Need Wiring Diagram for 1979 M500 WITH (4) Wire Isolator

Started by hankf_52, May 28, 2012, 06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hankf_52

Anyone have a wiring diagram for my 1979 Titan with dodge m500 chassis for the (4) terminal isolator..a previous owner removed the aux battery and hooked everything up to the chassis battery, I'm trying to hook everything back up the way it came.. the isolator has a shurtech name and number on it but no markings left beside the terminals
thanks

DaveVA78Chieftain

Only place you might be able to locate a owners manual for a Titan is over at Champion Fleet Owners site http://www.championfleetowners.org/.  Unfortunantly the person running it has not been around for a while and I have no clue when (or if) you can get through the registration process.

As far as the diode battery isolator, it would have been added by the coach mfg so you will not find any reference to it in the chassis wiring diagram.  Here is some information from Surepower about how to hook them up http://www.countryhomescampers.com/pdf/Multibattery_Isolator_Instructions.pdf.   However, you said 4 terminal isolator.  Those are only used with the Group 2 alternators that have a seperate alternator "sense" circuit.  You would use a 3 terminal (group 1) diode isolator with a Dodge M500 chassis as the Dodge system does not use a seperate "sense" circuit.  Please be advised that there is a 0.7VDC drop across a diode isolator.  This means the batteries may not see full charging voltage.

The alternative to a diode isolator is a AUX Battery Solinoid which is the defacto standard on modern coaches.  It would be controlled by dash switch.  Being a relay solinoid, it does not have the voltage drop of a diode isolator.   This was the standard method used over the years for almost all Winnebago
coaches.

Given everything was transfered over to the chassis battery, do you need to know what a generic RV wiring setup is?

Dave
[move][/move]

hankf_52

Yes I do Dave , as I have about (4) wires that are now disconnected in the battery box

I don't have a problem switching up to a dual battery solenoid ,I just want to be sure what all the wires are for, Yes I have tried (championfleetowners )and am waiting for approval since January, so I doubt that its coming

Thanks
Hank

DaveVA78Chieftain

I had a hunch you had already been trying championfleetowners.  So we are left with having to figure out where things go.  Are we talking about heavy gauge battery  cables like go to the starter solinoid / starter or are these say 10, 12, or 14 gauge wires that would be used for charging or circuit distribution?  Sorry, have to start with basic questions and work up from there.

Basic dual battery solinoid circuit used on a Winnebago.

You can simply use a On/Off switch to energize/deenergize the relay.  Allows you to:
1.  Use the alternator to charge coach battery
2.  Use the coach batteries to assist the chassis battery to start the engine.
3.  With a single switch you could also use the converter to charge the  chassis battery.
4.  Todays modern coaches use a BIRD controller to control the relay which provides automatic battery charging based on voltage values.

I will have to rework one of my basic rig setup drawings because there are errors in them that I do not want to post yet.
Do you have a generator?
If so, how do you transfer back and forth between shore and generator power?
What kind (mfg/model number) of converter do you have?

Dave
[move][/move]

hankf_52

Yes I have an onboard generator..I'm not sure what model the convertor is,I'll have to check..To transfer from shore and generator  power I plug the shore power cable into a plug inside the cable box next to the generator. I also am guessing that it has a switch on the dash to momentarily connect the coach battery to the chassis battery. Only one cable is large, it goes to the generator the rest of the cables are small..maybe 10 gauge...no circuit breakers neither
Thanks
Hank

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

hankf_52