Mystery Transmission component

Started by DonD, May 27, 2012, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonD

My new to me  '87 Southwind CL A has this on the steering column support. I see what it is but I'd like to know what it does.

The near adjustment hole says: centering adjustment. The far adjustment hole says: system sensitivity adjustment and the arrows point to "increase". It is plugged into a multipin flat plug, very hard to trace the wires in the very busy under dash area.

Motorhome

OEM REPLICA SERIES

Automatic transmission electronic servo

Electronics module

P/N 27023564
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

joanfenn

I am going to take a guess and it has to do with the cruise control.  What do I win????

ClydesdaleKevin

That does look a lot like my cruise control module, but it doesn't have a sticker or anything.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

HandyDan

It is in fact a cruise control module.  Here is a link to a forum that has additional pictures and discusses it:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380099&start=0
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DonD

Quote from: HandyDan on May 28, 2012, 09:28 AM
It is in fact a cruise control module.  Here is a link to a forum that has additional pictures and discusses it:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380099&start=0
Thank You All!!!

The CC does work, a bit balky but it works. Maybe I can "debalk".....better leave alone!
Don and Mary

DonD

Quote from: joanfenn on May 27, 2012, 10:53 PM
I am going to take a guess and it has to do with the cruise control.  What do I win????
You win a big THANK YOU!!   :)clap
Don and Mary

Oz

And we thought the "samba" was just an old dance...  BanDan
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DonD

Found this:

Here is the method I used to adjust the cruise control in my 1984 Eagle:

1) Find a lightly traveled road where a 50 mile per hour speed is not unusual and continues for several miles.

2) Place all adjustments to their mid-point.

3) Adjust the low-speed cut in so the cruise control will not engage below 28 mph.

4) Adjust centering so the cruise control controlled speed is 1/2 (0.5) MPH above set speed. This pulls the pedal away from your foot ever so slightly when you engage the cruise control.

5) Adjust sensitivity so the cruise control operates smoothly, and does not allow the speed to vary wildly up or down before compensating.

When adjusted properly, the cruise control works quite well. Speed will vary a bit going up and down hill, but on level roads will hold speed rock-steady. If your unit isn't quite perfect on the level, do the best you can and then use the unit. The unit seems to work better the more it is used.

Note: Steps 3 and 4 seem to affect each other. They may need to be repeated once or twice to get the adjustment just right.
Don and Mary