Pop-up to Oshkosh

Started by HandyDan, July 20, 2012, 02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyDan

Piggy-backing on Kevin's blog on his adventures from Renasannce (I can't spell it!) Faires, I am leaving to attend the mecca of campers and aircraft.  The group will consist of myself, my Number One Son, my Number Two son and his wife.  We will be traveling in my 2007 Chevy Suburban pulling a Jayco 1206 Pop-up camper.  For those unfamiliar with Airventure at Oshkosh, just think of a 200 acre pasture completely covered with every kind of camping devise known to man.  From tiny pup tents to multi-million dollar motorhomes all camping together.  And there are airplanes, too.  Acres and acres of airplanes parked wingtip to wingtip. I'll try to update each evening and give some highlights.  We are leaving Saturday at noon and expect to arrive by midnight.  Dan

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Sounds like fun!  Have a great time Dan!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

JDxeper

I thyink TJ-LJ go every year.  I was there many moons ago, quite a show.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

Lauren and I have been fortunate to Fly in the Warbird Air Show for 22 years. Unfortunately do to the US Homeland Security it hasn't been worth the hassle to fly our L-16's into the States. If ya think of it and get a chance drop around the REPLICA FIGHTERS ASSOC. building and say hi to the gang from Lauren and T.J.

Oz

That must be a TOTALLY awesome event, Dan.  Good thing for digital cameras of today (and cell phones with built-in cameras).  I can imagine how many rolls of film and how much it would cost to develop all the photos you'd want to take with an old time camera (really?... and phonographs and 8 tracks and cassettes, and dial phones... )

Have a GREAT Time!  If you see any really cool, rare, or odd RVs, post photos of them in the General Album!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

HandyDan

T.J.,  I've seen your planes before!  I remember them well.  A friend of mine has a Taylorcraft L-2 that was parked next to yours several years back. 
Mark, If you could just see all the prints I have of airplanes taken way before digital.  I started going to Oshkosh in 1979.  Used to go every year for 12 years, but family, job, and other activities kept getting in the way but we managed a few trips intermittantly.  We started going back five years ago.  Flew up and camped in a tent under the wing for two years, drove up and tent camped two years, and last year we took the pop-up. 
We've got the Jayco all packed and ready to go.  Just have to wait for Son #1 to send his boss off to Scottsdale, AZ tomorrow morning and then we are off. 
Mark, Here's my favorite plane from last year.  It is vintage and even has a wing walker.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

:)rotflmao   Love the old plane!  The only air show I ever went to is one my dad took me too when I was a kid...somewhere near Groton, CT.  I was only about 10 years old, and remember being in awe of the flight formations of the Blue Angels.  Neat stuff!

Have a great time Dan, and safe travels!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

HandyDan

We pulled into the campground at 11:36pm.  I have come to unaappreciate the comfort of the back seat of a Suburban.  You would think a car that big could have more move around room and certainly be easier to get in and out.  If you have a size 13 shoe, like me, getting it out the door is next to impossible.  As we pulled into the registration area, there was a stream of campers following us.  The nice young girl at the counter said we were a day early and would have to charge us $24 for Saturday.  I said we could wait 17 minutes and it would be Sunday.  However, in their world Sunday doesn't begin until 5:00am.  So I doled out the $24 for 17 minutes of Saturday.  Not a happy start.  We managed to get almost the same camping spot as last year.  We are just two sites over.  We are in close walking distance to 8 regualr porta-potties and one handicap one.  The dumpster is next to them.  We are a short walk from the showers, and the Red Barn Country Store.  Life doesn't get much sweeter than this.  We got the pop-up set up without waking all the neighbors, and just threw things together so we could get some sleep.  We were all dead tired from the 10 hour trip so we all crashed for the night.  The planes are arriving by the droves this morning.  A whole mass of Piper Cubs came in yesterday and pretty well fill one area with yellow.  This is their 70 anniversary so the little Cub is being honored this year.  The RV mass arrival is scheduled for 1:00pm today.  That's RV airplanes, not campers.  Those are kit built airplanes that are very popular today.  My son owns one. 
We are parked across the road from a very nice older Itasca, but there are motorhomes of every make and model scattered around.  There certainly isn't an under 10 rule here.  I'll get around and take some pictures of some cool motorhomes and post them when I can.  For now, I'm trying to catch up on my lost sleep. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteThe RV mass arrival is scheduled for 1:00pm today.

And here I thought it was some sort of Sunday religious church event

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

Hosted by The Church of Latter Day RVs.... LOL!   :)rotflmao

LJ-TJ

Hey HandyDan keep the reports coming for those of us that can't make it. The wife is seriously starting to talk about flying in next year. :)ThmbUp

HandyDan

What a great adventure this is turning out to be.  Yesterday I wrote up a whole days worth of activities, but when I went to post it, my aircard died and so did my computer.  I have been trying to find it but so far it is lost in space.  I had been feeling ill ever since we got here but I thought it would go away.  We went out to eat last night and I took one look at the food and left the resturant.  Today I woke up to the dry heaves.  Here I am 600 miles from home and I'm sicker than a dog.  I'm staying in camp today until I feel better.  I think the old body is finally telling me I'm not a kid anymore.  Ten days at Scout Camp then two days to pack for this trip and now miles of walking.  I think it is time to slow down.  The mass arrival of  aircraft was impressive.  And yes, Dave, there was a Catholic Morman Rabbi near the end of the runway blessing each plane as it landed.  There were 40 RV airplanes in one gaggle and they buzzed the field, let out some smoke, and peeled off for landing.  Keep in mind these are not professional pilots, they are just common folk like you and me.  Well, like me, anyway.  On the other runway they had the warbirds landing in mass.  All told there were about four aircraft touching down at the same time every 30 seconds.  And to show how crazy this is, in the middle of all the mass arrivals, a B-56 bomber landed and a CASA jet.  It is amazing how the air traffic controllers keep everyone separated and safe.  No causualties so far.  There must be at least 50 Piper Cubs all parked together.  It is solid yellow in that part of the field.  And the odd thing is, the aircraft pilot only listens to the controller, they don't speak. No transponders or anything and it works.  Try that Ohare International.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Sounds like you are having a great time, and I hope you feel better soon!  Hey, ever see the Itasca RV Helicopter that Winnebago made way back when?  Its pretty neat!

Kev

HandyDan

I' m sorry I haven't written more.  To be honest I have been so sick I haven't felt like doing anything.  The kids insisted that I go to the First Aid station.  I had a fever of 102.8.  The nurse wrapped me in ice cold towels and started handing me GatorAid.  After sitting in their air conditioning for an hour I started to feel better.  The EMS guy suggested we go see an indoor movie.  Yes, tbey have outdoor ones here in the campground. Instead we went to Barnes & Nobles for a book for my dil.  They left me sitting like a homeless person while they looked for books. Today I started to perk up a bit.  I went with the kids to ghe Eaa museum.  Met some Tuskegee airmen and watched a video about how they rebuilt and rebuilt a Mustang P51C for the project. That was all I could do today but I got to see some of the airshow while riding the tram back from the museum
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

LJ-TJ

Your making me home sick. Lauren and I haven't been able to make Osh for a few years now. Slow down and pace yourself. Drink lots take the trams when ever you can. You'll do good. Sounds like your trying to cram to much into to short of time. Try to eat good, good meals and stay away from the crap junk food. When ya can keep the reports coming and if you can throw in a few pic's. LOVE YOUR MOM. :laugh:

HandyDan

Today I finally feel like a real person again.  I ate a good breakfast, had a long shower, and went out in town for some ice.  I'm sorry about the pictures.  Between my kids and myself we have taken quite a few, but trying to upload them on this sloooow internet service is frustrating.  I have been trying to upload a picture of a converted bus to Photobucket and it has taken 30 minutes.  I have my own Verizon MiFi 2200 air card but there are so many people on the network that it just doesn't work well.  It is still faster than the campground wifi.  If we go out in town again, I'll try to post some out there and see if it works any better. 
Yesterday we were shaken out of bed by an F18 or something jet flying over the campground at high speed.  No need for an alarm clock!  Nothing like jet noise early in the morning.  Then some big heavy stuff started arriving.  If you like peace and quiet, this isn't your campground.  I  ventured down to the Air Market, kind of like an aircraft flea market or garage sale.  It's alway fun to see what people no longer want, and of course there are also all the sunglasses, back massager, get your name written on a board people there.  I haven't been in any of the exhibit buildings, yet.  I haven't felt well enough to go that far, but tomorrow may be the day.  We are also planning a trip to the Seaplane Base to see the float planes.  No matter how hot it is, the seaplane base is a cool oasis.  Today our Coleman EasyUp canopy got hit with a gust of wind and bent in the middle.  I put number one son on it while we went for ice.  He had it fixed by the time we got back but he was gone and hasn't been seen since we left.  He probably found some old flying buddies and is hanging out with them. 
I have found some cool old motorhomes but in general there aren't very many of the old stuff, just newer old stuff.  There is a white and blue Travco that has the door in the middle instead of near the front.  I've not seen any older American Ramblers and I have never seen any the last few years here.  Across the road from us is what I believe is a 1989 Itasca SunCruiser that is in amazingly good shape.  I'd take it any day.  There are a number of little Casita and Scamp trailers.  I don't know how people camp in those.  They certainly aren't my size.  Every heard of a TEC pop-up?  There is one right next to us and it has to date back to the 70's.
Well, my battery going dead popup just came on so I'm posting for now.  Try for pictures later.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

LJ-TJ

:)clap Hang in there big guy it only gets worse. Trying to decide what to look at next. Wish we were there with ya.Keep the post coming.

HandyDan

I quit posting.  I'll explain why tomorrow.  At the moment we enjoying our last day.  In a couple hours we will go listen to the Bloose Brotbers and then head for the flight line for the big finale night airshow.  Last year it was the hit of the week.  Planes with flames and super bright lights.  Only at Oshkosh.  Those pesky Japanese Zeros blew up the runway today, but the B-29 bomber blew up the whole airfield.  Noise, smoke and fire.  Life doesn't get any better than that!
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Oz

Wow, sounds like an awesome pyrotechnics show along with the planes!

ClydesdaleKevin

So glad you started feeling better, Dan, and were able to enjoy the rest of the show!  I hope you had an outstanding time!

Kev

HandyDan

Well, the son and I loaded up the pop-up again and headed out Saturday morning  to 2013 AirVenture at Oshkosh.  We stopped for the night at Brodhead, WI where the Hatz/Pietenpol planes have a gathering before the big show.  They have a whole airport full of antique airplanes at Brodhead and put on a delicious pork chop dinner.  I have never seen so many flyable antiques in one place before other than Oshkosh.  After spending a COLD night there we headed off to Oshkosh Sunday morning.  Upon arrival and setting up the pop-up, I immediately broke one of the cables on the lifter to the front right corner.  Luckily, one of the poles for the awning was just the right length to hold the top up, so we are still good.  The campground is full of every kind of camping device known to man.  There are tiny backpacking tents to multi million dollar RVs.  We are camped between a Class B Dodge and a tiny tent.  Across from us is a fairly new Bounder, a square shaped Airstream and a later model Holiday Rambler.  Behind us is a pop-up truck camper and a Coachmen Class A.  The Monday airshow was great.  Dusty, the star of the new Disney movie "Planes" showed up for the airshow and flew some aerobatics.  The first public showing of "Planes" will be here on Friday night at the Flyin Theater.  The first two US certified Honda Jets showed off and the Terrafugia flying car showed how it can go from a car to a plane in just seconds.  The wings unfold and all airplane controls lock into place all from buttons in the cockpit.  Today the Jetman is going to fly.  Just think of a scaled down version of Ironman.  Last night was a concert by Chicago. Well, off to the flight line to wear out my knees.  I'll post some pictures tonight.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

maxximuss

That's awsome sounds like allot of fun.

HandyDan

This is our little home away from home.  That is my oldest son in the doorway.

Last year I had a lot of problems posting anything to the internet, but this year they have provided these neat little  buildings with electrical outlets, tables, and fast Wi-Fi so I can breeze through uploading anything.  The Airventure grounds turns into a mini-city during the airshow.  They have their own transportation system, sanitation system, grocery stores, security force, entertainment district, streetlights, public showers, and communications network.  Here is a picture of just a fraction of the campgrounds.

As you can see, there are tiny tents and motorhomes all sandwiched together, and yet it all works. 

Today the Jetman flew during the four hour long airshow.  He goes up in a helicopter, lights off the two jet engines and jumps out.  He flew around for a bit before landing with a parachute.  He just has a little delta wing strapped on his back with two little jet engines and he flies around like IronMan or Superman (if Superman had jet engines).  It was cool.  They, also, did a salute to the Korean War and had over 50 military planes from that era flying around at the same time.  They ranged from Cessna Birddogs, to B25 bombers.  There were Stearmans, Navions, T-28s, SNJs (and their other designations), a few Russian and Japanese planes, some Tigersharks, P51s, and an OV1 Mohawk.  There were others but I can't remember all their names or numbers.  Oh, just to make things exciting, there was a helicopter flying in the crowd, too.  It is amazing how they can get all these planes in the air together without running into each other.  It is even harder to land them all, but somehow they manage.
There are NO active military aircraft this year, thanks to our government.  However, that hasn't deterred the awesomeness of the event.  You would not believe how many civilians own ex-military aircraft and love to show them off.  Size doesn't seem to matter.
I took a couple of pictures of some vintage little trailers I found near our camper.  They were cute.  The one has stickers on the rear window that indicates they have been pulling this blue camper to Oshkosh since 1995.

Tomorrow I am going to check out the EAA museum and Pioneer Airport.  I've been wanting to take a helicopter ride in an old Bell 47G like in MASH.  I might break down and do it.  We are also going to sit through a couple of seminars on engine care and aircraft covering.  Tomorrow night is the big night time airshow.  They put fireworks and special lights on the planes and do aerobatics in the dark.  It should be awesome.  It would be nice if the weather would warm up a bit.  After the sun goes down it drops into the 50s.  Definitely jeans and jacket weather.  Well, I'm off to charge the batteries.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Lefty

That is one event that I have always dreamed of attending some day!!
Thanks for the pictures and am glad your feeling better.. nothing worse than being sick when on a trip.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

ClydesdaleKevin

Awesome Dan!  Sounds like another grand adventure!

Kev