How much oil does the 454 in an Itasca hold?

Started by Alaskan Itasca, May 10, 2012, 01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaskan Itasca

My Itasca has a 454 and someone before me has replaced the dipstick with something that is not a dipstick....I can see there is oil on the non dipstick but can't tell what it means, so I bought a universal dipstick that I'll need to calibrate to use. I don't know how much oil the motor holds. I've read any thing from 5-9 quarts including the filter depending on the oil pan used.....

I'm hoping all the RVs use the same oil pan so this will be easy......I need to change the oil anyway, the previous owner was clueless he hadn't changed the oil in the 2 years he owned it (he also didn't know the reason why the 12 volt stuff didn't work was because there were no coach batteries installed).... i??
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E

ClydesdaleKevin

Yay!  A question I can finally answer with absolute surety... :)rotflmao

Having had a 77 Itasca, I can tell you the exact truth.

With a filter change, 7 quarts.

Without a filter change, 6 quarts.

That's it!

Its the same on our 89 Holiday Rambler with a 454, so I'm assuming all 454s are the same, but don't quote me on that one.  But on your 77 Itasca, its 7 quarts with a new filter, and 6 without a filter (I always wondered why they even list a capacity without a filter change...who would ever change the oil and not the filter at the same time?).

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Alaskan Itasca

Thanks, now I can change the oil and calibrate the universal dipstick.

I have read there were several different oil pans on the 454 depending on the vehicle it was used in which impacted the oil capacity.

1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP

tiinytina

Just to be different.. Gone 2 the Dawgs our 1987 454 7.4BBL uses close to 9 qts per change/filter....   Y! 

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Oz

Quote from: tiinytina on May 10, 2012, 06:23 PM
Just to be different.. Gone 2 the Dawgs our 1987 454 7.4BBL uses close to 9 qts per change/filter....   Y! 

Tina

Could that be true because it's 11 years newer?  Perhaps they changed the pan size in that lenght of time?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

Well, my Georgie boy, (454 4bbl) is an 1988 model on an '87 chassis and it uses 7 qts w/filter...
So it's not because hers is newer.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteJust to be different.. Gone 2 the Dawgs our 1987 454 7.4BBL uses close to 9 qts per change/filter....   

Intresting Tina.  I do know the Chevy/GM P-30 Service and Maintenace manual in CWVRV free manuals section says 6 plus 1 for the P30 454.  Wonder why yours is different?

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Allegro might have added an extra capacity oil pan?  Our 89 Holiday Rambler uses the same as our old 77 Itasca...6+1.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Alaskan Itasca

I do know there are different pans for different trucks, i assumed allthe rvs would be the same though. I now have the oil filter and the oil but we have a light breeze today(about 40 mph) and its only 45 degrees. I am hoping it will warm up so I can work on the outside projects.

I guess I will do pads and rotors on my wife'S MDX today instead.
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP

Alaskan Itasca

Ok next question. It appears I have a 2 quart filter installed. Napa gave me what looks to be a 1 quart filter. Is the 7 quarts of oil with a 2 quart filter or a one? Can i even use the smaller filter? I am currently draining the oil in the midst of the oil change.

Edit: I reread the first answer it appears 1 quart is the normal filter size. That may answer the oil capacity question for the rigs holding more oil. They may have 2 quart filters installed.
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP

tiinytina

Gone uses a 1qt filter.  The pan seems deep but I have nothing to compare to...  knowing Tiffin it may be a mod that they did.... the dip stick reads right where it needs to be...  Think I have a Duraguard filter on her currently.

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep, the standard filter is 1 quart, so it will be total of 7 quarts on your Itasca with a filter change.

Its funny that my little Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 I6 engine takes 6 quarts...lol!

Kev

Alaskan Itasca

I just used the 1 quart filter. Turns out my makeshift dipstick is calibrated with high and low scored spot on the bottom. The universal dipstick is to flat and fat to even fit in the tube and it is too short.

My 98 BMW M3 holds 7 quarts in it's 3.2 L inline 6.....the Germans like their oil. I'll be towing that car behind the RV wednesday as I head to tanacross for the two times a year to watch the wheel to wheel guys race. In between they let us non race car guys do a few time trial runs.

1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP

Elandan2

Ah! the pleasures of owning a classic RV.  Sooner or later you'll catch up to it.    Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

I know what the connection between engine oil capacity and furnace control boards is.....  They're totally different subjects 

N:(
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca