Oil Filter on Onan Genset 6.5NH-3CR / 6020P

Started by Randy_in_Ohio, March 22, 2012, 11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy_in_Ohio

Onan Genset 6.5NH-3CR / 6020P

I have looked all over this generator and can not find an oil filter!
I even called the PO tonight and asked him if it had an oil filter, he said it did but since the generator only has about 200 hrs on it he has only changed the filter once, he said it was a real PITA to get to so he usually just changed the oil and not the filter.

I have searched Google images and the pics I've looked at seem to show a filter in the front of the generator sticking out about an inch through the shroud. I do not see this filter on mine and have felt around on the rear side of the generator and don't feel it... I really don't think there is a filter on this thing.

Can anyone confirm whether or not it has an oil filter? If it does, what is the part number? and where can I get it?

DaveVA78Chieftain

I take it your web search was reffering to the one in the bottom left corner of this picture:

According to the NH Operators and parts manuals the Onan P/N for that one is 122-0323.  Is it posible the filter is in that location but the shroud on yours extends out farther and covers it up?

Dave
[move][/move]

Randy_in_Ohio

Dave, yeah that's the picture I keep coming up with but mine does not have the oil filter next to the tag.  I even removed that shroud and there is no oil filter behind it either.  this thing really has me stumped. i??

Randy_in_Ohio

DaveVA78Chieftain

That is the only oil system filter I have seen so far

Last letter in your model number is "Spec number"  Yours says P so the first one should be yours

Spec J-R

Spec A-D

They do not list a E-I

I will have to look at the video when I get home.  Cannot do it at work.

Dave
[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

Next best resource is to join Smokstak (free) and ask over there for info.  Great bunch of people there for generator and small engine stuff.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Dave
[move][/move]

Randy_in_Ohio

Dave,

I seen that pic in the manual, that is what makes me think it has an oil filter.

I found a lot of good info on Smokstak and joined last night and posted the question there this morning as well.  I tried to find a pic of my generator but that video was the only one I could find that looks like mine in the front all the other pics I found show that oil filter sticking through the shroud.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Will look at it when I get home.  Not sure if I can help but will at least give it the royal try!  Though as I said, the people at Smokstak know way more than me.  Many are certified Onan techs or have been working on Onans for decades.

Dave
[move][/move]

tiinytina

The oil filter is the white round object on lower left.. they are inset on these models and don't stick out at all... and are horizontal... our Emerald I is in the same location....
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

75Travco

I have the same genset (16004P series), uses a WIX 51764 oil filter, available at auto stores like NAPA.  This filter has a 7/8" or so hex on the end so it can be installed or removed with an open end wrench.  This is handy as the generator is really shoehorned into the the compartment!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Randy,
I see you got your answer over at Smokstak (http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102832).  No oil filter was installed on your paticular 6.5NH version (6.5NH-3CR / 16020P
).   The addition of the bypass filter they recommended would be a good upgrade (http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99726).

Dave
[move][/move]

Randy_in_Ohio

Yes, I think this mystery is solved! Apparently, this model came in two different versions, one with an oil filter, and one without an oil filter. I wish it had an oil filter, it just seems like it should... but, I'm not dropping this monster out of the coach to add one either. If I ever had to drop it, I would add one, but I'm not going to go and open a can of worms. I think I'll just keep it filled with fresh SAE 30 and change it about ever 25 hrs or so.

tiinytina

you may not have to drop it.. ours is on a hinge.. you unbolt the front and it swings down to change out plugs, wires etc... but yours may not be the same install...
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Randy_in_Ohio

This thing does not swing down, if it did, I doubt I would be able to swing it back up! That thing probably weighs 500 lbs.  I changed the oil out tonight and filled it with Shell Rotella 15W-40. I didn't get a chance to start it up as it was a little late and didn't want to tick off the neighbors. I already have a feeling the guy across the street from me doesn't appreciate the presence of my vintage RV on our street as much as I do. i??