Updating 3 speed auto TH400 to 4 speed w OD 1977 Mini

Started by Froggy1936, March 17, 2012, 09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wantawinnie

Froggy1936

A little more progress Installed the remote power steering resivouir (anyone with the original 77 setup will appriciate this) Also the P/S cooler from the 95. Replaced original electric fuel pump with higher output (for TBI) fuel pump and filter New House batterys & solinoid May as well have everything new at once !!    My son noticed That the angle on the A/C compressor is not correct (engineers dont ya love em) So after i get everything else done ill go back to the *@&** A/C again this feature has cost me over 2 weeks extra time already I will have to modify the compressor now as i am not going thru remaking the bracket again  !!  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

For reference:
Not sure what you got however the picture of yours looks like the one I have which is a 130 gal 14PSI electric fuel pump that I regulate down to 6PSI.   One thing about that pump is it is VERY VERY noisy.

Dave
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

This pump is from Mr Gasket The one i took off was from Holly they look identical . You cant see it from the picture but i have it mounted on a Chevrolet rear automatic transmission mount wich is bolted to the frame  .It is a block of rubber about 1 1/2 in thick . The holly was not very noisy  But my dual exaust thru very small mufflers (cherry bombs) make a lot of noise anyway . And i am hard of hearing too !! Frank

Froggy1936

More Progress up to about 89%  TBI & Transmission computor installed (lives under L/F seat) made new transmission cable mount  and modified 3 speed lever (will not have access to manual low) But could not locate a floor shifter for 4L80E Install radiator support and plumbed in rad and trans cooler ..... A/C lines to be mfg And wireing to be completed Then install fiberglass frt end After initial road test (to make sure i dont have to do it all again )  :( :'(  Getting very tired of all this work !!!  6 to 8 hrs a day for the last 6 mo  ???   Frank

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Wantawinnie

Your doing a great job. The first drive should make all the work worth it. :)ThmbUp

Froggy1936

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on May 22, 2013, 11:32 AM
For reference:
Not sure what you got however the picture of yours looks like the one I have which is a 130 gal 14PSI electric fuel pump that I regulate down to 6PSI.   One thing about that pump is it is VERY VERY noisy.

Dave
Well i have progressed to where i have the pump wireing in Tried it and OK (i had to go back to the pump and put my hand on it to verify that it was running) Hardly any noise at all Also tried starter wireing cranked (without spark plugs) had 60 lb oil press on starter on mechanical gauge !! Also had spark & injectors spraying fuel,Tail light wires about all thats left till start up !!  Frank

DaveVA78Chieftain

Great to hear.  Exhaust system runs along same frame rail on mine which introduces heat.  I have mine mounted more outboard which is not as rigid as a frame rail so that may be resulting in the noise issue.

Dave
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

Serious snag all of a sudden Developed a short Wireing to ign swith started loosing smoke wile cranking Luckily starting batt is low (i dont want to charge it because i want to see output from alt when it starts) If its to low for starting after plugs installed Mom Will take care of it they are on the charger all the time I knew things were going too smoothly Frank $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sounds more like just a minor hick-up compared to all the stuff you have accomplished.  Dave
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

The bigest problem is I AM TIRED its been a long hard journey Being old is not compatable with a young mans work anymore  And any hicups are a real PITA !! But stiff upper lip and all that BS I will complete this or else !!But for right now (wile the sun is shining for the second day in a row) i have to solve my roof water leak that keeps wetting my rear cushion were i will sleep if i ever get back on the road Frank  :laugh: W% i?? :)rotflmao

ClydesdaleKevin

You're almost there, Frank.  Pretty soon you'll be back on the road with a quieter, better running engine, more power, better fuel economy, and a dry rear cushion...lol!

Can't wait for the first road test!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Well a little more progress All wireing completed Seems short was old ign switch ? All accessories wired in to Aux fuse panel and new switches installed in dash . Had to replace 1 defroster hose (old one fell apart) Had to buy 6 ft to get a 3 ft piece @ NAPA only ones who carry it. I will get back to dash A/C later its taking up too much time. Tomorrows plan is finish installing dash ,spark plugs & wires Then .......Start up  W% At least thats my plan.  N:(  Also diagnoised no AC operation  on refrigerator Found AC heater was shorted out  $60.00 part Spent the end of last season using propane only  Roof still leaking also  $@!#@! Frank 

Froggy1936

Also with 95 setup all dipsticks and fillers are upfront now I installed the 95 overflow resivouir also !Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

Nice!  With the dipsticks and fillers all upfront, you won't have to keep pulling the doghouse to check everything at each stop on your travels.  I sure wish the dipstick for our transmission fluid ran to the front!  Its a pain in the butt with 2 dogs and a cat to pull the doghouse every time we stop...nevermind the heat that pours into the rig when we remove the doghouse. 

Kev

Froggy1936

Kev I had solved that problem long ago. I cut a hole in the top of the dog house and made a cover out of 3/8 in thick plexiglass (painted w primer) Then made a clip to hold it down with a bolt that had to be loosened to remove it I could ck ATF easily or add fluid without removing dog house also it was enough of an opening to do limited visual inspection Would be great to check for percolating carb or seeing a leak . It was even enough room to set timing if necc !  ;)

ClydesdaleKevin

Great idea Frank!  Wouldn't work on ours though.  Its rounded and carpeted.  I supposed I could engineer some sort of hatchway, but it wouldn't look nearly as clean and nice as the one you set up.

Kev

Froggy1936

Houston We Have IGNITION !!  60 lb oil press cold 30 lb at idle hot . Took 4 hrs to install spark plugs and wires Had to remove L/S frt wheel to install L/S plugs, rear one has to be tightened with a open end wrentch on the end of plug socket as header wont allow extension into socket not enough room for a universal either. Also had to remove oil filter to get arm between headers and block . The 3rd plug on the R/S has to be tightened with a offset box wrentch from underneath . Torque on spark plugs Ha Ha Ha !!  I bought the most expensive platinum plugs hope i never have to replace them !! Installing the wires another PITA !! Still have to adj timeing install driveshaft & speedometer tie up loose wires etc . Install fiberglass frt end and bumper/ driving lights then state insp and road test !! Today is 1 mo past scheduled finish date !! Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

Froggy1936

Dash Done Ck. all gauges operational incl tach timing set , No leaks , Time to install Antifreeze . Driveshaft installed .Decided to install fiberglass frt end before road test (unfamiular with local lawmen ) And sticker is expired No need attracting attention ! See gauges engine is running!  Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

Awesome Frank!  I can't wait to read about the road test!

Kev

Froggy1936

Looks like me and wanta winni are going to road test about the same time All frt end assembled New carpet installed ! just have to put it on the ground adj the new 1995 square headlights and the new fog lamps get it inspected then make a local road test if all goes well a trip to Raystown will be next ! Frank  :D :D :D :D :D :D Will have to add pics after posting as its not allowing them with post AGAIN !!

Froggy1936

Cannot post pics Camera set at smallest size VGA 640x480 but that = 164 KB and max is 150 KB Will have to go to colledge to learn how to use other method someday !! Frank