83 Minnie Winnie A/C Unit "Prewired for optional heat"

Started by 83MinnieWinnie, November 04, 2019, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

83MinnieWinnie

Greetings! I'm planning to full-time it in my 83 Minnie Winnie and am brand new to RVing in general. Principal concern is heating during colder months, not wanting to burn through LP. In my search for the right RV, a couple I looked at included a heat strip in the A/C unit that enabled an electric heat source (ideally when plugged into a 20/30 amp service) The one I ended up with says it is "prewired for optional heat" What does this mean? Does it have a heat strip? How to tell short of turning it on and seeing if warm air comes out and if it doesn't, how easy/hard would it be to install one?
Thanks!

Rickf1985

Prewired for optional heat means the wiring is there for it, whether the heater strip is there or not you will have to see. You can usually see it inside the outlet of the AC unit if it is the one that hangs from the ceiling. These are not going to heat your RV, they will take the chill off on a slightly cool morning but that is about it. Out of three AC units I have had with them I have never felt anything that I would even call heat. An amp check on the line told me it was pulling more amperage than just the blower so it had to be on but I certainly did not feel it. Others may have different experience.

I just noticed your signature says you have a Minnie so it may do a little for you but it is not going to replace your heater. You need to insulate the roof vents and windows for a major boost.

83MinnieWinnie

TerryH

Insofar as heat is concerned, and you wish to avoid propane heat in lieu of electric, consider a stand alone electric space heater.
I would suggest one with a fan and especially two heat settings. High (1500W) and Low (750W).
Make sure that the draws are different - not one that is only 1500.
You will likely find that the low setting is adequate in most cases.
As far as 'Pre-wired', you will likely find various things within your unit that are as well. Common ones are roof vents. If it was an option for yours to have a vent with an incorporated fan, but yours does not, chances are high that the required wiring is in place.
Welcome, and enjoy!
Full-timing is quite nice.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

ClydesdaleKevin

You would be better off just getting a little ceramic heater.  That is what we use in our 32' class A when we are plugged into shore power, and they work great.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.