MICE in Your Coach!

Started by MSN Member, November 09, 2008, 05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocoholic

Sent: 4/6/2003 5:15 PM

Hello,
    Here's what an old timer told me about Mice long ago! They go where they don't belong first of all. and here is the cure:
Get some steel wool and pack it in all of the holes. Such as the water lines, electrical hook up lines, and also along frames where they climb upon tires to gain access to coach. They will gnaw and chew etc to gain access at times but mice rats etc wont mess with steel wool , Hope this Helps to the question of Mice in Coach!

So get under that RV. Now for the cure of Mice trapped inside, take out all food & water sources, then place the traps and BINGO! this also works for the Home, Cabin , etc... Hope this helps!

JDxeper

The only thing that works for me is the bait and traps.  Try the baits and traps on the outside, top of tires, on the frame rail, ectc. Good luck
JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

4winds

ClydesdaleKevin

Sampson the Wonder Kitty keeps all the critters out of our RV...even bugs!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tiinytina

yea last year found one who had chewed through the back of the toilet seat only to fall in and expire... didn't feel bad about flushing him either...  :angel:
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

junkyarddogfan

there usta be a lady in watford city, nd that had developed and invented a product, i think it was called mouse proof or something like that...looked a lot like a poppuri sack, anyways her and her husband owned a farm and during the winter mice got into their combine and tractor cabs and such...she would put 1 or 2 of these in each unit and never had another mice problem again...the north dakota ag magazine did an article on her and she started seling them...this was back in 2001 when i lived in nd, but i am sure if someone googles something about it they should find an article and where to order it...i actually ordered (12) of them before i moved and they did surprisingly well..i couldn't smell anything from them but evidentally mice can.

mhd_graphics

I've heard that peppermint oil works pretty good...

Bakeman

I use moth balls in the under storage and bounce sheets in the living area.  When we had a trailer years ago, it would be stored outside all winter and never a problem.  Some people don't like moth balls, but if you air it out good in the spring it's not a big deal.  Beats the hell outta a mouse problem anyway. 

sdkid

These are available locally here from the farm & fleets. I can get the name tomorrow if needed. I have them in mine, but have only owned mine for a few weeks.
1975 Winnebago Brave.

tiinytina

Moth balls make my asthma go haywire... I tuck those wax based mouse baits everywhere the dogs can't get into...  and if I see any evidence out come the traps, baited with a glob of peanut butter, and check them almost daily...  Gone is stored outside on dad's farm near his 5th, bordering a swamp about 50' from his barn....  so far so good this winter... no "evidence" has presented and no "dead mouse smell" either... yet anyway..... :-)....

tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

Two days ago Samson caught a mouse outside...but apparently the house mouse is some sort of pet...lol!  He's a strange kitty!

Looks like its gonna be mouse traps!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

joanfenn

What we have tried so far with luck are Irish Spring soap bars.  Tuck them into every nook and cranny, closets and the drawers along the floor and also in the outside compartments.  I buy them at the dollar store.  The bonus is, the coach sure smells nice in the spring.  I have also tried those little sacks and I noticed that they smell a lot like the Irish Spring soap bars.  Go figure. ???

rampa

We had a mouse get in our fifth wheel when it was all closed up for the winter. We found that it had entered via the door where the shore power cord went out to the power post. After this I made a mouse guard by drilling a one inch hole in the lid from a large coffee can and making a slit from the hole in the centre to the outer edge to fit it over the cable, and positioning it about a foot from the door and a couple feet off the ground. the mice ran up the cable and fell of trying to get around the lid. I gotthis idea from the ships putting out rat guards when they tie up in port.

My sister put mint teabags in her trailer when they had it stored in an empty hay shed and theirs was the only one with out mouse problems in the spring.
Retirement takes all the meaning out of weekend

cosmic

I have tried everything including moth balls. no luck. for the past 7 years I load up 12 or so traps with smoked meat and come out every 6 weeks to re bate and remove the dead mice.
with my old rig its not a matter of if but when they get in to kill them asap.

Mytdawg

I've been fighting these little pests for a very long time in my FAN trailer and now my dad's old mobile home.  The motor home is the least of my concerns.
I tried dryer sheets and the damn mice made a nest in the Bounce box...   D:oH!   Then they moved all the d-con into the Bounce box (with dryer sheets still in it).  Moth balls do nothing to them either.  Not these up here anyway.  They eat the wiring, the wood trim, anything paper or cloth.  Nothing short of  complete annihilation seems to slow down the damage.

I lay down a carpet bomb of d-con and put sticky traps in the cupboards.  I put all cloth, especially blankets and towels in sealed plastic stackable containers.  And all it does is slow them down.  I go through several of the commercial sized boxes of traps every year.  Then I have to go through it all again and get rid of any d-con they stash so the dogs can't get into it, it will kill them too.

I hate meeses to pieces.   $@!#@!

DaveVA78Chieftain

WARNING

IN NO WAY IS THIS INTENDED FOR THOSE WHO ARE
SQUEAMISH,
FAINT AT HEART, OR
DISTURBED BY GRAPHIC DISCLOSURES

YOU HAVE BEEN APPROPRIATELY WARNED

IT ELIMINATES THE MICE BUT WOULD BE OBJECTIONABLE TO MANY

[move][/move]

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

maxximuss

moonlitcoyote

The thing with steel wool, which I learned from my pest control guy it the mice have to actually gnaw or eat the steel wool for it to work. Once they chew on it and get it into them it will kill them. We use big glue traps in the house that came from terminex and they worked wonders, no more mouse in my house.

Oz

The glue traps worked best for me too.  But, just the cheap ones from wally world.  They wouldn't go in until I put a blob of peanutbutter in the middle of it.  Then, I didn't realize how many mice we had... operative word... "had".
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep.  I'm all about being humane to animals, but the glue traps do work the best.  And mice do a lot of damage and carry nasty diseases.  And my cat has decided that any creature in the house must be a pet, so he'll just watch a mouse skitter around.  Outside, he's the Hannibal Lector of the feline realm.  Inside, he's useless...lol!

Kev

TerryH

Suggestion that worked well for me:
As above, peanut butter for mice, onion slices for rats:

For inside, standard spring trap is fine. Effective addition is to wipe the entry end of the trap -lightly- with PB to eliminate human odour.

Get a peice of 1 x 4 or plywood, couple of inches wider and considerably longer than the spring trap.
Get a plastic soda? mayo? bottle and cut the fill end off.
Next, lay it down, determine how high the "kill" spring of the trap will go and cut the - now- bottom of the bottle off leaving enough of the bottle above to clear the kill end.
Bait and wipe the trap, place it on the wood - baited end of trap towards you - and place the bottle over top - open end to you. You can leave tabs to staple the bottle to the wood - I used to do this in my boathouse.

Reason for this is that rodents typically stay close to a wall. The bottle directcs them into the bait end of the trap as opposed to the "safe" end.

If you have ever set spring traps and have seen them sprung but nothing caught it is generally because the rodent entered and has taken the bait at the safe end rather than the kill end. Safe  end springs only and either throws the bugger away or hurts it enough that it heads for a dark space - your wall - and proceeds to rot and stink. Good luck finding it.

Bonus with the plastic bottle etc. is you slide each effective trap out and slide a new one in.

Don't forget the PB on the base - mice and rats have been here for centuries. They are ########smart.

Terry

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

M & J

M & J

Stripe

That bucket one I know for a fact works.  Did it when I was working for a gold mining company back in 1984 (Yes I was 16 I was the assistant mining engineer me and the main engineer pointed at the ground and said "Dig here." and got paid for it!)

We used that bucket in our bunkhouse and amalgamation lab.  Another one we did was similar to the bucket but using either a plastic or glass gallon milk jug.  Smear the PB far enough inside the neck and meeses fall into the water at bottom.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

legomybago

I've seen the meeses in a half full or half empty glass bottle of orange soda pop too!! Climb right in, crazy mice....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy