Author Topic: First trip AC had issues and now not working  (Read 601 times)

Offline brunson67

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1990
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: 454
First trip AC had issues and now not working
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:39 AM »
Hello all,

I just had our first trip in our 1990 Winnebago Chieftain. We went to our local camp ground in our community. I hooked up on Thursday, had the air blowing cold air, got to the camp ground Friday evening and no AC. Once I figured out the main breaker had tripped, I reset and everything seemed pretty good. Throughout Saturday (we had 110 plus temperatures by the way), the AC unit was struggling. Keep in mind, this campground is a 30 amp hookup, so I could only run one AC unit at a time. Most of Saturday the main breaker kept tripping. By Saturday evening it seemed okay, I ran the back unit all night and kept the coach comfortable. By Sunday, the hottest day, I could get the AC units to come on, the front just blows hot air, seems like the compressor isn't kicking on. The rear I'm not sure, I checked it last night running the generator and it seemed to start to blow cold air. I've been reading that if the shoreline power is dropping below what it should, you can damage electrical systems, such as AC. Any thoughts on what may have gotten damaged, and what I should do in the future to avoid this? Thanks!
PS - I also had issues with my fridge not working,, but I think I know what we did to create this issue, so Ill post that in a separate heading.

Offline Oz

• "So let it be written; so let it be done!"
Re: First trip AC had issues and now not working
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 12:43 PM »
Any1?
Previously enjoyed our '74 - D24 Indian & '74 - D24 Indian Custom

Offline Rickf1985

• Year: 1989
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: 454
Re: First trip AC had issues and now not working
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Well, kind of left us hanging with the teaser about the fridge. What did you do that would cause a problem with the fridge? it may be related. Not likely since the fridge is 12 volt but see my point? I would venture a guess that if the voltage was dropping below 100 volts you may have lost the capacitors. Voltage goes down, amperage goes up. There are protectors for your shore line just for that type of thing to protect the RV against spikes and brownouts. They are not cheap but then again, neither are replacement AC units.

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoying all the benefits  Full Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

* Salvage Yards

Find
RV Salvage Yards

By STATE

* Resources

Need parts and information?