Partial Roof Replacement - Minnie Winnie

Started by Froggy1936, May 22, 2011, 12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggy1936

Partial Roof Repair (Frt Section) On A Mini Winnie . Replaced with double layer of 1/2 in plywood 4'x8' trimmed to fit, glued together in place, attached to side braces with screws . Original aluminum relaid and stapled , Silicone sealed, and coated with Kool Seal . Also had to remove frt window (leaker) Replace frt section. And replace all wood above driver/passenger (under bunk) also was rotted. Squeeking wile driving eliminated with repair.

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Froggy1936

Recoat with Kool Seal every 3 years

Froggy1936

Roof repair was done when first purchased. Then roadtested to Houston Tx to determine if further repairs were worth it. Decided to continue . Shelf replacement and frt section repairs done later leading to repaint of complete cab As you know one thing leads to another.

Froggy1936

As you can see shelf was not holding much.

Froggy1936

One seam cracked and had to be redone before refinishing cab.

Froggy1936

These photos were all taken with a 35mm camera a wile back (1998-2004) i just had them digitized and put on a disk . Have not yey had any water leaks or squeaks.

Froggy1936

Layout of Classic Winnebago Emblem & finished product i would not undertake this project again as it was a lot of expense and work. Satisfying at the time though. - Frank

tmackx

I'm sure I will feel the same after my project.  The next motorhome I buy will be turn key and I know what to look for now. 

arasb

My roof also needed repair.  Had bad sagging and was leaking.  After reading through the repair options here, I chose to use steel braces from the top spanning the width of the RV.  Then drilling holes through the roof connecting a couple pieces of 1x3 pine from the inside, pulling up the roof.  I then used 'Through the roof' clear roof sealant to seal it all up.  Water still pools, but to fix that I'd probably have to replace the roof with a convex structure, which I might eventually do since the ceiling is pretty rotted out.
Thanks for the photos for inspiration!
Aras

serenitygirl64

LOVE what you did on the front and now it leaves me curious as to your interior after you finished the roof and paint job.

Froggy1936

SG64 Look at my album there are interior pics there Frank