1956 Aljo Complete Rewiring~ Need help with schematics/basic layout

Started by tallulahruby, August 11, 2012, 07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallulahruby

So, not sure if I understand well enough to even ask the correct question or if asking for too much info on one post, but here goes...

I am renovating a 1956 Aljo travel trailer and planning on completely replacing all wiring. I want a challenge ;) I figured I would at least attempt as much as possible on my own. The existing wires are in pretty bad shape and since the skin if off for the most part, I wanted to put in whole new system so everything matches. (12v and 110v with a converter). The 110 cloth wire is very ratty, as well! I will not be having a refrigerator, AC, heater, water heater. So basically just outside lights and interior lights/outlets, water pump. Trying to keep it simple. I've been researching, watching videos, attempting to talk to local condescending rv supply people and trying to wrap my head around.

I guess I want to throw this out there to see if I am even on the beginnings of the right track and so I do not burn my little gem to the ground. So I apologize if my terms and wording are quite ignorant  :/ but I really want to learn! Once I get the big picture, I am hoping to do more research on each little area.

*This is what I have so far:

Socket for my car > 7 way cable (bargman) > junction box (with white wire grounded to front of trailer and then also running to back of trailer) > running wires for the front outside lights then along sides to back tailights (with a stop in the middle to the circuit breaker that's already there?). Am I even close?

*I also have a converter (Progressive Dynamics PD9245: 45 Amp Converter) that I am not sure how comes into play as far as where it needs to be connected. (I know I need it to have all lights working consistently either from hookups or battery).

*Also, I am not clear on how the 110v wire fits into the picture (all places it needs to connect).

*Someone told me to get a deep-cycle marine battery..? Also not sure where exactly that goes :/

Any input, advice, thoughts, opinions guidance, attempts to simplify would be greatly appreciated!  Any laughing, shaking head, rolling eyes will be accepted as I am quite used to it by now since I started this little project ;)

If you want to see photos, you can go here...http://tallulahruby.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-shin-bone-is-connected-to-knee-bone.html (hope it's ok to post link-just for photo reference)

Oz

As far as the deep cycle, marine battery is concerned, that's only if you need to run your lighting when not plugged into shore power.  If your Aljo isn't already equipped with what people with motorhomes call a "house" or "coach" battery, this would be an add-in to your existing system and requires additional wiring.

The converter you have is very outdated but can handle your use.  It converts your shore power to 12v for your interior lighting and anything else which runs off 12.

You can replace your existing, old wiring by simply replacing with new.

More technical info on specifics of wiring a converter, etc. will need to be provided by more of our gurus.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tallulahruby

Thanks so much for the response! Yes, so far everything you said makes sense and is the direction I'm headed. Really appreciate the feedback!  :)

Oz

It looks like you've really been doing you homework on restoring this vintage Aljo.  I'm sure you're going to have a ball with it!

:) :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tallulahruby

Thanks so much! Yes, it has been quite the adventure and I love learning about it all. Already know how I am going to do some things differently on the next one ;).  Can't wait to take her on a little road trip or rally!

Stripe

Wow, cool pics, CLOTH COVERED WIRES, I have not seen that since I did a home inspection of a Victorian home in Upstate NY back in 2001/2002. (not quite clear on the year it was in Dec 01 or Jan 02 and was recalled to active duty in the middle of Jan 02).  Even got to see the old fuse box and the ceramic insulators they used for putting the wires through studs and there were even Coke bottle necks for what I conjectured was a homeowner remedy for a broken insulator.  The original wires we not hooked up to power, and the homeowners are not allowed to remove them or the box due to the historical value of the home. (You should have seen the huge copper cistern they had in the attic!)

Good luck with that restore. Can't wait to see the end results!

CMM500
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

tallulahruby

Oh, that must have been quite a sight! Love old electrical/hardware.
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm quite anxious to see how she comes out. No matter what, the process has been not only a completely rewarding experience, but also a catalyst for a life change ;).