454 in-tank fuel pump, mechanical pump, and strainer sock part numbers? 89 P30

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, November 05, 2012, 07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Anyone have the part numbers available for the electric in tank fuel pump, the block mounted mechanical fuel pump, and the in tank strainer sock for a 1989 P30 chassis with a 454?

I want to at least get the parts this week, and maybe install them with new fuel filters, so I'd like to be armed with the part numbers when I go to NAPA to pick them up or order them.

Thanks guys!
Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Got all the parts!  The electric fuel pump is way smaller than I thought it would be, and the mechanical pump is HUGE!!!  Same one though, with 3 outlets.

By the way, if looking for a strainer for a P30 at NAPA, have them search for the 350 engine, since no part is listed for the 454.  The strainer for the 350 fits the pump listed for the 454.  I'll let you know if it looks different when I pull and replace it soon.

Also got the fuel filters and gaskets for everything.

I'll try to do the job on Friday, but catapults and stock to sell come first, so we'll see...otherwise, its Monday's project!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

HandyDan

Since this is something I want to do, I would appreciate a list of all the parts you have.  I don't have an intank pump, though.  Mine is on the outside.  Actually, now that I think about it, very few of what you have is going to help me.  I already have a new mechanical pump, the electric pump is different, and I doubt if the fuel sender is the same one.  Thanks, anyway.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Fuel delivery problem SOLVED!

Turns out that the electric in tank pump had come loose from its connector hose and the bottom mounting rubber bumper and strainer, and was just floating in the tank!

That explains why we were running out of gas at half a tank, since the pickup tube that connects to the electric pump only runs down to about half way, and it also explains our loss of power up hills!

So apparently we were running off just the mechanical pump lately...oi vey!  No wonder she was taking longer to start and was having a problem with hills!  I'm surprised we didn't get any vapor lock issues, although come to think of it, we did have a few minor burps along the way to NY and then to NC that seemed like vapor lock but went away so it wasn't noted as a severe problem.

Glad Holiday Rambler engineered this thing so well!  I was able to sit comfortably under the rear passenger side trailing axle wheel well and reach in OVER the gas tank with plenty of room and change the pump without removing the tank...SWEET!  :)clap

I then started the engine, which started RIGHT up this time, and checked the 3 fuel lines for leaks...no leaks...then changed the big frame rail fuel filter and the filter in the carburetor and checked those for leaks...no leaks!

I decided not to change the mechanical fuel pump, but will keep the new one as a spare, along with the old electric fuel pump which still works.  And according to Murphy's Law, since I have the spare parts, I'll probably never need them...lol!

Glad I changed out the electric pump, or would never have known it slipped its moorings!  I could still hear it running in the tank and assumed it was probably okay, but decided to change it out and solve all the fuel delivery issues once and for all.  Glad I did!

Kev

moonlitcoyote

I know you have an 89 Kev, But I am wondering if your fuel filters would be the same as mine. I am trying to locate mine so I can replace them to hopefully fix the chugging uphill problem. I found one filter on the frame near the front, but I'm sure there has to be another one somewhere? Where are yours located?

ClydesdaleKevin

If you found the big one on the frame, you found the one that is hard to find...lol.

The other one is in the carburetor itself, since you probably still have the stock Rochester Quadrajet.  Take off your air cleaner...the whole thing...so you can see the whole carburetor. See the steel fuel line going into the front of the carb?  You have to unscrew that from the big nut that houses the fuel filter.  Once the fuel line is disconnected, CAREFULLY unscrew that big nut from the carburetor.  Inside you'll find a long paper filter and a spring...NOTE the way it goes in!  Its open on one side with a rubber washer built on, and closed on the other.  Put it in the way it came out.  Also, if your filter doesn't come with a new nylon gasket for the filter housing (the big nut you unscrewed), then buy a set of filter gaskets, about 1.99 and save the ones you don't use...you get about 5 to a pack that will fit the Rochester Quadrajet.

Be VERY careful not to overtighten the fuel filter housing when putting the new filter in.  If you crack the carburetor body, its time for a new carburetor.

Kev

moonlitcoyote

Thanks Kev, I'm glad you told me not to over tighten. :) One other question, I guess I'll have to wait until I go uphill again to find out if that was the problem?

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep!  But it never hurts to eliminate inexpensive things from the equation.

Kev

HandyDan

I stumbled onto a website that might be helpful in this matter.  They rebuild sending units.  Don't know much about them, but finding correct sending units is getting hard to do.  It wouldn't hurt to investigate.  Probably cheaper than buying a new one.

http://tristarrradiator.com/

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

I'll actually be changing out the fuel filters today once it warms up a bit outside, so I'll post the fuel filter part number from NAPA.  1/2 inlet and outlet and they always have a hard time looking it up without a part number.  If I come across the box that has the spare old electric fuel pump in it I'll post that part number as well.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Hey Dave,

I didn't come across the fuel pump box today...its in a plastic tote that I didn't need to get into for today's projects...but I did get the NAPA fuel filter part number for you:

The one I took out:  NAPA Gold, 3299

And the one I put in today:  NAPA Gold, 533248

They look identical, so I don't know what the differences are or why they have different part numbers.

The inline filter I put in for the Edelbrock carb, with 3/8 inlets and outlets, is Napa Gold 3033.

Kev

cncsparky

Not sure why they would give you the other number filter, it appears that the original one, pt# 33299, is still available.  Maybe not in stock? The one they gave you shows to have a lot larger micron rating, meaning it will let bigger trash through the system. BTW- these are WIX part numbers so they should be available at most auto parts stores.

Part Number:
UPC Number:
Principle Application:
Case, Komatsu, New Holland - 1/2" Diesel In-Line - 100 Mesh Screen Media - can be used with gas or diesel
Applications
Style:
Fuel (Complete In-Line) Filter
Service:
Fuel
Type:
Media:
Height:
Outer Diameter Top:
Outer Diameter Bottom:
Closed:
Nominal Micron Rating:

Part Number:
UPC Number:
Principle Application:
GMC Motorhomes V-8 454 Eng. (89-91)
[/l]
[/t][/t][/t]
Applications
Style:
Fuel (Complete In-Line) Filter
Service:
Fuel
[/l][/l]
[/t][/t][/t][/t][/t][/t][/t][/t][/t][/t][/t][/t]
Type:

Media:

Height:
Outer Diameter Top:
Outer Diameter Bottom:
Closed:
Max Flow Rate:
1-2 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating:

-Tom

circleD

I finally was allowed some time to work on the camper today and I was going to do the frame inline fuel filter, vacuum hoses, and check the condition of all fuel lines. The filter is easy but I spent 45 minutes trying to remove the muffler so I could easily change it out. The muffler won and I worked around it. Anyone else have a muffler under the filter? I'm eventually going to put a fuel filter on like my diesel and relocate it to an open area. The vacuum line I bought was one size to small. I wired brushed the house battery area then vacuumed. I'll detail it before the house battery goes back in. Now here's a question for HR Imperial owners. My genny fuel line goes from gen, 2' of rubber, slid over a copper color hard plastic line, then the last 1' is rubber and goes onto a 90° nipple on top of the DS of the gas tank. The carb lines have 2 90°  nipples on the passenger side. So where is the sending unit at? I know some of you have in tank pumps. But does this sound like anyone else's fuel line set up? I'm buying a bore camera tomorrow to check out the gas tank and water tanks. I took pics of these hook ups. Sorry if I got off subject Kev but it seems that you have spent some time under your rig like I have.

ClydesdaleKevin

Different fuel line setup on ours.  From the middle of cap that goes into the fuel tank, there are 4 fuel lines coming out.  One is 1/2 inch and goes to a steel 1/2 line that is the primary fuel feed.  The 3 others also go to steel lines, but appear to only 1/4 inch.  Not sure why there are 4!

2 of the lines go up to the front...possibly return lines?  The third also goes to the front, but right near the genny it branches off in a T fitting, and another line goes from that line to the genny.

Kev

HandyDan

I was trying to get pictures of the top of my fuel tank, but there just isn't enough room to get it.  My set up is similar to what Kevin was describing except my fourth line is capped off.  There are just 90 degree tubes going into the top of the gas tank.  I don't know where or what my sending unit is, which is why I want to drop my gas tank next spring and just see what is in there. This is the best I could do:

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

circleD

Yep! Looks like my fittings on top. One on the drivers side and two side by side on the passenger side. I couldn't get my pics to upload. GOOD NEWS though! I bought that inspection camera today at Harbor Freight for $59 and the two year warranty for $25. I plan to use it by taking off my filler hose like when I siphoned the gas out and take a good look before dropping it. The tank might have 3 gallons left in it. I'm a fireman and know what can happen so I'm making precautions when doing this and look on top of tank for anymore signs of things comi g out of it. Then I'm going to check the grey and black water tanks. Then when I change spark plugs I'll put it in the plug hole and look at the heads. This camera is on sale until Sunday. I used it today and found the problem in one of the fire trucks at my part time place. This camera doesn't take video or pics but has a video out and I'm trying to rig up a recorder then take a frame out of it for jpeg and let you guys know. I'll have 2 of the triplets tomorrow but will try asap to get pics. And thank you Dan for taking pics!

cncsparky

That line isn't capped, its a vent.

Quote from: HandyDan on November 29, 2013, 09:52 PM
My set up is similar to what Kevin was describing except my fourth line is capped off.  :

-Tom

HandyDan

Thanks, I learned something new.  You can probably tell the rubber hose is cracked and probably venting anyway.  Another project for spring. 
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

circleD

OK Dan, I used the camera today and found on the DS rear top of the tank 2-3 inches forward a bolt with a wire that runs to the front. I'm guessing that's the sending unit for the tank. I didn't see anything else. When I went inside the baffles stopped me from seeing the good stuff. Good news is the tank and welds are CLEAN!! I will start a new thread so others can see and stop hijacking Kevs thread. Sorry Kev.  I did get some pics and will post them there. FYI, if you don't have a fuel pump inside of the tank there is only a 2" hole that the sending unit goes in and you can work on it sitting on the ground. Oh and I thought that was a vent tube but it was so dirty it did look like a bolt in the hose.

DonD

My turn to drop the tank  $@!#@!. On the way home today climbing out of PHX we had fuel starvation issues. Stopped and put on a new in line filter (The old had about 4000mi) and it was 90 percent better but still stumbled a bit. Have 1/2 tank dang it! The fuel line had very little fuel in it, more on the engine side really...
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

circleD

DonD

Don and Mary

DonD

In carb filter was clean but replaced anyway...the one way valve wasn't working.
Don and Mary

DonD

Went for a test run, all seems fine with both filters new. Pulled 3 steep hills w/o any hiccups.
Don and Mary

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28