Tube type tires vs tubless on split rims

Started by Winnie_the_bago72, September 06, 2012, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winnie_the_bago72

Sent: 6/6/2005 6:41 PM

Ok, another question. Since someone here mentioned Les Schwab out in the Northwest as having 7.50-17s in stock, I got in contact with them. The tires they have are 10 ply bias tubeless type, but they have the tube for them for split rims. My concern is that tubeless tires usually don't have much of a beading surface (the 16.5s on our dually ambulance had standard light truck beads, less than a half inch wide), where as our old tube type tires on the rig (including the one that self destructed last weekend) have about an inch wide square shouldered bead surface.

I was told the tires Les Schwab carries, even though they are called tubeless tires, will work on the split rims with the tubes in them. But since this is a large investment, I want to know for sure before having $1200 worth of tires, tubes and shipping. So if anyone out there has used the Express Bias Tubeless tires from Les Schwab with the tubes they sell, on split rims, let me know...

denisondc

Sent: 6/7/2005 8:43 AM

I havent used the Les Schwab tires, etc, But.... the physical demands on that bead are the same, whether the air pushing against it is pushing from inside an inner tube, or directly. You must also use a boot or tire liner, or whatever you like to call it. This rubber item prevents the tube from getting pinched into any gap between the bead of the tire and the rim.
I have extra wheels at home having Michelin tubeless radials, with compatible tubes in them, along with the boot, on the 17 inch split rims. The tubes say -useable with radial tires- on them. And I got those wheels/tires from a Travco owner, and they show signs of perhaps 10k miles of use.

P.S. I think the thickness of the steel at the rims, of the split rim wheels is slightly more than on the one-piece wheels used with tubeless tires.

Anyone have both types so they can compare and confirm/deny?

Winnie_the_bago72

Sent: 6/9/2005 6:02 PM

The split rims have about a 1" bead area, while the rims for tubeless tires tend to have about a 1/4-1/2" bead area. It seems possible that the bead on a tube type tire might work on a tubeless rim, but most tubeless tires don't have the 1" or so wide bead area that the tube type wheels have.

But it's ok, as I finally found a local Baltimore dealer for the Denman/Tornell tube type tires in the right size, for $101 each. I'm getting the full set, with tubes, mounted and balanced, for under $850, so I won't have any age cracked tires on the rig.

weretrees

I saw that Power king makes a tubeless bias ply that is 17.5. I also have a michelin radial with a tube in it on my motor home. It was repaired out of town this way. Its in the rear and is ten years old according to the D.O.T. number. But the tire is brand new. So what do you think of that situation. I'm thinking of using it  as a spare for now. Bought two new tires for the front. I bought two new Tornel 17.5 bias ply tubed tires. Putting them on the front. The rear tires are well maintained ten year old Tornels. Ive got to drive 7 hours. What you guys think?
Wannabango

Oz

Looking back on the experiences of others, there has been one member who ran on 13 year old, bias tires and didn't have any intent on replacing them until they showed signs of needing it.  There's plenty of warnings here about age versus what "appears" to be looking okay.  However, of hose who've run on them, I can't recall any who had an incident except one, which was as obvious as the nose on your face.  It was a huge... huge bubble on the sidewall.  That one couldn't be missed.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

salplmb

i always thought u were not supposed to mix radial and bias ply tires? is this what u have? i would go with the bias ply all the way around if u have new on the front. otherwise radials do make a difference.
hope this helps a little
sal