Powermax Boondocker Converter installation.

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, March 15, 2012, 10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

We have six 6 volt golf cart batteries in our battery bay.  Wet cell.  3 pairs are wired in series to create 3 12 volt banks, which are then wired in parallel to keep the voltage at 12 volts.  HUGE amount of amp hours...but Patti wants to run whatever the heck she wants to run, like the TV, vacuum cleaner, spot cleaner, etc., and I can't fault her for it.  She has agreed to follow me all around the country with my Peter Pan syndrome, so the least I can do is make sure she has all the comforts of a home base...thus I strive to make our system more and more efficient. ;)

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

khantroll

Hi Kevin! Mind if I ask what amp hour and brand/model your batteries are? Sorry to sorta birdwalk the conversation, but like TJ I am trying to see what the best configuration might be. I travel with people with medical equipment, and don't want to run the generator constantly.

ClydesdaleKevin

Interstate golf cart batteries.  Almost as good as Trojans and WAY cheaper.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

circleD

I've recently did a lot of research on golf cart batteries for my golf cart and found that the mid range priced ones are just as powerful as the Trojan brand. As long as you maintain them and watch the charging rate the boondocker will work great off of any brand.

eXodus

Just doing the same research,

Costco's Interstate  6V are about $78 around here, and I would get Trojans T-105 for $91 + $24 Core charge if they can not exchange against my old Deep cycle.
So without anything to exchange the Trojans are $38 more expensive per Unit. Simple Math for two Trojans you could get 3 Interstate.
But no idea if Costco want's anything in exchange.

Rickf1985

The core charge on the batteries is a federal EPA thing and pertains to all battery sales. For the most part they do not care what kind of battery they get back, as long as it is an automotive style battery. The EPA is trying to keep them out of landfills. I have a bunch of them sitting around but I have found that they sell for more at the scrap yard then I get for core charge. Some places will not sell you a battery without a core though.

acenjason

acenjason

Nice Winny;) To answer a question you keep asking ......  :D If you hook two six volts in series you get 12 volts. That means hook the frame to the negative terminal of the first bat. Next hook the positive terminal to the negative of the second bat. Next hook the positive to the wiring harness. 12 volts. Just don't hook up both positives together or you get 3 volts. Using this info you can hook up as many batteries as you want and still get 12 volts

Rickf1985

Two 6's in parallel will give 6 volts not three. No combination can cut the voltage below the lowest battery.

acenjason

That's not correct. Two 6s in series is 12. Two 6s in parallel will drop the voltage in half. That's why my stereo doesn't catch fire. Its a matter of resistance. That's why you can't just hook up a bunch of 12 volts in parallel. Its why you use 6s in the first place. To boost output while keeping 12 volts. Sorry sir but I respectfully disagree

pvoth1111

Quote from: acenjason on September 21, 2014, 02:53 AM
That's not correct. Two 6s in series is 12. Two 6s in parallel will drop the voltage in half. That's why my stereo doesn't catch fire. Its a matter of resistance. That's why you can't just hook up a bunch of 12 volts in parallel. Its why you use 6s in the first place. To boost output while keeping 12 volts. Sorry sir but I respectfully disagree

I coin a popular phrase on TV.....that's not how it works.....disagree all you want but yer rong

Voltage

In a parallel circuit the voltage is the same for all elements.
V = V_1 = V_2 = \ldots = V_n

Cells and batteries

A battery is a collection of electrochemical cells. If the cells are connected in series, the voltage of the battery will be the sum of the cell voltages. For example, a 12 volt car battery contains six 2-volt cells connected in series. Some vehicles, such as trucks, have two 12 volt batteries in series to feed the 24 volt system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_and_parallel_circuits
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sorry
Quote from: acenjason on September 21, 2014, 02:53 AM

Sorry you a 100% dead wrong.  Two 6VDC batteries in parallel only equal 6VDC.  The reason people connect batteries in parallel is to double the amount of amp-hours available.
I have four 12VDC batteries connected in parallel.  Still has a 12VDC output however, rather than 100AH of energy at 12VDC, I have 400AH of energy at 12VDC.

Dave
[move][/move]

acenjason

M & J

M & J