floor wax on gelcoat works----so far!

Started by joanfenn, June 09, 2012, 09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joanfenn

After two weeks of fairly warm weather, a road trip and now a lot of rain past, present and in the forecast, things are still shiny.  I am pleasantly surprised with the zep wax I put on the mh.  I can see why a lot of people were talking about this.  Easy to apply, four coats in 3 hours.  And the old girl looks at least ten years younger.  The MH not me.   :)  Now the next thing I will have to try will be putting baby oil on the front cap to help with bug removal when you set up camp.  Has anyone tried that trick yet?  I am not too concerned with ruining the wax shine because that is easy to reapply.  Probably easier then scrubbing off little dried on bug bodies anyway. Hm?

Oz

Awesome!   :) :)ThmbUp
Hopefully it will be durable through the seasons and help protect that gel coat.  That's one of the biggest issues with the exteriors of the fiberglass body RVs.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

joanfenn

That is why I tried this method but it was so badly oxidized that the scrubbies didn't work for me.  I lightly sanded the sides with 360 grit paper until I could actually touch it without feeling the little needles of the fibreglass.  Then washed with tsp then started with the wax.  I used the Zep and applied it with a paint roller.  No buffing and easy to apply to spots that were a little thin or that I missed.  Great stuff and so far still shiny.  It will be interesting to see how it does over the winter. 

rushton88

Hi Joan,
How did the "wax" job winter?  Hope it worked well - any hints for the dull and clouded finishes?  Thx

joanfenn

Havent washed and waxed it this year yet, but I am pleased with the shine.  There are a few bare spots where the wax has flaked off over the winter but it looks good and will be a breeze to get it all shiny again for the season.  Too much going on around the homestead this year with landscaping and painting the house.  You can see what it looked like before I refinished the motorhome by going to my album.  Quite a change. 

M & J

M & J

joanfenn

Thank you, and the wolf's eyes are great too.

moonlitcoyote

Wow, you have a beautiful rig and I love the eyes

joanfenn

Thanks MJ, we like it too.  And  the eyes seem to help get rid of the tailgaters.

M & J

M & J

bakerman

I have a 1996 Allegro gas 454 and it is fiberglass exterior I have metal painted exterior compartments.  I purchased the MH 3 years ago. I first used Zep wet look floor polish right after I purchased it and was totally amazed. It sits in Texas heat most of the time. I used bar keepers friend to remove all wax and oxidation with a scrub pad and applied very light coats with a micro fiber towels. I had no flaking or yellowing and have read on several rv sites it is very important to remove all old wax and oxidation so preparation is very important. I ended up applying 5 coats to my Allegro it did fine for 2 1/2 years. I applies a refresher coat about 6 mos. ago. I have tried it on my old aluminum painted boat and it looks great.  I have owned  4 MHs and only wish I heard about the Zep floor wax years ago it would have saved me untold numbers of hours of hand waxing and buffing. Love the site  keep them shining.