Lost Keys for the Locked Hatches

Started by Acuda4me, October 27, 2012, 01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acuda4me

Okay, I think I figured out WHY the PO of my 1970 Dodge Commander never used the appliances: he lost the access keys! I know I can buy new ones (hopefully all with the same key!) I wanna try to light the refridge and maybe even the furnace, but what's the best way to get the locks open? Big drill thru the tumbles? Screwdriver? Anybody got any suggestions?

ClydesdaleKevin

Before you do that, go down to an RV store and buy a few different keys...there were only a few key numbers used back then, like B0001, etc.  One of them should fit.  Then you won't have to destroy the locks and you'll have access to your compartments.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Elandan2

I have found that those locks will open with just about any key that fits in the slot.  We don't need to dwell on that topic.  :-[  Even if you dont have a key that will open it, putting a flat bladed screwdriver in the key slot and turning will probably twist the entire lock and allow you in.  It's not that these things are "high security" or something.  Hence the need for a real deadbolt lock on the entry door.  You also may find the key number on the face of the lock near the key slot, in that case, it is just a matter of purchasing the right key.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

JDxeper

Are you looking for the door key or the compartment(baggage doors) door?  The compartment doors are usually keyed with CH751 keys, unless the po changed them out.  These can be had at any RV place.  If it is the entry door, Rick has the answer.  If all else fails use the old credit card trick to slip the latch.
Good luck

JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Acuda4me

Thanks guys. It's the access doors to the heater and refridge, the entry door is trashed and needs a replacement, but NOT opening is not the problem with that one. One key on the ring fits the slots on both locks, but no amount of wiggling get's either to turn.  And the key I have that won't open them is labeled CH751

JDxeper

Also remember that the key will go in either way but will only work one way.  On my baggage doors the key goes in with the cut side of the key up to open, The key will go in the lock with the cut side down but won't open.  I know of someone who changed all the locks out then found out the the key was in wrong. D:oH!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ClydesdaleKevin

The two most common keys are CH751, and BH001...they both fit the same hole, but will only turn the appropriate cylinder.  Try the BH key if you can find one, especially since you said the CH key won't turn but fits the key slot.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

OldEdBrady

J236 (or similar.  That's a key with "teeth" on both sides.  J216K.  that's a key with "teeth" on one side.  I've purchased several new locks, and they seem to all use one or the other key.