Braund Skyliner Antenna

Started by DaveVA78Chieftain, March 03, 2012, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

For the purist at heart you can still get replacement parts for the original  Braund Skyliner Antenna that came with our 70's era rigs.  Gear Assemblies, Handles, Base Plates, Gear Covers, some plastic pieces, travel cradle, and wall ampifies are still out there.

Replacement Gear set.

Restoring them is not had though you do have to be carfull with the do to the lightweight alluminum.  Corrosion and sand getting in the base plate was there biggest issues.  Like any RV antenna, periodic lubrication is required.  I used PB Blaster to free up the rotating base assembly, let it drain out then used Dry Silicon spray to lubricate.  Ad a 300 to 50 ohm outdoor transformer (Radio Shack) plus a 24 db amp from Walmart with 50 ohm coax and your good to go for at least 40 mile distance n VHF/UHF.   The idea you need a digital antenna is just slaesman hype.  You can get aluminum tubing a Lowes if you need some.

Manual
http://www.hhbraund.com/skyliner%20ant.pdf
Yes HH Braund still exists.

Parts
http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=91&sort=20a&page=2&zenid=f86b07d5db0a9bafe1264260d1d922ee

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=(braund%2Cskyliner)%20antenna&_rdc=1&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH

Dave
[move][/move]

Lefty

"The idea you need a digital antenna is just salesman hype."

Effective June 9th,2009 all analog transmissions of TV signals were stopped nation-wide with the exception of very low-watt stations granted temporary time extensions. What this means is, if you have an old tv, hooked up to an old antenna, you get a blank snowy screen.
The problem isn't with the antenna, as the old antennas still pick up the new digital signals being broadcast over VHF and UHF frequencies. The problem is with the tuner inside the TV. Thankfully, there are a few options. You can purchase and instal a digital convertor box (around $40) and hook it up to any analog tv between the antenna and the TV. Or, you can replace the tv with a newer one.

This is an article from Consumer Reports from Feb. 2008... It explains the different TV's well.

"Which TVs will still work with an over-the-air antenna?

A TV with a built-in digital tuner (called an ATSC tuner) will be able to get free over-the-air digital programming, with no action on your part. Your TV probably has a digital tuner if it falls into one of the following categories:

It's a big-screen, high-definition TV bought within the last few years. The government has required sets with screens 35 inches and larger to have a digital tuner since July 2005, and sets 25 inches and larger since March 2006. Those sets are sometimes called integrated HDTVs.

It's a new TV purchased this year. Since March of this year(2008), all new TVs regardless of size have been required to have a digital tuner. Most TVs bought within the last few months should be OK, whether they're high-definition sets or the new digital standard-definition TVs. (Retailers are allowed to sell off their existing inventory of analog TVs that do not have a digital tuner. They should be clearly marked as analog sets, but ask the salesperson to be sure.)

Which TVs will no longer work with an over-the-air antenna?

A TV that has only an analog tuner, called an NTSC tuner, will not be able to get free over-the-air digital programming. Your TV does not have a digital tuner if it is one of the following:

An older picture-tube TV that is not a high-definition set.

An HD-ready TV purchased several years ago.

A new type of set, called a monitor, that has no built-in tuner of any kind.

(If you're unsure as to whether or not your TV contains a digital tuner, consult the product manual or call the manufacturer's customer service line.)"
source: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/news-electronics-computers/pulling-the-plug-on-analog-tv-206/index.htm

As a side note, they do make and sell "Digital TV Antennas"... While these antenna do boost the UHF band, which most digital tv signals are in, they actually do worse than the older antennas on VHF reception, which carry the signals for channels 07-13.  So there is actually a benefit to preserving an older original antenna.

Lastly, there is actually a map available from the government that will tell you what digital TV channels you should be able to receive based upon location. http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/
Just input your zipcode, and then click on any of the stations that appear on the left to get a compass heading to point your antenna at it. I've used this when camping and it makes it very easy to aim your antenna the right direction to get the best reception. You will need a simple compass.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

HandyDan

That's a cool website.  I bookmarked it for the next time I go somewhere.  It takes a lot of the guesswork out of what stations to look for and in what direction to look.  Thanks. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

I usually just look at a map and figure out where the nearest major city is in relationship to where we are parked...and using my hand compass, just aim the antenna at that city.  Aiming it at Phoenix right now, we pick up stations from both Phoenix and Tuscon.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.