it.

These engines, operating at high RPMs, aren't quiet.  You'll regret it if you take all your carpet out and end up with an echo box that reverberates all the engine noise.

And if you camp in the cold, you'll really regret the lack of floor insulation on your footsies!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

73WinnieIndian

All great feedback and thanks for moving my post. Sorry, I'm still getting a little lost in the hugeness of this site, but really appreciate all the info. too.

I had a feeling there was a reason for the carpet up front, besides riding barefoot in the cab. LOL

So, keeping the carpet in the front area seems the way to go then. Yes, it has been a while since I have been in a Winnie with that Engine making all that racket. I remember laughing very hard the first time we drove it down the street. It was a blast.

This is our second Winnie, same year, same layout. Yet, this one we just drove it around the block and then took the engine apart.

Yeah and if we can't find the exhaust manifold and have to put headers on it. Oh man, it is really going to be Loud.

We have two big dogs and I was thinking, floor is easier to clean than carpet.

Now onto the forums to see the carpet how to's.

Did the forum search change?  I thought it looked different the other day than today. 

Thank You! Deb

tiinytina

We did the cab in shag.. yes on noise reduction and insulation...  go to a mom and pop type carpet store.. I bought a remnant for $30 did the whole front....  we did "pergo" type for the rest.. with 4+ dogs... clean up is easy.  we put down small rubber backed carpets in various spots, in bathroom, outside of shower, front of couch, front of kitchen so standing is comfy.. and can toss these in wash and or shake out when needed.

the pergo type stuff has 1/8" foam under it so does provide both cold and sound insulation. We had to hand make moldings as it "floats" and no corners are square, and the 1/4" clearance is not a steady measurement to cover. 

Tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

73WinnieIndian

Going to wait until the engine is in to put the new floor. We picked a vinyl wood plank. It is kind rubberish with a wood grain look and even a built in grain. I preferred the flat piece, but husband really wants the other one with more texture.

Went with a lighter wood than the cabinets. Took more pictures.

Will do that for the carpet Tina. Remnant is a good idea. Could probably do that with linoleum too, but Johnny is sold on this vinyl wood and it is on sale right now. So not very expensive.
If you see anything in the how to's about how to do the carpet, especially on the dog house and you think about it, can you post it here. I am searching the forum and cruising the photos, but haven't seen carpeting yet...just done, no how to's.

So much info here. Very helpful.

LJ-TJ

i?? Hey Kev you still got the pictures of when you did your dog house?  Hm?

Oz

tiinytina

Our dog house is fiberglass... I removed the old carpet and attempted a pattern but it was pretty bad shape once I yanked it all off...  got a basic shape for it.  You could get some cheap Muslin and use that to make a pattern....  I did not use glue except on corners to keep the fold together, and I used liquid nails.  I used tap screws and washers (all hidden in the shag pile.  I cut and then overlapped the corners.  Held up to many trips and many dogs so far...

Tina

ClydesdaleKevin

Nope LJ-TJ...those pics are long gone...unless I have them on a backup disk somewhere.  The ones that were on here got lost during the website move, and that was a few dead laptops ago.

In a nutshell, I started by cutting out the carpet larger than I needed it and glued and clamped the top edge of the carpet to the top edge doghouse and let that glue dry completely...stretch it tight before clamping!  Then I added the next bit of glue and stretched it tight, clamped it, and let it dry.  When we got to the flat sections in the middle where you couldn't clamp it, I glued one flat section first and put a heavy tool box over it and let it dry, then did the same to the second section.  By the time I got to the bottom curved edge of the doghouse, I had to stretch the carpet VERY tight using vice grips and a LOT of clamps.  Took about a week of letting the glue dry between steps, and we used outdoor carpet cement.  Came out great though!  Wish I had a couple of pics just to show you how many clamps it took...lol!  Gonna do the same to the doghouse in the Nautilus at some point as well, so I'll take a bunch of pictures when I do.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

73WinnieIndian

You all are great. So the challenge here is that I will have to encourage my husband to have patience. *sigh*   

I'm seriously thinking the carpet doesn't look that bad right now. Especially since our dogs are going to be in there. Pulling the carpet cleaner out of the donation pile. haha

It's a good old one too. We only have floors in our house now. So was considering ditching it.

We need a shed for this kind of stuff. Great, another project.  Sigh.
That we only need every now and then.

The surplus store has great metal clamps and they are useful in general anyway.

Thanks for all the tips. Wishing she was done so we could take off.

LJ-TJ

i?? One project at a time,then a little camping, then the next project,then another trip. Then it doesn't seem so daunting. If you look at all you would like to do at once you'll get discouraged, unmotivated and eventually quite. :(

junkyarddogfan

like most others here have done in the past, i just replaced all the carpet in my '78 Chieftain. while the main floor and bottom of the stairwell is wood (yes the bottom of the stairwell is metal but mine had a board between the metal and old carpet more for strength than anything else), the drivers compartment is a metal floor and the doghouse cover is flberglas.

i laid down new carpet in the back and up to the bathroom door, then from the bathroom door to the beginning of the rise to the drivers area i laid 5/16" sheet of finished faced plywood and over that, vinyl squares, and the drivers area as well as the step area and doghouse got carpet. under all the carpet minus the doghouse i put down a good carpet pad first.

putting any type of wooden floor in the drivers area would require it either screwed into the metal floor or glued to the metal floor to prevent movement so it wouldn't be able to utilize a 'floating floor' such as most wood floors in homes are today.

also, wood is slippery, and crawling into and out of the drivers area let alone the rest of the coach, with children or dogs, that would make a slippery surface while the vehicle is in motion for any possible passenger trying to get to the bathroom, etc.
safety first i always say.

carpet wasn't that expensive as my local home depot had some stuff they were phasing out, so .28 cents a square foot for carpet that was orignally .96 cents a square foot also saved a lot of $$$.

its all personal choice, and i perfer carpet for softer walking, warmth, quiet and safety.

tommo

what pad is rcommended for the dog house? I would like it not too hot and quiet as posible.
Thanks
Tiom

Stripe

"The Insulator" insulating foil..
Suppresses sound, heat moisture.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

tiinytina

I didn't use any glue on ours as it was so overly fun...NOT... to rip off the old carpet.  I used tap screws with small washers and that was 5 yrs ago.. still good. 
Tina

serenitygirl64

I have problems with loud engine noise and heat coming from the doghouse in my Minnie Winnie.  And I have been considering carpeting the doghouse to reduce the sound and heat.  I recall in the 70's a lot of people would carpet their doghouses in Vans for this reason.  I would gladly accept any input that would fair better. 

As to painting walls or cabinets, some of our classics have experienced water damage or sun bleaching.  As in my case, one of the over head cabinets facing was pulling off and rippled due to water leaks.  I am not a skilled craftsman so I used floating floor material to cover the facing.  Since there is no way of matching wood colors and lack of funds to do the job correctly I McGyvered it and painted it.     :P

Mytdawg

I'd like to try some of this stuff for sound deadening.  Either this or the rubberized stuff.  The "big" brand name is Dynamat and it's all pretty pricey but it's supposed to cut down on sound and heat.

I'd like to gut my Corvette and line the entire floor and tunnel with it.

Fiberglass

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-2-X-4-Automotive-Door-Panel-Insulation-Control-Heat-Sound-/281129911123?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4174a60353&vxp=mtr

Rubberized

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-10-Sq-Ft-GTMAT-Sound-Dampening-Automotive-Proofing-Insulation-Material-/110920318565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d35dbe65

Oz

Carpeting provides a little insulation, but not much.  It's mostly aesthetic.  However, if you also read the info in the link in the post above I made before, that will give you some options for insulating the doghouse too.

serenitygirl64

thanks Mark.  I will have to wait to get the right stuff for insulating the dog house.  I appreciate the reply so much.  I do all my own work where I can and so far I think I have been doing it all ok.