Updating 3 speed auto TH400 to 4 speed w OD 1977 Mini

Started by Froggy1936, March 17, 2012, 09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDxeper

The Only thing I can recognize out of the whole works is the can of Coors.   i??   Y!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Froggy1936

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Thats most likely because they are now Mixed Nuts & Bolts cans  :)
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

Froggy1936

Well Trans. is allmost ready for transplant. Have to pull frt pump back out and install thicker shim end play out of spec by .006  But i need some advice on modifying the TBI intake manifold to fit my 1977 Cly heads Due to transmission electronic control unit (for determining gear applications) Needs info from engine speed / load (from TBI ign distributor) And temperature sensors / Manifold vacuume etc. So it has to be a TBI & Trans at the same time along with the wireing and speedo/ gauges/ steering column transplant. Plus i have some maintenence to do Replace L/R tail pipe ( i think i can use the one from the van) Another plus Stainless exaust parts. and modern hangers Also time to recoat roof. Cost of Trans so far $650.00  Frank

[smg id=4239]

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Well i was able to use the overthe axel part of the van tailpipe (the hardest part to manufacture) Had to repair muffler, outlet broke loose removing old tailpipe, Nothing is easy, but turned out well.   I dont know what i am going to use for a gearshift It looks like useing the van steering column wont work as the angle between the two vehicles is very different .Project is on hold till after August Trip planned and this entire wireing harness swap will take a wile Frank

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

TommyM

'75 Midas Class C (parted out, scrapped)
'85 27' Chieftain (crashed!)
'86 33' Chieftain (sold)
'94 37.5' Elante 37RQ
Durango, Colorado

Chris Reed

I haven't seen any recent posts and was wondering how the project was coming.
1984 Winnebago Chieftain 27RU, P32 Chassis, 454 with a Banks Power Pack, TH400

Froggy1936

Well the plan has changed Spent the winter overhauling the 95 engine im going to swap engine and trans as soon as the weather breaks !Purchased an engine stand & a crane The engine & trans are both ready for swap Will also have to change complete wireing harness and instument cluster Have already dropped fuel tank and and changed vent into a return line Have a new elec fuel pump with higher pressure 9-13 lbs needed for TBI Will have to make up some new air conditioning lines for rotary compressor 95 eng has serpintine belt Will see what driveshaft modifications are necc after units in place The 95 engine was in remarkable shape inside the most worn part were the camshaft bushings and the cam journals No wear on crank and main bearings looked like new The pistons measured stock and clys were in good shape ! Replaceing cam bearings is an experience without special tool( $185.00 for a 1 time thing ) New oil pump & water pump So now im just waiting will start on dash soon Can work inside with elec heat till sun returns . Frank

Froggy1936

A few more Made a timing mark tab for setting timing from the bottom as the top is very hard to see afterv installation  Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Crane works perfectly Transmission attached   Now to find convertor bolts ?

Froggy1936

Well Cold weather work, (with furnace running) Started on replaceing Dash wireing And modifying dash to house 1995 speedo cluster. Updateing all additional wireing that has been patched in over the years. Will have to splice in some 77 wireing as unable to use 95 steering column (too many differences) Wipers,ignition & heater, A/C Turn signals & dimmer + cruise will be original.  95 fuse panel is installed, Waiting for a 95 wireing book to arrive Ordered on E Bay  Frank

Froggy1936

Dont know what happened to these pics with ^^^ ? This is the 95 harness and fuse panel installed

Froggy1936

Hmm Seems it will only show 1 pic even with 3 added This is the 77 harness with dash removed
?

LJ-TJ

Froggy1936

Had to make brackets to hold 95 speedo cluster Bolted to original holes in dash & nuts held in place (for reinstalling gauges from frt after dash reinstalled) With old faithful JB WELD   1St design   Frank

ibdilbert01

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

LJ-TJ

Frank you got way to much time on your hands or should I say you had to much time on your hands. :)rotflmao

cncsparky

Wow, what a project!

For anyone considering a 4L80 swap in the future, I understand that early 90's GM diesels used a stand alone computer to run the OD tranny and can be easily used for a swap.  Another option is the Megasquirt tranny controller, more of a DIY project but much cheaper than the standalone aftermarket units.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/gpio-board-c-77.html?osCsid=dd3fa1c61394db7dbb4acf4b20d563c5

-Tom

Lefty

Engines, I'll tear them down & rebuild them all day long, some I can build probably blindfolded... Transmissions? Nope, no way. I wouldn't have a clue what to look for, nor how to put it back together. Although, it is a skill which I would have loved to have learned.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Froggy1936

Well a couple nice days and progress ! Most of underdash 95 harness installed & wipers headlights and ign starter hooked up (due to the 95 haveing a starter relay built into it ) Im haveing problems with hooking up 77 Ign switch I cannot find a correct wireing diagram for the 95 G30 Van with 4L80E control unit . So till i get engine harness installed cant diagnoise wireing connections Also Winnebago brought all the tail t/s stop back up  & starter wireing into the cab thru a hole in the floor I think im going to tap into the 95 harness under the hood or at the rear As i have complete 95 harness .

Froggy1936

I have had a problem for a long time that i could not find a cure for . During a rain i would find the pass side floor damp (driving or parked)  After removing the Radiator overflow bottle i found the rust holes under it Also on the other side i found where the squirell got in last winter and built his nest and chewed my speaker wires on the rear shelf . A hole in the bottom of the fresh air duct work . So ill have to do some body work wile site is open . Also have to move rear cross member back 3 in and if 95 driveshaft does not fit will have to have 77 shaft shortened 3 in Both frt motor mounts that i replaced in 2008 need replaced again . Rubber has broken loose from metal . I am also going to try to use 95 rad overflow bottle and aluminum radiator if they will fit . Frank     This sh-- aint as easy as it used to be !! Hm?