Our US Travels

Started by moonlitcoyote, September 28, 2012, 08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

Tomorrow is our last full day here so we have a lot to do. Got to do all the laundry again, pack up the dog fence, put the rooftop carrier on the jeep, pack up all Michael's outdoor toys, empty and rinse all the tanks... Going to be busy busy busy.

ClydesdaleKevin

Have a safe and fun trip!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

M & J

Were you able to find something MJ? I wished I could have been more help.
M & J

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Thank you Dave, I have seen that and have used it quite a bit already. Although not all the places they say are free, are really free.

ORAR, I have not got as far as planning my KY stay yet, we wont be leaving AL for another 2 weeks if things go right. I think I found a free place we can stay for 2 weeks, and also a childrens museum I want to visit. But from what I remember just taking a quick look at the free places in KY I dont think there was anything in your area. But I DO want to stop at Visone RV when we get up in that area. I really need to pick up some parts.

Going fishing tonight, I need a break from all the packing. All I have left for tomorrow is to empty the tanks and do 1 more load of laundry, then we will hit the road. :)

DaveVA78Chieftain

Enjoy you break and have a safe trip - Dave
[move][/move]

M & J

Ok MJ. Your delay is better for us since will be on a weekend trail ride/camp the middle of the month should your travels bring y'all our way. The Daniel Boone National Forest is right up the road - less than an hours drive west on 64 from us.
We'll keep looking for options in the meantime.
Via con Dios mi amiga.
Happy trails, please be safe.
M & J

moonlitcoyote

I am so bummed, we pulled out this afternoon as planned but only managed to tow the Jeep about 15 miles before I decided I didnt like it. The winny seemed ALOT heavier and less comfortable driving while towing the Jeep. So we pulled over and unhooked the jeep and had Eddie follow me in the jeep. The winny felt much better without the extra 5000lbs connected to the back. But I was so looking forward to us all riding together. :(

We pulled into a flying J in Montgomery for the night, and I got to thinking we might spend tomorrow here as well since it's free and we still need to fill the propane and re-empty the tanks.

Then a minute ago, I got to thinking... I have 114 AH on my batteries that I could use, BUT, how do I use it? I dont have any 12v outlets.. Guess I'm gonna have to do some reading. 

DaveVA78Chieftain

LOL - You are at a flying J truck stop.  For the truckers, they normally have an automotive section that typically has 12VDC outlets you can wire in.  Didn't you already add one for a baby monitor a while ago?

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Yes I did, but it's in the back room with his mp3 player plugged into it. I actually have one in the dash, but it seems like the last time I used it, it didnt last very long. Maybe it's connected to the chassis battery instead of the house batteries.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Do you have a TV jack someplace?  That is most likely a 12VDC source.

Yes, dash lighter is chassis battery.

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Theres actually 2 dash lighters, I know one is chassis battery but for some reason I always thought the other one was from the house batteries. My inverter has battery clamps on it, so I can hook it direct to the house battery, but it just seems a pain to do it that way since I would have to undo it it all the time. Ah well for tonight I may just have to do that so I can run the baby monitor. .. I must have the only child in the world that doesnt call out loudly when they wake and want something, no Michael likes to lay there and beg in a whispered voice for a drink.

DaveVA78Chieftain

I used battery cables with ends cut off for the leads to run the cables up.  I inserted a CB in the path at the battery so I could shut it off when not using it

CB size depends on size of inverter.   Available at auto supply stores.   There is also versions of the CB in the "I want every one to hear my music section while I go down the road" parts section.    W%

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

I love the way you add pics Dave, it makes it easier to understand.

Our first planned stop fell through but we did find a boat ramp where we can spend the night and do some cat fishing at the same time.

On a side note, the Winny is having over heating issues. The fan doesn't seem to kick on when it should. Another problem to be fixed when we find a more stable place to stay

ClydesdaleKevin

Same breakers we used between the Morningstar charge controller and the solar panels and batteries on our solar power system.  Ours are made by Blue Sea, 80 amps, and sold at every West Marine.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

As they say, A picture is ....  :)

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Fished until 2:30 this morning and only got a couple of small cats then Michael woke and refused to go back to sleep until 5, yuck. So got him laying down resting while we sit here hoping for a fish to bite before we take off for the day. Going to head up to the next flying j and get  showers and laundry done. Tomorrow I hope to be at another lake, can you tell I love to fish. :)

DaveVA78Chieftain

LOL I'll be nice!  Enjoy your relaxing trip down the road.

DAve
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Thanks for being nice Dave, but I don't mind wise cracks.

Pulled into flying j but I'm feeling really shaky so going to rest a bit

M & J

If i was driving a motorhome and typing a messege in a forum i'd be shaky too.
M & J

moonlitcoyote

lol, actually I think the shakiness was a lack of sleep and way too much caffeine, I feel better now after eating and resting. Going to do some research and find a lake to visit tomorrow. So far all is well with the winny, except for the over heating issue. I hear the clutch fan kicking on so thinking there may be a problem with the electric fans.

Froggy1936

Hi ML are you sure its actually overheating or is the gauge lying to ya ? You can buy a radiator cap that has a temp gauge on it (advance auto) or get a thermal imager to see what the real temps are . If you are not boiling over and loosing coolant its probably not hot Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

moonlitcoyote

Thats a good question Frank, It hasn't gotten hot enough to make me pull over yet so I dont know if it is boiling or not. Usually when the gauge starts getting higher than normal I will try to coast a bit faster to get some air going through it, then it will cool down. I think I will check into one of those radiator caps with the temp gauge on it. Thanks.   MJ

moonlitcoyote

Getting ready to empty the tanks, fill the fresh water, add some gas to this beast and hit the road. Going to Guntersville, AL to do some fishing for a couple of days. It should only take us about 2 hours to get there then I can relax and enjoy mothers day :)

Eddie just looked at the front radiator and he thinks it might be getting hot because it is covered with dirt and grime. Gonna have to find a way to wash it off and see if that helps.

Froggy1936

Hi ML A lot of car wash,s have a hi pressure washing wand Just make sure it will reach as close as you can get to the bay . Before paying  The only thing that needs protecting is the alternator The water wont hurt anything else Also make sure the engine has had some time to cool off . If you would have unlimited hose removing the engine cover and doing the blowing from the rear of the rad would be optimal !   Other ways are strong vacuume From the frt or hi pressure air from the rear !Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.