Where to get an exhaust manifold for 440?

Started by 73WinnieIndian, December 15, 2012, 06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73WinnieIndian

We have gone through all the big guys.

Summit
Edelbrock
Napa
The wholesalers in Los Angeles for Mechanics

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I looked on Ebay too and saw one that looked similar, but would kinda rather make sure it is the right part.

Thanks in advance. This forum has a wealth of information. I get side tracked and end up reading other stuff and it is all great info.

LJ-TJ

You've hit on one of the most difficult parts to get. Your best chance is to stay on Craig's list and look under 440 engines and be persistent,  keep an eye on E-bay. They are out there you just have to be persistent   
i??

73WinnieIndian

Ah....not what I wanted to hear, but glad you at least told me.

So much for putting it back together right away.

Thanks LJ-TJ

Off to cl-checker to scope out the area on 440 parts.

DELTA912

Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

73WinnieIndian

The one we have now is cracked.  A friend said we might be able to get it welded. Comments appreciated on that as well.

We are completely rebuilding the engine just so we don't have one problem after another.

I will get the part out of the car tomorrow and post the number and I'm trying to figure out how to do the pictures. My computer is being a pain and I have a cold, so I don't have the patiences to deal with it right now.

Will send my husband to check out that website. Thanks!

73WinnieIndian

DELTA912

Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

LJ-TJ

cosmic

As a welder i have had luck welding manifolds in the past. when my manifold cracked of course i welded it. It lasted about 3 trips. The big problem is that they crack all the way around so you can only weld the out side. Also these manifolds get so hot they glow. this is not a honda manifold. its a 440 big block.
Taking these off is a pain in A##. I broke all the bolts. Then used my grinder with a zip cut, to cut a groove in the broken bolts. I used my torches to heat all around the bolt but carefull not to heat the bolt itself. I was able to screw them out with a flat head screw driver.
It is my suggestion to not weld a manifold for a permanent fix. only to buy you time untill you find one. I got mine on ebay for $80.00 shipped to the door. (used)

73WinnieIndian

Manifold cast # X3768183
or X3769183
or X3768163

X376#1#3

Now if anyone knows what it should be, as it is really hard to read the two #'s

Okay, well we just put them side by side and they look exactly the same. The guy at the warehouse said they were not interchangeable. Yet, again....we put both sides side by side and it is the exact same casting on both sides except the cast #.

73WinnieIndian

Wow Delta! Great find, Thanks.

My Aunt lives in SF, so I am going to see if she is driving or flying down here for xmas. So she can give the part a ride for us.

Cosmic, I have heard you can weld them too, but we have the whole engine pulled out and would rather make sure at least dropping it back in that ALL the parts are good. At least starting out. Rather than pulling it out again for one part. I do appreciate the feedback though.

73WinnieIndian

Geez, it feels like Christmas already! 

Thanks for all the help. Dave, I bookmarked the part on ebay just in case.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Took me a while to find it again but here is another source for all sorts of engine parts like the mainifold:

Main page:
http://stevensparts.com/

440 manifolds:
http://stevensparts.com/EXHAUST%20MANIFOLDS%20Chrysler%20Dodge%20Plymouth%20Eagle%20.htm#400-440

Dave
[move][/move]

73WinnieIndian

Thank you Dave.

I found one online as well that is new.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/72-78-dodge-motorhome-400-440-exhaust-manifold-472355736

More money than the craigslist one, but we have to see if my Aunt feels like picking it up and giving it a ride for us.

jkilbert

Rockauto.com carries both rear and center drop manifolds. Look under D300 pickup.
$183 for the rear drop $225 for the center drop.

John
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

73WinnieIndian

Thank you everyone for your help. I found both sides for 145. shipped New parts. Yay! One more step closer. 

cosmic

I had a guy tell me at the motor home place that when you get off the highway not to just turn the rig off. but to let it idle for a few minutes. what this does is allow them to go from glowing red to cooling at a slower rate. if they cool to quick this is what causes them to crack. it makes sense. he said the hwy gas stations are the real killer on manifolds because you pull in shut down when red hot fill up and fire it again down the hwy. just something to think about.
I changed my once and do not want to ever do them again.... $@!#@!

Oz

That's correct, Cosmic.  Due to the heavy duty loads, it does only make sense and this is a commonly practiced RV tip to help avoid cracking those exhaust manifolds.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

73WinnieIndian

That makes sense. I will put that in our home made manual for the Winnie.

Sorry, no pictures yet, but I took them. We all got the flu after the holiday and it slowed us down.

As soon as I can figure it all out, I will put a link to photo bucket or Flicker...something like that to share our process with you.

We have all the parts out getting cleaned, bored, etc. Other parts on order. I got everything painted. All the little parts. Pretty soon. I forgot where we are at. A lot going on.

Thank you, thank you for all the information. I can't wait to get it on the road.

Oz

You can just attach the pics to your posts - 4 pics per post.

:)   :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

Old Man Powell

Last time I looked Rock Auto had them. Look under a dodge D300 pickup truck. Reasonably priced.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]