Removing Bowden Transmission Shift Cable

Started by LJ-TJ, September 18, 2012, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Ok Boys good stuff. HOW do you get in there to get it out. Anybody got any pictures on how to replace it. Mine locked up in park at a service station. I yanked it out finally to get us going. It was stiff but I could get it into revers and drive and neutral but it finally locked up in drive. After much yanking I got it out but something has to be replaced. Darned if I can figure it out. Anybody feel like holding my hand through this project.

The manual doesn't give any real idea how to get the cable out.

Lordy! Lordy! Lordy! How in the world are you supposed to get in there to take those two screws out. HELP!   i??

Thanks gang.   Hm?

tiinytina

Hmm looks like you need small fingers and a small person again... ok good enough excuse for me to come for a visit to fix/install something for you... again... :P

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

The_Handier_Man1

I guess I don't remember having a problem using a screw driver to take out the two screws you can see and the ones to the right of those two screws.
I am sure you can angle a screwdriver behind the dash thru the opening you took the picture of.
And let me know if you really need more help with this.
Les

LJ-TJ

Hey Les thanks for responding. There is a piece of the metal dash that covers those two screws on the right side of the opening. I can't see any way to get at them without taking a die grinder to the metal portion of the dash. I'm going to try and take a hobby knife and cut the foam away vinyl so I can get at the screws. But since I've got you here. If I put it in park it locks into park. It takes a while but if I pull and push long enough and hard enough sometimes it breaks loose. Lately It started doing it in other positions. I was wondering if I was to disconnect the cable at the tranny and tried to shift it if it still stuck then the problem could be  narrowed down to the cable or the shifter it's self. What do you think. Thanks again.  Hm?

The_Handier_Man1

I would remove the shifter from the dash and the cable from the tranny because when my cable started sticking the end of the cable that connects to the back of the dash part is where it was bending.
If I remember right you should be able to see the transmission shift arm move from inside looking down with the engine cover off. 
I just looked back at my BLOG and realized it was 4 years ago that I changed my cable.  Have you ever looked at my BLOG? You can use the search box at the top left to find things I have done.

Froggy1936

Yes TJ if you disconnect the cable at the trans you can then move the lever on the trans to make shure the problem is not internal (make shure veh cannot move when you take lever out of park getting run over will spoil your day) If lever feels normal prob os in the cable as most have been Another option (wich is what i did) is to go with a floor shifter by B&M)  I did not like the dash shifter  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Froggy1936

Floor shifter About the same price as a cable - Frank

Froggy1936

I know your floor / engine cover layout would probably make a right side mount unlikely this could be dash mounted (different cable lengths are available)  Or mounted on the Left side of the seat On the floor  Frank

LJ-TJ

Well I got to tell you I feel a hole lot better now you chaps jumped in. Fortunately I have 5 1975 Winnebago's in various stages of parts and all have those two bolts in some cases and screws in other all hidden behind the the metal portion of the dash and on nun of them can you get a wrench or screwdriver in or on them. I have no idea what they were thinking when they installed the shifter. I'm going to try and get a grinding bit and see if I can't grind just enough out to get at the screws. I'll get a picture once I get them out. Going to be challenging.

ibdilbert01

TJ, I just went outside and took pictures of the backside of my dash / shifter, I can't imagine yours being any different other than location.   Sure you don't have nuts holding it on?

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

LJ-TJ

Thanks, that's pretty cool how you did that with the pictures. I wish I had that kind a room. It looks like my NUTs are attached to the back of the plate. I'm going to try and find a dye grinder wheel Monday and see if I can't surgicaly remove what I need to access the nuts without cutting to far into the padded dash. Hm?

LJ-TJ

OK! Better day than I thought. I found a dye grinder ( I think that's what it's called) That's what the first picture is, my drill with the dye grinder in it. NOW I don't know about any body else's Winnebago but on the 1975 with the shifter on the left side of the dash you "CAN NOT" get the two screws on the right side of the shifter out with out grinding enough of the metal dash out in order to get the screws out. That's the second picture.

LJ-TJ

This is what the little sucker looks like when it's out.

LJ-TJ

Now here's the question. I pulled the little cotter key and pulled the cable off. Now the cable sleeve it's self is in some kind of clap or clip type thing that the cable sleeve won't come out of. Do I spread the two little prongs apart to get the cable out. i??

ibdilbert01

Talking about these?   Looks like the factory kind bent them inwards to keep the cable in?   I bent mine out to get the cable out, but be careful, I broke one off and now the cable won't stay put w/out the help of a few zip ties in a X configuration.    So take some caution when spreading them apart.   

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

LJ-TJ

BINGO that's them and Yep that's what I was worried about. It's hooked up the same as the one underneath. Haven't touched it yet going to wait till the morning and like you say take my time.WOW! thanks for that I thought I might get myself and still might get myself in the same fix your in. Even with the shifter out it's still feels stiff or not really the way I think it should feel. Let you know more tomorrow. Thanks a million. :)clap

Froggy1936

Remember TJ that you cannot get too much lubricant on the moving parts upon reassembly, Its better to have grease and oil ruining clothes than have to do it again !!  Frank 

LJ-TJ

Gotter Done. Finished up tonight. Thanks for all your help gang couldn't have done it with out you. It was the hole shifter mechanism. Fortunately I had a spare out of one of my parts bago's. Can't tell you a hole lot at the moment as I haven't torn down the old shifter unit yet but will pictures if any one is interested. What did I learn. Well you can't get at two of the screws or nuts holding the shifter unit in place. On a 1975 with the shifter unit on the left side of the dash you have to grind out just enough metal to get the screw driver in or a socket which ever you have. The shift cable is held in place with two little fingers squeezed together. One has to be careful when spreading them apart. If you break one off then you have a challenge a head of you.Setting those two issues aside. It is a fairly easy project to fix. Thanks again gang for all your help.