New York, 2012

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, July 14, 2012, 07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks for all the anniversary wishes! 

We ended up having a great and profitable day at the faire yesterday, although losing a day is going to make us really tight on funds for the ongoing projects.

As soon as 7:30am rolls around, I have to give Cherry Tire a call and make sure the tires are there and waiting for me, then load the old wheels in the Jeep and make the drive.  I'll bring some straps with me as well so I can pick up the extra freshwater holding tank.  Once the new tires are mounted and balanced I've got to bring them home, take one front tire off at a time and put on the new tires, then put one older front tire on the trailing axle, and one in the spare compartment, and I can call that project done.  I'm going to have the tire guy read the date code for me on the blown tire, and if they are considerably older than I thought...I'm going on the word of the guy I bought it from that they are only 3 years old...and if the Samson tires work out alright after a year of use...I'll replace the other six tires next year with Samsons.

Then its off to the Interstate Battery store for 2 more golf cart batteries and 2 more cables for tying them into the bank, and then back to the house to put them in.  Then the battery bank project will be done.

Then its BACK out on the road to pick up materials for the week's catapult run, and while I'm out I'll pick up the solar panel brackets from the office, and also get the fiberglass materials and paint needed for the front solar panel mounts.  I've decided to make my mock-up frame out of pine 1x2s and actually screw the solar panel Z brackets to it for a very light but very accurate template.  Should work out better that way. 

Then I have to hop on eBay and order the shocks for the RV so they'll be here for next Monday and Tuesday's install...and air up the front airbags to the proper air pressure.  Turns out I've been running them way too low.  On the 77 Itasca the book recommended 30-50 psi, so I assumed that was what the Holiday Rambler would require as well.  But then I read the P30 chassis manual under member resources, and the later model P30s require a recommended 70psi in the front air bags. 

Then, time dependent, I'll start running all the wiring for the panels, and get the inverter hard wired in. 

This evening I'll be taking Patti out for a nice anniversary dinner.

At least the weather all week, including next weekend, is predicted to be very nice!

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

After 3 trips to Cherry Tire, the tires are all installed...lol!  The first trip was the scheduled trip.  I brought both tires with me.  They installed them and we got to talking...and totally forgot to balance them!  Fortunately I left Cherry Tire and only drove as far as the RV store to see how low I could get them to go on the used freshwater holding tank.  40 bucks...sweet!  That's when it dawned on me that the tires were never balanced.  No biggie, since it was right down the road.  Then all the way home, and I install one tire on the driver's side, then mounted the old driver's tire on the trailing axle so we were no longer up on jacks.  Then it was time to mount the passenger side front tire...Uh oh!  The tires are directional with a little arrow on the sidewall...and they were both mounted the same direction!  So back to Cherry Tire with the remaining wheel, and they quickly flipped the tire on the rim, rebalanced it, and were very nice and apologetic about it.  Not TOO far out of my way, since Maybrook isn't all that far from Goshen, where the battery store is.

So I drive to Goshen and buy 2 more Interstate deep cycle golf cart batteries and get a call from my employee Todd...could I please stop and get materials on the way back from this trip so he could cut out the parts today instead of tomorrow, as he had plans?  Sure...so I swing by Home Depot and get most of the materials needed, then drop into Walmart for an assortment of battery cables.  I would have bought the cables at the battery store, but they wanted 40 bucks for two 1 foot 4 gauge cables....I had just given them 148 bucks a battery...anyways, way cheaper at Walmart for the same gauge cables.

A quick stop by the office driving back to camp and I had the remaining Z brackets for installing the panels, then dropped the materials off to Todd, then got back to camp and installed the last front tire, and put the old one in the spare tire holder.  Project done...SWEET!

Very nice tires by the way...no funny smell Dan...They have a nice deep tread pattern, even though its directional.  Turns out the DOT code on my old Michelins dates the tires to 2006, so they are almost 7 years old now...which means next year I'll get 6 more Samson tires installed since I don't want to run tires much older than 7 years old, even if they aren't dryrotted or anything.  That of course will depend on how the Samsons hold up after a year, but I think they'll be just fine.  I'm only going to get 6 new tires though, since they are directional...I'll keep the best of the remaining Michelins as a spare since they aren't directional tires.  If I had the time and the money before having to leave to Carolina I'd get them this year, but the projects are tapping me out...gotta have travel money and emergency funds and all that.

I offloaded the new golf cart batteries from the Jeep, but by the time the tires were done it was too late to install them.  I did at least make a diagram of the wiring to ensure I get them wired into 3 banks, 2 batteries each wired in series to bring them to 12 volts, then the 3 banks wired into the system in parellel.  Its going to be a lot of amp hours!

Then I hopped on eBay and ordered all the new shocks and the steering stabilizer, as well as some catapult parts which I had to have sent 2nd day air.  The shocks and stabilizer will be here by Friday, so they'll be on deck for next Monday and Tuesday. 

Then off to the store to get cigs and whatnot, and by the time I could sit back and enjoy a few Bourbons, it was after 7pm.

While I was out yesterday, GoGreenSolar.com called Patti and apologized profusely for the delay in shipping the charge controller and monitor panel, and offered to ship them overnight on their dime, which we gladly accepted.  Of course, the plug ends won't be here until the 14th, but I can get the rest of the system wired in.

So this morning, the first thing to do is make the mock-up frame and get the fiberglass supports over the cab done so they can cure, then paint them so they don't get damaged and will look nice.  While the paint is drying, I'll wire in the new batteries, then run the inverter cable back to the electrical compartment and wire it into the inverter plug.  By then, the paint should be dry, so we have to get the panels up on the roof and mount them.  I'll then run all the wiring from the panels...minus the actual cable connectors...to a junction box, down the mushroom cap vent, and then to the compartment where the charge controller will go.  If the charge controller actually does arrive today I'll wire that in as well, with its remote panel.  If I can get all that done with the wiring run all neat and clean, then simply adding the plug ends is something I might even find time to do before the weekend, completing the system except for the wind fairings, which I'll get done before we leave.  If all goes as it usually goes, this will take me the rest of the day.

Then 3 days of furious catapult building...supposed to be perfect weather this coming weekend!  The plan is to make the normal sized large run of catapults this week, which will get us way ahead on the more expensive smaller catapults, then next week skip the mousetrap and torsion catapults, and do a double run of the Bandit and Twister catapults, and trebuchets and ballistas, for final weekend, and to ensure we have plenty of stock for opening hell week in Carolina.  As always, its opening weekend in Carolina, then 2 student days, then another weekend, with no time really for production, so if we keep to this production schedule I'll have plenty of stock already made for final weekend here, and opening hell week in NC.  This will also give me a few good days of no catapult building right after the show so I can tie up any loose ends on projects, and finish getting the RV in mechanical tip top shape before making the trip.

Patti and I both are really looking forward to our winter boondocking vacation...lol!

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

The panels are mounted!  I posted the process in detail on my Solar Panel Mounting Question post on the General Board, but here is the simplified version in brief.

I made a frame out of 1x2 pine the exact same size as the panels, marked where the Z brackets go on the panels onto the pine frame, screwed the Z brackets to the frame, and had a template to work with.

Up on the roof with the frame, and I was able to mark exactly where the front panel Z brackets would go over the fiberglass cab of the RV.  Then I sanded away the gel coat and roof coating with 80 grit sandpaper, and using fiberglass resin and fiberglass, I adhered the plywood blocks to the fiberglass cab and let it set for 2 hours.  Then I painted it with Rustoleum white spray paint that said it was good for all surfaces, and the panels were ready to get up on the roof and start the mounting process.

While the paint was drying, it was time to wire in the 2 new batteries to the battery bank, for a total of 6 deep cycle golf cart batteries.  First I unplugged the inverter from the wall, and removed the 4 batteries from the compartment to clean them and check and top off the water.  Diet Coke works great to clean batteries, by the way...lol!  Even the new batteries needed a little distilled water, and I fortunately had just enough distilled water left to service them all.  In the batteries went, and it was a tight fit I tell ya!  I had to make a couple of cables and shorten a couple to make it all nice and neat, but it went fairly quickly.  Then I used the same ratcheting strap and D ring setup I used with the 4 batteries, repositioned, to keep the batteries where I put them while traveling.  Before connecting the bank to the system, I checked the voltage to make sure I had them all wired correctly...12.6 volts...SWEET!  All wired in, so I plugged the converter back in and checked the voltage...13.7 for most of the night, then it finally dropped back down to its normal 13.2.  Guess the new batteries weren't fully charged.  They are now!  LOTS of amp hours now!

Paint was still tacky, so I drove to Home Depot to get the rest of the stuff needed for the install, like a 100 foot 10 gauge extension cord...was much cheaper than getting 10 gauge cable by the foot...cable connectors, a junction box, cable hold downs, the works.

Back home, and it was time to mount the panels.

To get these huge panels up on the roof safely without damaging them, we had a brilliant idea since our awning is out.  We wrapped each panel, one at time, in a fuzzy fleece blanket, tied a rope through the upper mounting holes, and layed the panel, panel side down, on the awning.  Then I went up the roof ladder and gently pulled the panel up the awning with the rope.  The blanket protected both the panel and the awning from damage.  It worked like a charm!

Once up on the roof, I attached the Z brackets to the panels.  Before I could mount the front panel I had to remove the CB antenna.  A piece of Eternabond tape under each of the 8 Z bracket feet, and then I screwed down each foot with a number 12 stainless steel screw.  Solid as a rock!  I also screwed a ground connector to each panel before mounting, and made sure the panel wires were coming out where I wanted them to.  Then I used copious amounts of white silicone on the screw heads and around the Z bracket.

The mounts are solid as a rock and the panels aren't going to go anywhere!  I only have the 1 inch of airflow under them, but I'm sure that will be more than adequate...and the 1 inch brackets make them nice and low slung to the roof, out of harms way, and very very solid.

Before we leave to North Carolina, I have to make a wind fairing for the front panel, and possibly parts of the back panels, although I think a wind fairing on the front panel would negate the need for ones for the rear panels, especially since the rear panels are already almost entirely blocked by the air conditioner and MaxxAir vent covers.

The panels take up a lot of roof area, so its a good thing I have good balance...I only have a 1 foot wide path around the rear panel, right at the roof edge, to do roof maintenance now.

I ran out of daylight to wire them in, so that is next Monday and Tuesday's project, along with many others.

That is all I had time for...gonna have a lot to do next M/T!  Gotta finish wiring in the solar panels and the charge controller and monitor panel, wire in the inverter, and then install the new shocks on the RV and steering stabilizer, grease all the fittings, check the rear diff fluid, check the tire air pressures and air up the front airbags to 70 psi.  Then I have to find the coolant leak, change out the radiator hoses and water pump and fan clutch.  Then install a new chassis battery, start the rig, and see what kind of voltage I'm putting out...hopefully the charging system is fine.  Also have to replace one highbeam plug which is cracked and shorted.  I also have to fix the bed hinge and for now just place the new freshwater tank under there.  And then drill the front Jeep bumper for the tow bar brackets and mount them.

The rest of this week is catapult building, but I might have time here and there to finish the solar...maybe, maybe not. 

Two more weekends left here in New York!  Lots to do before we can leave for North Carolina.  I'm hoping I can get everything on the list done on M/T, which would leave me just the packdown process when the faire closes.  Gonna be an easy packdown at least...we have a full set of tools waiting for us in NC, so most of the workshop will stay here in NY for next year.  That means we'll be travelling a LOT lighter from now on, especially since we dropped another 1000 lbs in tow vehicle weight.  The only thing we have to carry with us now is our tent and stock, plus porch furniture and whatnot.

Okay...off to Home Depot for some last minute materials needed for the catapult run.  Gonna be perfect weather this coming weekend, so that means we are going to be very busy!

Kev

gadgetman

NICE ! You are going to love that system.

One note on silicone. It will seal well but doesn't work with ANYTHING else and wont hardly stick to itself if you ever have to reseal a spot. It is best to use a butal sealer or urethane. The nice thing about butal is it never really dries hard and is always flexable. Urethane does dry but is like rubber. Also never use silicone by metal because it is acidic and tends to rust steel.

You mention a 13.2 normal float voltage, true for most good converters. When you hook up your solar controller you will see it floats at 13.7 so don't be alarmed. Remember it only works 12 hrs a day :)

DonD

FWIW:
"For all motorhome models,inflation pressure must be maintained between 10 psi and 50 psi on the 4300 lbs front suspension and 40 to 50 psi on the 5000 lb front suspension"
From the 1986 forward control owner's manual.
My front is 4300lbs. on my 1987 but made in 1986 chassis.
Let us know how the higher pressure works for you Kev.

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

ClydesdaleKevin

Hey Don...this is from the P30 chassis service manual available under member resources:

AIR BAG CYLINDER INSPECTION
The air bag cylinders should be inspected periodically for
signs of deterioration or damage. Air bag leaks can easily
be checked on the vehicle . Inflate with a small amount of
air conditioning freon No . 12 then locate the leak using
an air conditioning leak detector. To check for possible
leaks with the air bag removed from the vehicle, submerge
the air bag in water and check for bubbles. (Replace with
GM Part No. 367762.) Inflation pressures should be maintained
at 10 PSI minimum to avoid chafing . Under load,
40-50 PSI is recommended for a 4,300-Ib . suspension, 50
PSI for a 5,000-lb . suspension. 70 PSI is required on the
5,300-Ib suspension . 80-90 PSI is recommended for the
F44 5,500-Ib . optional 16,000-Ib . suspension. This unit
uses an Airlift HD bag Part No. 15631881 . Vendor #40-571

I'm not sure how to tell which suspension we have, although I'm assuming that with a 35 foot motorhome its more than likely the 5300 lb version, thus the reason I'm thinking of going up to 70psi.

Even the Firestone airbag installation guide suggests 40-70 lbs:

GM P30 10,000lb-15,000lb GVWR 40-70 psi
GM P30 16,000lb GVWR and up 60-90 psi

Kev 

ClydesdaleKevin

Got a huge dent in the catapults made today.  We might even finish everything up by this evening!  Which means I can finish the solar project tomorrow and have all of Monday and Tuesday to work on mechanicals...SWEET!  Found a 63 inch long aluminum air foil for the front of the solar panel from Vantech for 30 bucks on eBay, and it might even be delivered today, so I can install that tomorrow as well if we get all the catapults done.

Gotta take the pups out and get to work!  Lots to do if I want to get the solar project finished.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

All the catapults are done!  Still have to stain the last batch and build one more ballista (gotta teach Todd how to make them) but that's it.  So that means I can more that likely finish, or almost finish, the solar panel install today.  That will depend on if I can find a local source for heavy duty inline fuse holders and manual reset 80 amp breakers, or if I end up having to order them on eBay.  If the later turns out to be the case, I'll get all the rest of the wiring and cabinet modifications done, and set the switches in the controller and get that mounted as well as the remote monitor panel. 

While I'm running the wires and whatnot, Patti is going to set up the booth with my employee Sprout, who is going to come in and clean the shop and whatnot for next week.

4 of the 6 shocks already came in for the RV, and the other 2 and the steering stabilizer are due to arrive today, which means everything will be on deck to complete that project on Monday.  The wind fairing is also supposed to arrive today, so if I have time I'll get that installed to protect the front panel today.  Everything is coming together, but it took a lot of work and organization I tell ya.

Tomorrow and Sunday the weather is supposed to be perfect, so we are going to have a very busy and profitable weekend.  Then on M/T is the shocks, then troubleshoot the cooling system leak, replace the radiator hoses, the water pump, and the fan clutch.  And then repair the headlamp plug, and remove the chassis battery and bring it down to a shop and exchange it for a brand new Interstate battery, reinstall it, fire up the RV, and check the voltage output at the alternator, and at external voltage regulator, to make sure they are both good.  If I can get ALL that done on M/T, then all I'll have to do after last weekend of faire next weekend is pack down and load up...SWEET! 

Okay, gonna try to find a car audio store or even a solar supplier nearby.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Holy Moly it was busy yesterday at the faire!  It was packed and we did very well!  I'm glad I stuck with the heavy production schedule and still have a bunch of catapults still sitting on the stain rack in the workshop!  I'll have to bring those up to the booth this morning before we open.

We started out with 50 bags of marshmallows...and still almost ran out around 4:30pm!  Patti's son Joe drove to the store and returned with more marshmallows just in time so we weren't completely out...whew!  Shooting the marshmallows at passing patrons is one of the keys to why we do so well with these tiny catapults, at least when we have crowds.

The weather is supposed to be perfect again today so we are anticipating being just as busy with just as big a crowd.  Mother nature is being very kind this year!

Yesterday I got the solar panel cables run through the mushroom cap vent on the roof...a very tight fit...and soldered the mc4 connectors to them and connected them to the cables.  I ran them to the fuse block I got at West Marine...they have everything needed for 12 volt systems, including the 80 amp breakers...made by Blue Sea.  At 4:30 pm, overcast and in the shade, the panels were still putting out 32 volts...SWEET!  That's all I had time for yesterday though...I'll have to finish the final details of the install and wiring this M/T.

While taking the pups out around 3:30 yesterday, out of curiosity I checked the solar panel voltage again...all three panels putting out around 32 volts, and this is in the shade with trees overhead.

Okay...gotta get the day started...after my coffee...

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Another super busy and stellar day at the faire yesterday...good thing we've been keeping up a high production of catapults! 

This morning I have to drive Patti to the Verizon store so she can get them to credit our bill...the sales person there messed up the plan when adding my phone, so instead of the promised 20 buck a month increase, the bill was a 100 bucks higher this month!  Verizon changed the plan over the phone, but said we had to go to the store to get them to credit the bill to the normal amount.  So we'll do that early.  Fortunately, the Verizon store is right near the Home Depot, where I have to go anyways to get some more hardware to install the wind fairing in front of the front solar panel, and also near the Walmart, where I have to go to get more battery cable and cable ends to finish the wiring for the solar system, and near Best Buy and Radio Shack, where I hope to find a 12 volt muffin fan so I won't have to order one and wait even longer to test the charge controller!

Then its back to camp, and the first thing I have to do is install the wind fairing, then finish all the wiring on the solar project and test the system.  Then I have to run the wire from the inverter to the power/water compartment in the back and install the RV plug and box and label them, and while at it, wrap the drain pipe from the washer/dryer in foam and gorilla tape, since I'll have the rear trailing axle wheel off anyway.  Then its shock time.  Gotta install all 6 shocks today, which also means I need to get a grade 8 washer for the front driver's side shock mount, since its missing and the shock is hanging loose, so I'll pick that up at Home Depot while I'm there.  While I'm all dirty and nasty from crawling under the rig anyway, I'll go ahead and grease all the fittings and check the rear diff fluid, and call that project done.  The steering stabilizer is supposed to arrive today, so I'll install that this afternoon and call everything under the RV done.

If I have time, I'll start the engine and look for the coolant leak.  Then I have to drain the radiator fluid and dispose of the coolant somewhere safe from animals, and pull all the radiator hoses and bring them to an auto parts store to match them up/order them.  Also have to pull the fan clutch and water pump and bring them to match them up, and test the voltage at the alternator and external regulator, and replace the plug end at the high beam headlamp. 

Its supposed to be a beautiful day today, but tomorrow is supposed to rain all day, so I have to try to get all the outside engine and chassis stuff done today, then tomorrow I can do the inside engine stuff without having to do too much outside in the rain.

Also have to get all the materials for this week's catapult run this evening.

Is it vacation yet?

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Rain rain go away...I have too much to do today!

After a trip to the Verizon store yesterday morning, we stopped at Radio Shack and they had a 12 volt muffin fan, so I bought that, then we went to Walmart and picked up more 4 gauge battery cables and ends and a 25 dollar 1/2 drive impact wrench and sockets, then Home Depot for a few more items, then back to camp.

The first thing I did was get the air foil mounted in front of the front solar panel, and its looks great and will work perfectly, and is very solidly mounted.  Pics of the whole project to follow soon!

Since I knew it was supposed to rain all day today, I decided to save the final wiring of the solar controller for today, since its an inside job.

Next I had to oil the new impact driver for use on the lug nuts and shock bolts.

The next thing to do was run the wire for the inverter, which since it was left over from the 10 gauge extension cord I used for running the solar panel wires from the roof already has a plug end to plug into the inverter.  I ran it down through the floor of the power compartment (forward dinette bench seat), then zip tied it every foot along the way to the drain pipe I installed for the washer/dryer, feeding it all the way back to the rear power/water/sewer compartmend, and wired it into a 30 amp RV plug and box, right next to the genny plug and box, and labeled one Generator, and one Inverter.  Then I had to remove the duellies from the drive axle to access the pipe and cable that were vulnerable to damage from kicked up rocks and road debris.  First I siliconed the heck out of where they came in and out, then covered them in foam pipe insulation...then covered the whole shebang with multiple layers of Gorilla tape...DONE!

Having the impact wrench and sockets made putting the wheels on and off a lot easier I tell ya, although the cheap little Cambell Hausfeld doesn't provide enough torque to fully tighten the lug nuts so that was done with my trusty X shaped tire iron and some grunting.

Since there is so much room under the RV, you don't really have to remove the wheels to do the shocks.  Safer that way anyway than sitting under a 16K lb RV on jackstands in the dirt!  So I lifted the RV with my 20 ton bottle jack on the frame to relieve the weight on the suspension without lifting the wheels, and replaced the first rear shock on the driver's side, the one on the tag axle.  Had to use the impact wrench to take off the lower nut, which broke it off, but that was fine since it was being replaced.  The top nut was a bear to get too...not much clearance for even a little open end box wrench!  But I got it off and out, put in the new shock with new bushings, washers, and nuts, and it was done.  Then it was time to do the drive axle shock.  I had to reposition the jack to relieve the weight on the center axle, and the impact wrench removed both big nuts easily.  The shocks for the drive axle and front of the RV are eyelet style instead of post style like the tag axle.  Uh oh, hit a snag!  Even though I carefully researched what shock to use, the bushing inside the new shock was substantionally bigger than the original Delco shock I removed.  Solution!  I used my grinder to cut the old shock rubber mount from the shock, then cut the rubber and removed the original right sized bushing...slightly too tight to fit in the new shock bushing as spacer, so I used the grinder to cut the side open so it was now like a roll pin, and hammered it in place...they fit perfectly!  Then I installed the new shock, and the rear driver's side was done.

Onward to the front driver's side shock, the one with the broken washer and hanging shock.  Another snag!  Turns out the previous owner, when he installed the crappy little undersized coil spring shocks, also changed out the upper bolt in shock mount bolt which sticks out of the frame, to an undersized one on both sides so he could use the crappy shocks!  Which means the shocks won't fit and the bushing is way undersized...I tried the same trick I did on the back, but the bushing was way undersized.  I removed the shock, and the upper shock mount to bring to the store with me today, and by now it was almost 8pm and very dark.  I cleaned up and stowed everything and called it a night.

So this morning I'm running out for materials, bringing the shock mount bolt and shock with me to either get the right one at an auto parts store, or else just the right sized grade 8 bolts and washers and bushing to make my own, and then returning to camp to finish the shock project.  Yep, its raining, but its got to get done!  At least I'll be under the RV so it won't be too bad.  The really heavy rains are supposed to be this afternoon, so I'll try to get the shocks finished ASAP then shower up and complete the solar controller install wiring, fan and all.

That realistically is probably all I'll be able to finish today...then 3 busy days of building catapults.  I'll have to finish up all the rest of the projects on Monday-Thursday next week, since we'll be leaving to Carolina bright and early Friday morning.

Off to work!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

A whole lot of nothing got done yesterday... $@!#@!

I brought the shock and the mounting bolts with me and went to Home Despot early to pick up materials and checked out their inventory of grade 8 bolts...1/2 inch was the largest size, but at least that will do for the lower shock mount.  I need 5/8 for the top!  3/8 steel pipe will work perfectly for the bushing on the lower once I cut them to size with the grinder and ream them out. 

So no dice there, and a quick stop at Radio Shark showed that they have very little electronic supplies in stock anymore so my ideas of using a rheostat or potentiometer were shot down...they had nothing that could handle the input voltage.

A drive all the way back to the workshop to drop off the first load of wood before the rains got even worse...by now it was raining pretty hard...and then back on the road.  2 auto parts stores, even a good old fashioned one, and no one had any shock mounts large enough...3 more hardware stores, and I finally found grade 8 bolts in 5/8s at a Sears Hardware store, with washers and lock washers and nuts, and even steel spacer bushing that will fit perfectly as a shock bushing once I open them up a bit...they aren't welded along the side but are open like a roll pin so spreading them won't be hard, and they'll fit perfectly in the shock eyelet once opened and installed on the 5/8 bolt.

While at the auto parts stores I asked about VW generator voltage regulators...no one had anything in stock and the price was around 50 bucks, so I decided to just order a 48 volt fan for the solar system and did that this morning.  Also looked into trying to get the fan clutch and water pump on order, but neither store could tell me if they were the heavy duty models, so I guess I'll have to drive all the way to Napa 40 miles away to get them, but I'll call them first with the part numbers so they can have them waiting for me when I have time to go get them...I'll call them today once I get the part numbers.  Same with the radiator hoses.

Then I had to drive all the way to Lowes to get more materials for the catapult run...the square stock at Home Despot is of horrible quality, some kind of Malaysian wood that looks like poplar but isn't...had too many catapult failures using that crap, so had to go to Lowes, which is another 30 mile trip.  Stopped at a Tractor Supply to check out hardware and tractor voltage regulators, but no dice there either. 

Patti called me while out to pick up dinner, so a quick stop in Shop Rite on the way back, and I was finally able to start the final drive back to camp.  Raining cats and dogs by now, so the drive and traffic back to camp was slow.  It was after 4pm by the time I got to the office to pick up the mail ( $@!#@! ), but at least everything I ordered had arrived, the steering stabilizer, the flappy lights for towing the Jeep, the LED T8 lights, and the bundles of birch dowels I ordered for the catapults.

By the time I dropped everything off at the workshop and returned to camp it was around 5pm, and raining even harder.  Too dark and too wet to work on the shocks!  So I decided to test the fan on the solar panels.  So dark the panels were only putting out 15 volts or so, so I tried the fan directly on them, and nada, just a hum.  Wired in a little voltage regulator from Radio Shark, and even though the output voltage was 12 volts, the little regulator doesn't put out enough watts to run the fan, so that idea was thrown out...tested the fan at the battery voltage and it works fine.  Then I made brackets for it.  I decided this morning to order a 48 volt fan with a voltage range of 12-48 volts, but its the same size and the brackets will work, the wiring will be simpler, it draws less amps than the 12 volt fan, and I'll still have the 12 volt fan on hand if the new fan doesn't arrive before I finish the wiring.

Then I made a longer ground cable for the solar array wiring...the temporary one was too short but I was able to keep the panels grounded by not screwing down the fuse block...attached it to the wires and ground strap, then screwed down the fuse block in its permanent location, reinstalled the 15 amp fuses, and reinstalled the cover.  I was going to do more of the wiring, but couldn't find the washers I bought in the dark outside in the pouring rain, so that will have to wait.  Finally I set the mini din switches inside the controller to match my system, and called it a night around 7pm.

Gonna do some research this morning to get the right part numbers for the RV mechanicals, call Napa and have them ready for me, then get back to work in the workshop building catapults all day, and for the next 3 days.  If I have time and can find the washers I'll do some more wiring tonight, and if the weather is nice in the morning tomorrow I might be able to squeeze in installing the front shocks early before getting to the workshop at 10am.

Time is closing in to finish all the projects!  Still have to box in the wire run under the dinette and in the bathroom, fix the bed hinge, and get all the RV mechanicals done, in addition to finishing the solar project.  Whew!  Is it vacation yet?

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

It took until around 8pm last night to finish the prescribed number of catapults for the day, since my worker Sprout was a no-call/no-show.  No one has any idea where he is, rotten kid!  Managed to find another worker to do the sanding, who'll be working the rest of the week, and Todd's girlfriend came in and helped for an hour or two as well.  Last night was what they call at Renfaire The Funky Formal, an end of the show party that is the social event for the young Rennies, sort of like a prom.  We didn't go since we were exhausted and can't stand the music kids play these days...lol...but Todd and his girl went, so who knows when he'll show up for work this morning.  Its all good though...he'll work as late as needed to finish today's huge run of catapults while I work on trebuchets and ballistas.

We have a bit of a reprieve from Carolina this year...while there are indeed 3 kids days in a row, they won't be the FIRST week of the faire, but rather the second.  So we'll have the stock set aside for them already, and I can just build a small and normal size run after opening weekend, and not have to build a thing beforehand.

I called the local Napa auto parts store...found a close one in Warwick, NY...and ordered the radiator hoses, radiator cap, heavy duty fan clutch, and heavy duty water pump.  Everything but the water pump will be there today, but they said the water pump SHOULD be in by Friday since it has to be shipped in from Georgia.  Total cost for everything was 200 bucks, so not too bad.  I'll try to find time this morning to run out and get the parts to make sure they are the correct ones, since I have to drive to Lowes anyway to get more poplar for the trebuchets and ballistas...someone absconded with some of the wood in my woodpile, so I have to go get more.

It was so late last night the only thing I wanted to do was relax for a bit on the porch, but had to run up the mountain in the Jeep and pick up dinner...so while I was out I stopped at Cumberland Farms and bought a fire log and a bundle of firewood, returned to camp, set up the Coleman fire ring, and started a little campfire...it was cold last night!  Patti and I sat at the campfire for a while...the first time since last year's vacation!...and spent some quality time together before calling it a night.

I'm going to try to get all the trebuchets and ballistas done today, but not sure if I can...if I can, then I'll have tomorrow to work on the shocks and the solar wiring...I'll put in a late night either way, so if nothing else I might have a short day tomorrow...we'll see!  All depends on my workers, when they show up, and how hung-over they are from the party...lol!

Off to Lowes and Napa, then back to work on the catapults!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Went to Home Depot instead since it was a lot closer, and skipped Napa for now...had to get back in time to build the catapults!  We ended up working until 8pm, but got all the little ones finished, and all the trebuchet and ballista parts prepped out...just have to sand them this morning and assemble them, so I might have a fairly early day.  I'm hoping the water pump will also be in...the rest of the parts arrived there yesterday...since they had to special order it from Georgia. 

If I can finish early enough, I'll take the trip to Napa...they close at 5:30, so I'll have my parts on hand for after the weekend.  Going to be another insanely busy weekend!  Perfect weather forcasted again...SWEET!  Already starting to pack away winter money!

My goal is to finish all the projects by Thursday, including packdown, and hit the road to Huntersville, NC bright and early Friday morning.  Lets hope there aren't any further complications!

Okay, off to work early so I can get everything done in time to go to Napa!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We got all the catapults done by 7pm...Todd came in on his day off to help...and now I have to bring them up to the booth so I have to keep this short...lol!

Even had time to go pick up my parts at Napa around 4:30pm, although the water pump won't be in until Monday...so I'll do the shocks on Monday and finish wiring in the solar, and do the engine stuff on Tuesday.

Okay...supposed to be perfect weather the next 2 days, so I gots to go!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Wow!  An amazing and busy day yesterday...SWEET!  And the weather today is supposed to be perfect!  Even with all the stock we built this week there is no way we'd have enough left over after today to open Carolina, do three kids days in a row, and then a second weekend...I'm really hoping we have enough left to simply have enough stock for just opening weekend in Carolina...lol!  The very very good news is that student days in Carolina...which we just got the email about...isn't until AFTER second weekend this year, so I'll have a week to build stock for it.  What a relief!  Sure don't have time to build another run of stock before we leave AND get all the projects done!  I guess there could be worse problems to have...lmao!  We sold 6 out of 10 ballistas in one day yesterday, so I'm not sure if we'll even have any ballistas left for opening weekend in Carolina...ah well...they'll have to wait until the following weekend then!

We have plenty of catapults left for an even busier day today, which we expect it to be.  The weather forecast for yesterday made the afternoon weather a little iffy, even though it didn't rain until after 8pm...the forecast for today has been perfect all week, so we expect to get overrun with the last minute last day shoppers!  Good thing we built as much as we did!  We're already packing the winter vacation money away, even with all the project expenses...AWESOME!

So first thing tomorrow morning, and I mean early, I have to dump our tote tank one last time and bring it to our friend Julie...she needs one and we don't anymore, so we gave it to her (just haven't had time to dump it yet and she's leaving in the morning)...and the little 65 watt Kyocera solar panel and Sunforce charge controller to our friend Arlene, to whom we also gifted the old solar setup.  Then come heck or highwater, I'm going to completely finish the solar project...the 48 volt muffin fan already arrived so I can completely get the system installed...and get all the rest of the shocks installed before the end of the day, including the steering stabilizer...and grease all the fittings and top off the rear diff fluid.  At some point in the late afternoon tomorrow I'll have to drive the 10 miles to the Napa to pick up the new heavy duty water pump which finally came in so I'll have it on hand for Tuesday.  And before I do that I'll have to pull the doghouse cover and compare the hoses they gave me with the old ones to make sure I don't have to return and exchange them.

Tuesday I have to start the RV and look for the coolant leak to confirm where its coming from, although I'm pretty sure its coming from the upper radiator hose.  Then drain the radiator into buckets I can dispose of at a recycling center...don't want any animals getting into it...and replace the hoses.  Then the fun job of replacing the fan clutch and water pump...not a lot of room to work in there, and most of the job has to be done from the top of the engine unless I can get the plastic lower radiator shroud out from underneath.  The radiator on this thing isn't mounted like a Dodge, where you can simply remove the upper bolts and loosen the lower bolts and tilt it out...its front bolted to a steel frame and no way to pivot it.  So its going to be a lot of cursing and stretching and reaching to get the job done.  I'll lay a tarp down under it so I can find any nuts and bolts I might drop doing the projects.  Then when its all done, I'll refill the system with the several gallons of radiator fluid 50/50 mix required and install the new radiator cap.  I'm guessing this project will consume the whole day, but I could get lucky enough to have time to bring the chassis battery up to the Interstate battery store and exchange it for a fresh one.  Also gonna try to replace the headlamp plug on Tuesday, complete with dielectric grease. 

That will leave me Wednesday to finish up all the other little projects, like covering the wiring run under the dinette and in the bathroom, fixing the bed hinge so we can access the storage space, laying a bead of silicone on the lip of one compartment which leaks in the rain and another on the dryer vent...didn't have time yet...and fixing the leak once and for all in the black tank drain pipe with ABS shavings and ABS cement...I've had it closed off for a couple of weeks so its finally dry enough to work on...then start cleaning up from all the projects and making SEVERAL dumpster runs, including the copious bags of sawdust and woodshavings from our workshop.  Also have to drill the holes in the Jeep bumper and install the tow bar brackets, wire in the break away switch for the brake buddy, make sure the wires for the flappy tow lights are long enough and splice new wires in if not, and make sure the Jeep is ready to tow.  Going to try to get the LED T8 bulbs installed in the fixture over the sink as well.

The goal on Thursday is to pack down the shop tent and stock into the RV and Jeep, get all the porch furniture and whatnot loaded into the compartments, load the compartments to even the load a lot better, test the lights, check the air pressures and fluids, unhook from the power and water and stow everything, and by the end of the day be out in the patron parking lot with the Jeep all hooked up and ready to hit the road Friday morning.  I'm hoping I can get all this done by early afternoon, since we'll be in full sun and I can really test out the solar system then!

Then Friday we'll be on the road to Carolina!  700+ miles, so I'll see pretty quickly if I did all the mechanicals correctly...lol!  Gonna take the trip in 2 days, so we'll pull into the parking lot no later than Saturday night, and pull the RV into our campsite Sunday morning and set up camp.  Then off to Walmart for a new workshop tent, set it up, and get all our workshop tools out of our friend's booth and put them in the tent.  Then the rest of the week to relax, and maybe finish whatever I couldn't finish before the trip. 

Gonna be a long week!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

This ended up being our best weekend ever in NY.  By the time the afternoon rolled around we were holding stock back under the tables in the cases and telling folks we were sold out of certain models, so we'd have them for opening day in Carolina!  As it is we sold out of every last ballista we made!  Not gonna have time to make more before opening day, but we have enough of all the rest of the catapults.

So once my coffee kicks in this morning, I have to dump the tote tank for the very last time ever, bring it to our friend Julie's rig, bring the old solar panel setup over to our friend Arlene's rig, then go to the office and pick up the 48 volt fan, get back to our rig, and finish the solar array wiring once and for all.  I'm going to do that first since it bloody cold outside this morning!

By the time I finish the solar wiring, monitor panel and all, it will be more than warm enough to throw on my work clothes and finish the shocks and steering stabilizer, grease all the fittings and top off the rear diff, then go to Napa and pick up my water pump for tomorrow's install.

We'll see how much time I have left in the day when all that is done, and try to get more done as well.  If I finish the shocks up early enough, I'll bring the coach battery with me as well since the Interstate battery store isn't all that far from the Napa.

Tomorrow I'll tackle the water pump, fan clutch, radiator hoses and cap, after starting the engine and verifying where the coolant leak is coming from.

So much to do, but at least the weather this week is supposed to be dry and cool with no rain. 

Time for more coffee, then back to work!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So the entire solar power project is done!  Had to get RJ-11 plug ends for the remote monitor, but Todd picked them up for me while he was out...the remote monitor comes with a 90 foot cable, and the monitor is just over a foot away from the controller, so I thought it ridiculous to use a 90 foot cable.

The 48 volt muffin fan works perfectly right from the solar panels, so it shuts down at night...comes right on during the day, even under the trees in the shade where we are camped right now.

Except for boxing in the wire run in the bathroom and under the dinette, I can call that project completely finished now!  Finished enough until we get to Carolina anyways.

The monitor says the panels produced a maximum voltage of 32.5 yesterday, and that was in the shade...SWEET!  Not a lot of amps, but it was late in the day, nearly dark, before I had the cable ends and hooked up the monitor.

Got the front steering stabilizer installed, which was fairly easy, and then got the front shocks MOSTLY installed...since the previous owner had modified the mounts, I had some hardware issues with the new shocks.  I had to make my own upper shock mounts made with 5/8 grade 8 bolts, nuts, lockwashers, and a bunch of grade 8 flat washers as spacers...way stronger than the original.  The lower shock mounts I had to spread open and bend inwards so the 1/2" grade 8 bolts would go all the way through, and then had to make bushings for the shocks because the opening in the shock was bigger than the bolts...had to get really creative there!  Only had 3" bolts for the lowers though, and Sears Hardware was all out last night...I need 3.5 inch for the lowers so I can use washers and lock nuts...and of course Thread Locker.  Ran out of grade 8 5/8 washers as well, so I'll pick those up today so I can finish the project.  Still have the last 2 in the back to install as well, but since I've already done one side, the learning curve is already there, so that should only take about an hour.  I'm wondering now if I got the wrong front shocks after all since they were so different in mounting than the ones I took off, but the travel seems to be about the same so I'm sure they'll be fine, and they are certainly heavy duty enough!  They are the ones Monroe recommended for my chassis, even though the mounts were different, so I'm going to fly with them and hope for the best...They are Monroe Gas Magnum RV shocks all the way around.  The steering stabilizer was an exact fit, although its HUGE compared to the little Delco I removed.

So after my coffee kicks in...I was so exhausted by the time I called it quits last night that I slept right through the alarm clock and didn't wake until 8am...I have to take out the coach battery and load it in the Jeep, drive to Napa and pick up the water pump, stop by a hardware store for a couple more bolts and washers, stop by the battery place and exchange the battery, then get back to camp and install the battery, finish the shocks, then get to work on the water pump, fan clutch, and radiator hoses. 

I doubt I'll finish the coolant system today, but I also have all day tomorrow to finish up mechanicals.  Then Thursday its packdown the Underhill pavilion and all our stock, pack up some stuff from the workshop (Todd's still using it, so he'll do the final cleanup in there and box the shop in to protect the tools for the year), pack up the porch stuff, and be ready to roll on Friday...which also means I have to install the tow bar brackets sometime today or tomorrow.

At this point in the game, I just have to prioritize everything...getting ready mechanically and electrically being the most important.  Any loose ends and finish work is probably going to have to wait until we get to Carolina, but the lion's share will be done.

So its back to work now!  Lots to do!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The shocks are all installed!  Woohoo!!!  The rig actually looks like she's sitting pretty level now!  While under the coach I checked the rear differential fluid, which was fine and didn't even need to be topped off, and greased all the fittings on the drive shaft and front suspension components.  Glad I'm a lot skinnier than I used to be!  Way easier manuvering under the rig without a big fat gut in the way!

Then I installed the brand new Interstate chassis battery...same size and configuration as the one I removed, but way heavier.  I'm surprised the old battery was still working...the date on the top said is was installed in May, 2002.  Guess that means my charging system must still be pretty good...lol!

I bought a can of battery terminal coating spray while at the battery store, so I sprayed the battery terminals, including the ones in the coach compartment, and while at it sprayed all the wiring connections that were exposed to the weather in the nose of the RV and in the coach compartment.  Then I used a can of Great Stuff spray foam and filled in the gaps where the drain line from the washer dryer comes down into the battery compartment, and the gaps where all the wiring from the charge controller and inverter come down through the floor...don't want any battery gas getting up into the power compartment!

Then I laid a bead of white silicone around the compartment door that was leaking, and a clear bead of silicone around the dryer vent.

Now it was time to find the coolant leak and determine what needed to be done to change out the fan clutch, radiator hoses, and water pump.  I started the rig and let it warm up, and no leaks at first...but as soon as the thermostat opened the upper radiator hose started dripping coolant where it meets the radiator.  Whew...could have been way worse!  Its the same hose that was leaking at the thermostat housing when I replaced the thermostat, so I had cut the end off and reclamped it as a temporary fix...apparently just the little bit of shortening I did on the hose caused too much stress on the other side of the hose where it meets the radiator.  Not a problem since I have the new hose on hand, and since its the upper hose I won't loose too much coolant doing the job.

I shut down the engine and planned out today's workload...and decided that the lower radiator hose and water pump are going to wait until sometime in North Carolina.  There are 2 ways I could replace the water pump, and both ways would be WAY too time intensive to get done in one day, and still get everything else done that I need to do.  The first way would be to remove all the belts, then the air conditioner compressor, upper air pump, alternator, and power steering pump...they all attach to this massive steel bracket system that is attached to the engine and to the front of the water pump bolts, which has to be removed to access the pump from the top.  Would take WAY too long, and I'd be working upside down laying across the engine with my arms hanging down into the compartment.  The second way would be to remove the radiator...which would also take way too long for today, but its the best way, so that is how I'll do it in Carolina.  And since I'll have the water pump off and full access to the front of the engine, I'll change out the timing chain while I'm at it and all the heater hoses and lower radiator hose.

I can get to the fan clutch fairly easily from the doghouse though (well designed and plenty of room to reach in there and undo the bolts and remove and replace it), so I'll do that this morning and the upper radiator hose, top off the radiator fluid and install the new radiator cap, then replace the broken high beam plug and use liquid electrical tape to seal the connections and dielectric grease in the new plug, and check the other three plugs and replace any that are bad if necessary, but I'm pretty sure its only the one. 

Then I'll check the tire pressures and air up the air bags to 70psi, check all the fluids, and call all the mechanicals done that are necessary for our trip to Carolina.

After all that is done, I have to drill holes in the front bumper of the Jeep and install the tow bar brackets, run the wiring for the break away switch, test fit the new flappy tow lights and make sure the wiring harness is long enough and lengthen it if necessary, and figure out a way to prop the little Coleman solar panel in the flat windshield to keep the battery in good condition on the trip, since the Break Buddy has been known to drain the battery in the Cherokee on long trips and the little solar panel seemed to eliminate that.  Then that project will be done and we'll be closer to being able to leave.

I should be done with all that fairly early if I hustle, so I also want to install the new T8 LED bulbs in the ThinLite fixture over the sink and test them out...if they work well and we like the light, we'll replace the bulbs in at least 2 other of the fluorescent fixtures in Carolina. 

Then if I have time, and I should, I need to pull the bed mattress back and see what is needed to fix the hinge, run to a hardware store and get whatever is needed to fix the hinge, fix it, then reattach the hydrolic pistons back the bed frame and call that project done, which will make tomorrow's packdown WAY easier.

Lastly, time permitting but it probably won't, I'll box in the wiring run from the solar project, but that might have to be done in NC, or tomorrow if I have time.

Tomorrow its the great packdown.  The Underhill pavilion has to be taken down and folded up, all the stock put in the new totes, and the totes loaded into the RV compartments, along with the tent and poles.  Then the one tote of workshop stuff that we are taking with us, plus materials and extension cords, has to be taken to camp and put in a compartment, everything on the porch has to get loaded into compartments (lighter stuff on the driver's side, heavier stuff on the passenger side to even the load, since the batteries, genny, and black tank are all on the driver's side, as is the washer/dryer), and anything that doesn't fit in the compartments that is light weight can go in the Jeep, but I'm pretty sure everything is going to fit in the compartments since we are traveling WAY lighter from now on!  Then stow the porch furniture and mats, roll up the awning, stow the folding fire ring, store the dog fence in the workshop (its cheap but takes up a lot of room, so I'll just get another in Carolina), and be ready to hit the road.

Since the packdown won't take all day, I'll be able to work on some other projects to get ready for the trip, like boxing in the wires time permitting, then tomorrow night we are going to have dinner with Patti's son Joe and her grandkids and daughter in law, and be ready to leave first thing Friday morning.

The list is getting smaller!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Wow I'm beat! 

The first thing I did yesterday morning was wire in the T8 LED bulbs in the light fixture over the sink while still in my jammies.  What nice lamps!  Brighter than the florescent bulbs with the same color light and come on instantly.  Not hard to wire in and is reversible if you ever wanted to go back to florescents.  Patti loves it and will definitely have me installing some more of them in Carolina.

Then on with the work clothes and on to the fan clutch.  I laid a thick folded blanket on top of the air cleaner so I lay across it and reach down from the top between the fan shroud and AC compressor and air pump and whatnot.  LED headlamp on my head so I could see, there was no way to get a socket in there, so a 1/2 inch box wrench, attached to a lanyard to my wrist so I wouldn't drop it down where I'd never see it again, was my best friend.  Working very carefully so as not to drop any nuts or bolts, first I removed the whole fan clutch and fan assembly and leaned it carefully forward against the radiator.  Then I unbolted the old fan clutch from the fan and tried to remove it...no way it was going to fit between the fan shroud and belts and all that!  Simple solution...I cut out a 4x6 hole in the top of the fan shroud and was able to get it right out.  The whole assembly was covered in years of dirt, and you could barely even see the thermostatic coil on the front.  Then in with the new fan clutch...I put the fan on it from the back and left it hanging loose, then got the fan clutch lined up and on the water pump studs and secured it with one nut.  Then after a lot of tries finally got the first bolt for the fan lined up and tightened it by hand.  I then got every other fan bolt screwed in by hand, then tightened them down with the 1/2 inch box wrench.  Then I tightened down that first nut on the fan clutch, and using a screw driver was able to rotate the fan clutch so the next stud was where I could reach it, installed the nut, and repeated for all four...then torqued them all down with the wrench.  Almost done!  Lastly I found an old Rubbermaid plastic trash can lid that had a place on it about the same shape and with the same lip as the the part I cut out of the fan shroud, cut it out with my scroll saw, and screwed it in place...voila!  Doesn't look bad, and gives me access if I ever need it.

So the fan clutch was done, and it was time to replace the top radiator hose.  First I had to remove the air cleaner housing and some of the air pump hoses, then clamped the hose shut top and bottom with my Irwin quick clamps and some small blocks of wood to minimize coolant spillage, then undid the hose clamp at the thermostat housing and pulled it...not much coolant spilled on the top of the engine with the clamps in place.  Then I had to pull the hose at the radiator, which wasn't easy!  Whoever put the clamp on there...a rusty one at that...placed the nut in such a way you couldn't get a screw driver on it...had to use a mini wrench a little at a time, and it was so rusty it wouldn't loosen the clamp, but rather the nut itself finally came right out of the hose clamp all the way and the clamp fell free.  I pulled the hose and some coolant spilled under the rig.  Next the new hose went in with new hose clamps, got all tightened down, then I cleaned up all the coolant off the top of the motor with paper towels, reinstalled the air cleaner and air pump hoses, went outside and shoveled up the dirt under the RV where the coolant had spilled to keep animals safe, topped off the radiator and installed the new radiator cap, and the coolant system project was done.

Next it was back under the RV to replace the headlamp plug and coat the connections in liquid electrical tape, then back inside to test everything.

Then I checked the oil and power steering fluid...both fine...and the brake fluid, and it was time to start the engine and test everything.

The engine fired right up and I let it reach temp...no leaks!  And at idle the temp stayed at 185 degrees.  On with the lights and the highbeams worked perfectly!  I left them on and checked all the running lights, and one bulb was out on the lower back driver's side...just a bad connection, so some bulb grease and cleaning the bulb, reinstalling it, and all the lights were a go.  Engine still running and the lights still on, I checked the battery voltage and it was 13.9...so the alternator is working just fine.  When I turned the lights off, the battery voltage went back up to 14.2...SWEET!  So its the gauge on the dash that is wonky, not the charging system...the gauge said it was putting out around 11 volts.  Lights back on and engine still running, I tested the new tow lights for the Jeep, and they worked fine as well.

So I shut down the lights, shut down the engine, reinstalled the doghouse cover, and pronounced the RV mechanicals done and ready to travel.

Now it was almost 2pm...so it was time to get the Jeep ready to tow.  I marked the holes in the bumper for the tow bar brackets, and drilled them out in graduating sizes with lots of PB Blaster until I reached 1/2 inch, wallowed them out a bit, then tried to install the first bracket.  There is a big round steel pipe behind the bumper, part of the Jeep frame itself, so long story short the bolts were just a 1/4 inch too long unless I used spacer washers on the outside, and there was no way to get my fingers in there to attach the back plate and washers and lock washers and nuts, never mind get a wrench on them to tighten them down!  So the bumper had to be removed.  An wouldn't ya know it!  Torx bolts!  Big ones!  I really need to invest in a complete Torx set for the Jeep soon.  Anyhow, off to the hardware store and the biggest they had was T45, way too small.  Then to Sears Hardware, and the T50 was way too small as well...so finally at the auto parts store I tried out a T60 on the bumper bolts, which was too big, and then a T55, which was just right.  They also had the shorter grade 8 bolts and washers and nuts needed so I picked those up...just as well, since the old bolts were grade 5 and well used...and back to camp.  A pipe on the end of my ratchet and the stubborn bumper bolts came out, then a simple disconnect of the fog lights and the bumper was free, the brackets installed, the bumper and lights reinstalled, and that part of the project was a done deal. 

Time for the break away switch.  Couldn't attach it right to the bumper because it sticks out too far and is too vulnerable to damage...The small part of the body I could attach it too was too high up under the bumper so the switch would face down at a downward angle...no good.  Easy solution!  I had a leftover Z bracket from the solar panels, and bolted it to the switch hole with a stainless bolt and lock nut, then bent the back switch bracket just enough so the Z bracket would align with the angle of the body panel under the bumper, drilled a hole, and used another stainless bolt and lockwasher and bolted it down...perfect!  Now the switch sits just where it should, high and tight to the bumper without sticking out.  Then I ran the wires and zip tied them out of harms way, through the firewall where the Posi Lok cable already came through, reattached the ends, zip tied them up for when not in use, and siliconed the hole in the firewall.  So that part was done.

Now to test fit the tow lights.  They fit fine in the hatchback and the wire is more than long enough, so I didn't have to extend them.  Good deal!

Next it was time to test the fit of the Brake Buddy....good thing I did!  The floor of a 92 Jeep Wrangler YJ is a very odd shape, and the seat rails slope back making the position of the Brake Buddy way too close against the brake pedal when on the flat part of the floor, and way too far away when back tight against the seat.  Solution!  There was some big 2x10 scraps sitting in a pile from a recent site project.  2 spacer boards on the floor under the Brake Buddy, one long board behind it to take up the space between the seat rails and the Brake Buddy and to give it something to push against, then one more small spacer board to slide behind the Brake Buddy and seat cushion, a ratcheting strap around the seat rails down low and through the back of the Brake Buddy and tightened down, and the Brake Buddy was sitting in the exact right position.  The pedals on a YJ also make attachment of the arm difficult, since the clutch and brake arms are so close together, but the big heavy bungee cord I use to retract the piston arm also now doubles as a keeper for the brake pedal to keep it in the clamp...so that project was done.

The last thing to test fit was the safety cables, which I thought would clip right over the front leaf spring shackles, but alas, they were too small.  Solution!  For some reason I've been hanging on to two heavy shackles...and they were big enough to go on the leaf spring shackles, and the small enough for the safety cables to clip onto them.

So the Jeep was pronounced done and ready to tow!

It was now 6pm.  I pulled back the mattress and accessed what I would need for the hinge repair and went to the hardware store...all the way to Sears Hardware again...and picked up a 2x4, screws and the biggest piano hinge they had, stopped at the grocery store and got 2 rotiserie chickens for dinner and some Coffee Mate for Patti and some other stuff, then back to camp, where I called it a night!

This morning its fix the hinge, make and install the wire run boxes, clean up my tools and organize them, and start packing.

I figure it won't take all day to pack since we have so much less to pack down, and I have to wait for things to dry up a bit from last night's rain...don't want to pack up a wet tent...so I'm definitely going to fix the bed hinge and do the wire run boxes first thing.

So my coffee is finally kicking in, and its back to work!  I didn't think we could do it all, but we did!  Right on schedule we hit the road tomorrow morning, bright and early.  In the rain of course.

On a great parting note, I forgot to mention that when I was installing the last of the rear shocks and sitting up under the wheel well, I had a very pleasant surprise.  There is a cutout in the sheet metal above the RV frame, right over the gas tank!  You can get to the wires, the fuel lines, and even the in tank fuel pump from right there, comfortably seated with plenty of access, without having to drain and drop the fuel tank!  In the event of a future fuel pump replacement it certainly was good news that it wouldn't be a major project.  SWEET!

Okay, back to work!

Kev

joanfenn

Kevin............When the hell do your holidays start??  You are wearing me out............

DonD

Every time I read one of Kev's entries, I need a nap  ???
Don and Mary

Froggy1936

Hey Kev on those miserable old hose clamps instead of fighting them a dremmel with a reinforced cut off wheel will handle them quickly being careful not to contact radiator outlet  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Joan and Don!  That's our life...burst working like crazy during the season...then using the money to relax on our vacations...which we get plenty of.  We have from Thanksgiving until February off, thus all the boondocking prep for our adventures in Arizona.  Then we work like heck February and March and have the month of April off...plan on going to finally see the Grand Canyon this year if we can find a dog friendly hotel.  I don't want to drive the RV up that much elevation, although I'm sure she'd make it...I just don't want to beat on the poor thing.  We tried last year but every room was booked with spring break...Don't the college kids go somewhere warm like Aruba?  Patti is going to make reservations once we are settled in in Carolina.  Then we work our butts off for the month of May and will have June and July off, so we're thinking of a trip up north, maybe see Mount Rushmore, maybe funds permitting even taking a trip to the Northwest if there is a pass that isn't too crazy in elevation gain...would love to see Oregon and Washington.  Anyhow, that's how we get to have so much fun in the off season...lots of blood and sweat when its time to work!

And Frank, I thought about that, but the collar on my Dremel is messed up...can't get the sander head off of it, but the sander head is what I use on the catapults, its the older USA made Dremel and works great otherwise, and I'd hate to buy a new one since they're made in China now.

So yesterday went according to plan.  The first thing I did was fix the bed hinge and reinstall the hydrolic pistons with Patti's help.  Then stowed the new 35 gallon freshwater tank under the bed...gonna hook it up in Carolina to increase our freshwater capacity when boondocking...and called that project finished.

Then I took measurements and made a template for the wire run cover boxes and went to the workshop and made them out of oak and wood puttied and sanded them and came back and test fit them.  The one in the bathroom fit perfectly...going to have to notch out the one for under the dinette, but I can do that today before staining them with Minwax. 

I got all this done by 12:30pm, then the great packdown began.  Since I decided to take more care balancing the load in the RV, everything had to come out of the compartments first.  Then I took everything that was staying and brought it to the workshop to store it for the year...my buddy Matt is framing in and boxing off the workshop for me and isn't charging me much (we only had a canvas wall around it until now)...and then it was time to clean and organize all my tools. 

It took until 6pm by the time the last compartment was filled.  Heaviest stuff went in the passenger side compartments, lightest stuff on the driver's side.  Was able to get a lot of stuff out of the house while I was at it and now there isn't a single loose item in the RV that doesn't have a home in a cabinet or compartment...SWEET!

Finally I went to Sear's Hardware to see if they had a mini compressor/tire inflator that was capable of inflating to 100psi, and of course they either didn't have one, or else they store clerks had no idea about their product.  They had one that had a gauge that read up to 150psi, but the literature in the box said nothing about max pressure it would inflate to...so I'll get one later in NC and just air up the tires and front air bags with my compressor from the workshop today when the rain lets up this afternoon.

And that was the day, and every muscle in my body is sore...lol! 

We decided that since its raining cats and dogs and is supposed to all day, with a break in the rain this afternoon, we are going to pull out of camp this afternoon into the patron parking lot, hook up the Jeep and be ready to hit the road first thing Saturday morning.  The weather Saturday and Sunday is supposed to be very nice!

Not a lot to do today, so it will be nice to relax before taking a long road trip tomorrow.

Once my coffee kicks in we have to go to the post office and mail out 3 internet orders, so while there in town we'll get some road groceries, and I'll stop at the hardware store and pick up the brass screws and Golden Oak stain for the wire run boxes and stain and install them when we get home.  And see if THAT hardware store has a mini compressor that will reach 100 psi. 

Then this afternoon when the rain breaks we'll load the last few things in the Jeep...just a couple of light cases of stock, the grill, the porch mats and porch chairs, and the empty cooler and folding fire ring.  Then break camp, roll out to the parking lot, hook the Jeep up to the tow bar, hook up the tow lights, and be ready to roll at first light.  We'll run off the inverter tonight...so I'm really excited to see how the solar panels put out when in full sun and the batteries needing a charge.  Of course, we'll unplug the converter and put the fridge on propane.

Somewhere along route we'll pull into a Flying J and fill the onboard propane tank...its down to just over 10% so we've been using a pony tank for the last few weeks.  Its enough to make it to NC and then some, but its time to top it off! 

Going to be a long drive tomorrow though...losing today for travel means I have to drive the lion's share tomorrow to roll into the parking lot of the Carolina Renfaire in Huntersville, NC by Sunday afternoon.  Should be a nice ride though with the new shocks and tires and steering stabilizer, and everything mechanically sound.  And carrying and pulling a lot less weight!

Okay, gonna play on the internet a bit since I can, then get some more stuff done at a leisurely pace...for the first time in a while!

Kev

DonD

Don and Mary