New York, 2012

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, July 14, 2012, 07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

The Splendide Washer/Dryer is installed!  And my drain system for it works like a charm!  It ended up being an all day project though, between the install of the vent and the very long drive through Newark and whatnot, then all the way back.  It was pretty cute though when Sheba stuck her nose out the hole I drilled for the dryer vent while I was installing it outside...just to say hi...lmao!

So we now have a washer/dryer...no more laundrymats!!!  Woohoo!

I didn't have the time or the energy at the end of the project...and it was my birthday...to go out and get materials, so that is the first thing on the list this morning.  Thus the reason I'm up so darn early.  Then I'll be pretty much just working on the Jeep today.  I have to install the Posi-lok cable to get the 4 wheel drive back up and running, and will probably go ahead and install the tow bar mounts on the bumper as well, and the break away switch and get that out of the way.  If it stays dry out I might do some of the frame scraping and POR-15, but it all depends on the weather.

Okay, gotta have my coffee and get the day started...lots to do!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

I got all the materials and whatnot in time for my worker Todd to start cutting out parts at 10 am, then surprised Patti by bring home a brand new bone colored porcelain sink for the bathroom, as well as a brand new shiny brass faucet and all the stuff necessary to install it.  The original plastic sink in there was faded and yellowed, and since the shower is bone colored and in perfect condition, and since the toilet is brand new, the sink stuck out like an ugly sore thumb.  And the brass plated plastic faucet that was in there was peeling and cruddy looking.  Install didn't take long, and now the bathroom looks great!  I even painted the edges of the countertop to match, since the formica had peeled off the edges.  Another mission accomplished!

Then I installed the Posi-Lok cable in the Jeep, which surprisingly went very smoothly.  Turns out that while the vacuum motor still worked on the stock axle lock, the switch was broken off the housing and that is the reason the light on the dash wouldn't come on when in 4 wheel drive.  Because the switch was broken off there was no way to replace it anyway, and gear oil was leaking out the hole left in the housing by the switch.  The kit they sent was very complete, and the install was clean and smooth.  Now I simply switch the transfer case into 4x4, then pull the big knob under the dash, and the 4x4 is engaged, and the light comes on.  Then to go back to 2 wheel drive, you shift the transfer case back to 2 high, push the red button on the knob and push the knob back in...the light goes out, and the front axle disengages smoothly and positively.  And no more leaks from the front axle...woohoo!  Another mission accomplished!

The next 3 days is going to be furious catapult building for the coming 3 day weekend...and since they are predicting awesome weather all 3 days, we are going to need a lot of catapults!

Depending on how much we make, we might get 3 solar panels...if we do insanely well, we'll get 4 and just flat mount them to the roof.  940 watts of solar would be awesome, with no reason to make complicated slanting mounts.  Even 705 watts would probably do the trick flat mounted.  Of course, 4 panels would mean the more expensive 65 watt Morning Star MPPT controller, but its not much more expensive than the 45 watt version.  We'll see how the weekend goes!

Monday, during the faire, I'll run out to get materials for the week so we don't get behind for next weekend, leaving Patti and her son Joe in the booth by themselves for a couple of hours.

Gonna finish my coffee leisurely, then get to work with my employees at 10 am.  Lots and lots of catapults to build!

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

So, definitely 3 panels instead of 4, flat mounted to make them secure and well supported.  705 watts, with the 45 amp controller.  All that will fit up on the roof is 3, and the third will require relocating the CB antenna.  With that much solar and six batteries, I'm guessing keeping them flat mounted they will still produce more than we need...SWEET!

Got all the Bandit and Twister catapults done and stained yesterday...my new workers are awesome!...so today its another 120 catapults, plus prep work for the trebuchets and ballistas to be built on Friday.

Busy 3 day weekend coming right up!  Now if I can just find the time to go get the solar panels...lol!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We pushed out 120 more catapults to completion yesterday, including staining them...woohoo!  Today Todd has the day off, so Sprout is coming in for about 4 hours to help me with the trebuchets and ballistas today, do some prep work for next week, and some shop cleanup. 

Todd accidently planed some of the thicker wood I needed for the larger catapults, so I have to run to Home Depot here shortly to get more so I can get to work by 10am.  Also gonna walk up and down the rows and try to get some mounting ideas on the cheap for the new solar panels. 

Gonna be a stellar weekend!  Solar here we come!

Kev

HandyDan

Kevin, I am presently in my motohome at Truman Lake in the middle of Missouri.  Before leaving I installed a tach in the dash since this model never came with one.  I discovered that when cruising on the highway at 60mph the tach was reading 3000rpm.  Is that a normal reading for 60mph?  It seems high to me but I don't have anything to compare it to except my Suburban and it cruises at 1800rpm at 60.  If 3000 is normal, then it is no wonder that motorhome engines don't seem to last very long. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

gadgetman

73 440 727 trans 3k rpm, 65 mph  so yea its correct, mine likes 2800 to 3400 for its power curve peak. pretty responsive in that rpm range. so I try and cruise at 2800 and break the speed limit down hill to 3400 and hold the pedal there to make that long uphill run ahead.  ;) 

Anything below 1800 to 2100 pulling a hill I will drop it into 2nd so I dont lug it and build trans heat.

ClydesdaleKevin

That's normal, Dan.  At 55-60 mph, which is where I keep her most of the time, our tach reads right around 2700 rpm.  Pushing 65 or more downhill to make the next grade easier, she'll tach around 3000.

One of the reasons its very important to change your oil every 3k and make sure the cooling system is functioning flawlessly...these engines work hard in these beasts!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Got all the trebuchets and ballistas done and stained by 6pm last night.  Have to go set them up in the booth soon (Patti already set up all the rest of the catapults in the booth yesterday) so I can get back to camp in plenty of time to shower and shave and whatnot.

Going to be a very busy weekend!

In order not to mess up the production schedule next week, on Monday morning, after Patti and her son Joe get to the booth, I'm going to take off and get materials, then get back to the booth as soon as I return.  Also thinking of leaving early on Monday, right around 6pm when things quiet down, to go pick up the solar panels in New Jersey...its a long ride to get them.  Then Patti and Joe can close up the booth and meet me back at camp, and it won't be super late when I get back to the camp.

Should be an awesome weekend!  I hope we do well enough to order the shocks for the RV while we are at it, so I can install them after next weekend.

Off I go!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Great day yesterday!  We made more than enough to buy the panels, and we still have 2 more busy days to go!

At Gadgetman's advice, I'll be spending an extra 130 bucks and getting the 60 amp charge controller, especially since I be saving way more than that now that I know I don't have to completely frame off each panel in very expensive aluminum.

We have plenty of stock, so I'm hoping we not only make enough for the rest of solar system, payroll, next week's groceries and materials, etc., but I'm also hoping we make enough to order all six shocks and the new steering stabilizer for the RV, so I can have them in hand to install next Monday and Tuesday.  That is also the week I plan on getting the 2 new tires for the RV, so I'm hoping the weather gods are kind this year and we continue to have great weather!

So many projects and so little time!  Before we leave to Carolina I still have to troubleshoot the coolant leak in the RV...hopefully its just the crappy radiator hoses and not the radiator...change the hoses, change the water pump, change the fan clutch, change the radiator cap, and refill the system with fresh coolant.  At a bare minimum, I have to put a new chassis battery in the rig and fix the headlight plug...I'm hoping that is the extent of my chassis electrical woes...and I have to check the output of my alternator and make sure its still good, and replace it if its not.

Also have to fix the huge hinge and frame on the bed platform, and install the additional freshwater tank, plumbing, and additional water pump...the crappy Northern Tool one works like crap for refilling the main tank, so I install a new Sureflo pump for my main system, and use the old pump for a transfer pump.

And then if I can squeeze it in, I still have to scrape the Jeep frame, degrease it, coat the whole thing in POR-15, fabricate some steel parts, have the body shop weld them in, and install new rear shocks and a new steering stabilizer in the Jeep.  If necessary this can wait until Carolina, but I want to try to get it done.

Also have to install the tow bar brackets on the Jeep, the breakaway switch for the Break Buddy, and figure out what I'm going to do about tow lights, since the ones we have are magnetic and won't stick to the Jeep hardtop.  This can't wait until Carolina, obviously.

And all the while, we have to keep up maximum production on the catapults for the duration of the show.

Yikes!  So much to do!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Super busy and profitable day yesterday!  Still have stock for today, but we are probably gonna be almost sold out by the end of the day.  Not a bad problem to have!

I'll be opening the booth this morning, and then once Patti and her son Joe arrive, I'll take off to Home Depot and pick up this week's materials before we get too busy.  It gets the busiest for us between 1 and 5 pm.  Gonna have to call the solar panel guy too and find out when the earliest time tonight is for me to come by and pick up the solar panels.  I'd like to be able to meet him around 6pm, and its about an hour drive, so if I left at 5 I wouldn't have such a long crazy drive after working all day.

Having the new Jeep Wrangler is awesome, but space for big stuff can be an issue sometimes.  These panels are 64.5 inches long and 38.7 wide, so I'll have to remove the rear seat, and chances are I'll still have to ride home with the rear hatchback on the hardtop open and the panels sticking out the back, resting on the spare tire.  I'll have to bring a couple of blankets with me and some straps to tie the panels down and to tie the hatchback down so its not flapping around in the wind.

Today should be another awesome and profitable day, so we don't think ordering the shocks for next week is going to be a problem.  Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Kev

Wantawinnie

Glad to hear business is going good, hopefully, it makes up for Kentucky. :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

Not even a comparison to Kentucky...lol!  And with my new employees I actually have time to work on my projects, and have money to get things for the projects at the same time.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Got the new panels yesterday and man are they nicely made!  We had another great day yesterday, even without me in the booth.  I opened the booth until Patti and Joe arrived, then went and got materials for this week's catapult run and brought them back to the workshop, then I made the drive and got the panels and brought them back.

Today, while my worker Todd cuts out parts, I'll be making the trek to a metal supply shop in New Jersey and see if they have any Z shaped aluminum extrusion so I can make mounts for my solar panels...turns out the mounting holes are under the panels, so L brackets won't work.  Supposed to rain all day, so I'll simply get the materials for the panel install today, or worst case scenario order aluminum Z brackets off of eBay so they'll be here for next week's project days.  Also gotta call the RV store and see if they have any Eternabond tape in stock and go pick it up if they do...otherwise I'll have to order that as well.

I'll see if I can find shocks and the steering stabilizer for the RV while I'm out, but again, if not I can just order them off of eBay for cheaper.

Also gotta order the 60 amp Morningstar Tristar MPPT charge controller today as well.

Found a place in Middletown, NY that can get and mount the Michelin XZA 8r19.5 tires on the rims, so I'm waiting for a call back on a price quote.

Gotta go!  Lots to do!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So the only place within a reasonable driving distance that can get, and then mount and balance, the Michelin XZA 8R19.5 tires for us wants 1200 bucks for just 2 tires!  And I have to pay them up front before the even order the tires, and it will take a week to get them in.

I went to the RV store for the Eternabond tape, and while there noticed they had tires in the back...no 8R19.5s, but they referred me to a place called Cherry Tire that they use,and that all their customers use and are very happy with.  Its a long haul trucker tire shop right down the road.  They quoted me 380.00 for 2 brand new Samson 8R19.5 tires, model AP GL283A, mounted and balanced...and all I have to do is call them and they can have the tires in the next day, and mount them and balance them on the spot when I bring the old tires and rims.  I compared the spec sheet for them to the Michelins and they are identical in every way...its really tempting!  I'm still waiting to hear back from the group on the tires...I posted it in a different post under Chassis General...but according to Cherry Tire they've been using them for years in the trucking industry and they've never had any issues with them...and supposedly they make a darn good steering tire.  All the internet reviews were good too, both from RVers and long haul truckers...it might be a good option!

No luck finding aluminum to make my own brackets for the solar panels, so I shelled out 88 bucks on eBay and ordered enough aluminum Z brackets to mount them, complete with stainless steel hardware, for cheaper than I could make my own and buy the hardware...SWEET!

Also ordered the Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60 amp charge controller, remote monitor panel, and mc4 wire connectors, so they should all be here by next Monday and Tuesday so I can complete the installation of the system.  When all is said and done, I'll have about 2000 bucks wrapped up in my 705 watt solar system, so I hope it works well!

They also had a used 40 gallon freshwater tank at the RV store that would fit perfectly under the bed as a secondary water tank for boondocking, so if they'll make me a good enough deal on it, I'll pick that up next week.

For the next 3 days its gonna be fast and furious catapult making for next weekend...the 3 day weekend sold us out of a lot of stuff, so we have to build a lot...glad I have awesome employees!

I decided to hire a lady friend of ours to do the rust scraping and degreasing under the Jeep since I just won't have the time, and I'll buy a cheap paint sprayer for my compressor and spray the POR-15 on the frame...should get better coverage, and lots faster, that way.

The composting toilet is working very well, and my black tank to grey tank conversion works perfectly...even with Patti doing a load of laundry every day, we are still able to go a whole week without dumping the grey tanks...SWEET!

I haven't had time to work out on the Nordic Track for the last 2 weeks, but I'm sticking to my guns on the Atkins diet...203 lbs as of this morning, which is over 60 lbs lost so far!

Okay...got stuff to do...enough rambling...

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Got all the Twister and Bandit catapults done and stained yesterday, and a whole bunch of prep work done for today's builds.  Should be a fairly early day for my crew today, although I want to keep going until around 7pm so I can have a short day tomorrow.

Looks like we are going to go with the Samson tires...we'll let you know how they hold up! 

So now I'm off to the Home Depot to get 4 more pine boards since my overzealous employee Todd thought the ones I bought were poplar wood, and planed them and cut them up for parts for next week...lol!  Also got to return the flourescent light bulbs I just bought yesterday...the kind that screw into a regular fixture.  3 of the 4 failed on the first day of use!  Gonna get a different brand.

I'm off to go get stuff done!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We got the whole run of catapults done and stained by 4:30, and we all called it an early day...still pretty worn out from the 3 day weekend!  I'm going to get an early start today on the trebuchets and ballistas so at least I won't have a late night...

Gotta call Cherry Tire today and have the 2 Samson tires ready at the shop for Monday, when I'll bring the rims in and have them mounted and balanced.  Also gonna pick up the holding tank from RV dealer while I'm there...if it will fit in my Jeep with the 2 tires...lol. 

The brackets for the solar panels will be here today or tomorrow, so I'll be able to get the panels mounted to the roof on Monday and Tuesday, although the mc4 connectors and charge controller and monitor won't be here in time for then...so I'll have to complete the system the following Monday and Tuesday.

I also have to call the local Interstate Battery store today to make sure they can get me two more identical golf cart batteries by Monday so I can install them this week. 

My goals this coming week are to get the panels installed on the roof and all the wiring run for them, plus the wind fairings, get the batteries and install them, get the tires and install them, get the new freshwater tank and just put it under the bed for now (I can hook it all up in North Carolina), order the shocks for next M and T, and hopefully have time this week to drill holes in the Jeep bumper and install the mounts for the tow bar brackets, and install the Brake Buddy breakaway switch.  Running out of time to get everything done!  Before we can leave I have to install the shocks, grease all the fittings on the rig, check the rear diff fluid, replace all the radiator hoses (after troubleshooting where the coolant leak is coming from), replace the radiator cap, the water pump, the fan clutch, fix the headlight plug, replace the chassis battery, test the alternator output and the voltage regulator output and hope its all good so I don't have to replace them, and then change the fuel filters.  Also gotta order the flap style tow lights for the Jeep hatchback. 

If I have time I still have to POR-15 the Jeep frame, but that might have to wait until Carolina.  Before winter vacation it has to be done, and before winter vacation I have to install the new freshwater tank, fix the broken bed frame hinge, install a new Shurflo water pump and accumulator tank, convert the old Shurflo pump into a transfer pump, have the generator serviced, and replace as many lights in the RV as we can afford with LEDs.  Also want to hard wire the Jeep lights for towing. 

And all this has to be done while still building copious amounts of catapults at a madman's pace. 

Looking forward to vacation, I can tell you!

Off to work!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I called Cherry Tire yesterday morning, and they'll be waiting for me Monday morning to bring in the rims and have the new tires mounted.  I also found an Interstate Battery Store right over in Goshen, NY, only 20 miles away, that have plenty of the exact same golf cart batteries that we have already (GC2-XHD-UTL) in stock, so Monday I'll go retrieve a pair as well to bring my system up to six.  146 bucks each...about what I paid for the other 4 last November.  I'll also bring the chassis battery with me and have them match it up to a new one.  Just have to find one more old dead battery here on site to use as a core.  I have an old Marine deep cycle sitting in the back of my workshop, but if I can't find another one, I'll have to shell out an extra 50 bucks since I'll be short one battery for a core, and the core charge is 50 bucks a battery for these big beasties!

The solar panel mounting brackets are at the post office in Tuxedo, NY, but they don't deliver to the faire on Saturdays, and the mail doesn't arrive until after 4pm on Monday, so it looks like I'll have to mount the panels on Tuesday.  So the plan is to go get the tires done Monday and then play musical tires on the rig...putting the new ones on the front and moving the older Michelins to the rear trailing axle and spare tire compartment.  If I can fit the new holding tank in the Jeep with the tires, I'll pick that up as well, but for now that is just going to get stowed under the bed (If I have time before we have to leave to Carolina I'll strap it down and plumb it in, but that project isn't a priority and can wait until then).  Then I'll go get the new batteries and 2 more battery cables and install them.  Once all that is done, I'll be making a template from a piece of plywood the exact same size as my new solar panels, and I'll mark on the plywood exactly where the mounting feet will go.  Then I'll screw a 1 inch block of wood to the outside mounting marks on the plywood, and a half inch piece on the middle marks, to simulate the panel and its mounts.  This I'll bring up on the roof and lay over the front where the front panel is going to go (after I remove the CB antenna and seal the hole with silicone and then a piece of Eternabond tape), and mark on the fiberglass shell of the cab exactly where the mounting feet will end up getting screwed down, and see exactly how thick the plywood spacers have to be that are going to get fiberglassed down to the fiberglass part of the roof.  Then the plywood simulator will come off the roof, and I'll sand the area where the supports/spacers have to go, make the spacers, and glass them down to the cab.  Once the epoxy sets I'll paint it to match the cab and protect it from the sun, and the mount will be all ready for Tuesday, without having to bring the actual panel up and down off the roof more than once.  I'll just make sure I pick up the fiberglass and epoxy and paint and whatnot while I'm out getting the batteries. 

If I have time, which I should since I plan on getting a very early start (the tire place opens at 7:30), I'll install a waterproof junction box on the roof and run the cable from the box down the roof vent mushroom cap over the bathroom, and run the cable all the way to the front dinette bench where the charge controller is going to be installed...when it finally gets here. 

Then on Tuesday I'll have my buddy Todd help me get the panels safely up on the roof, since they are big and unwieldy things...and I'll attach the feet to the panels.  Once I get them exactly where I want them, I'll put down Eternabond tape under each foot, screw them down to the roof, and then seal around the feet and screws with silicone.  That's about as far as I can go with the project until the wire plug ends and charge controller finally arrive, so the project will get finished the following Monday/Tuesday.  Also on M/T this week I'll be running the wiring for the inverter back to the electrical plumbing compartment, and installing the 30 amp plug and box for it next to the genny plug, and labeling them as Genny and Inverter, so that will be a done deal.  Also gonna try to drill the front bumper on the Jeep and install the tow bar brackets and the brake buddy breakaway switch.

First thing Monday morning I also have to order the new shocks off of eBay so they'll be here for the following M/T.  Gotta get started on the RV mechanicals...time is slipping away!

I got all the trebuchets and ballistas done by 5pm last night, while Patti and my employee Sprout set up the booth.  Then Spout came back and cleaned up the workshop around me while I finished the catapults. 

Some chance of thunderstorms today, but mostly after 6pm, so it should be a good day.  Perfect weather for tomorrow, so we should have another great weekend overall. 

Okay, gotta go soon and bring the trebs and ballistas up to the booth, then get back and do the shower thing. 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Unbelievably, the county closed us down yesterday at 1pm!  Nice weather and plenty of people...we made a few hundred bucks by then...but the weather folks issued a tornado watch because of the storm rolling in, and the county made the faire close early.  Seriously?  We didn't even get any rain until after 7pm, and it wasn't even hard rain.  What a joke!  That stupid call cost us a LOT of money!

Today at least is supposed to be perfect weather...72 degrees and low humidity...so it was probably going to be our busiest day anyways and we'll make good money.  Just really hate losing a day for no good reason, especially with all our projects and immediate expenses. 

On the bright side, today marks the 10th year of my awesome marriage to Patti!  She's the best thing that ever happened to me and I'm a very lucky man!  I'll be taking her out to dinner to celebrate tomorrow night though, since we have to work all day today, and its going to be a very busy day!

Okay, off to surf the net...went to bed early last night and was up by 5am, so I have time to relax this morning before getting ready for work.

Kev

jkilbert

Congrats on the 10 year anniversary... I wish you 2 many more happy years!!!!!!!

John
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

ClydesdaleKevin

HandyDan

Patti is really a keeper! Congrats on 10 years. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Dan!  Gonna take her out to a nice restaurant tomorrow night...she deserves it!

Kev

Froggy1936

Happy anniversary  !!!!
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

tiinytina

Congrats on the Anniversary!! ... The Maryland Ren Fest closed a bit early but only right as the pitch black clouds were already over head. I had left an hour or so earlier but heard it was complete mayhem.. at the PG Co Fair the evacuation order caused 12 to be hospitalized in the crush right before the storm hit... One water spout was sighted not to far from the festival grounds.  18,000 had no power.  Passed some major tree damage later in the evening when I had to go out to pick up my folks from BWI airport. Trees in our backyard did the hula dance.. but fortunately no damage.

Was a beautiful day at the Maryland Renaissance Festival today as well... ok hot if you were in the sun working but... luckily we can pick where in an area we set up out wandering minstrel cart...  although today we did have fabulous mud fest from the downpours last night....
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

moonlitcoyote

Happy Anniversary and best wishes for many more!!