Weight distribution hitch install question

Started by JimVol, November 30, 2011, 02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimVol

Since I have a fairly heavy travel trailer being pulled by a half ton I have to have a weight distribution hitch and some sort of Sway control device.  I recently had to adjust my hitch to match my truck. 

I am asking if it would be beneficial to this group if I wrote up an article on how to properly set up a weight distribution hitch?   If so I would love to write it up.  I know that for whatever reasons people may end up with a travel trailer and a properly set up hitch is a very important safety issue. 

Let me know what you think.

Jim
It's kind of fun to do the impossible -  Walt Disney

DaveVA78Chieftain

Jim,
Information of that nature is always beneficial.  Some will have never heard of a distribution hitch and will need the introduction.  Personally, I know of them but have never used one so even I draw a blank for that subject.  So please do.

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

I'm in. Information's like power,you can never have enough. Absolutely. Write it up.  :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep!  Add to the collective knowledge here...someday we'll grow so powerful we'll take over the world!  Well...we'll just have more knowledge...hmmmmm...it would be cool to have Minions though...

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

JimVol

Thank you everyone for your interest in my little project.  My hitch is older and starting to show some signs of age.  So being faced with one of three choices, (Replace it for a pretty one, do nothing and just accept the look, or sand it and repaint it) I am going with option 3.

Before I get into the actual adjustment and set up of the weight distribution (WD)  hitch I wanted to write about what a weight distribution hitch is and how it helps tow vehicles (TV’s) handle the tongue weight. Which leads to an overall better towing experience,  towing with a properly set up weight distribution hitch is much more relaxing than towing without one and helps alleviate those “white-knuckle” towing experiences.

Purpose of a Weight Distribution Hitch

The basic purpose for a WD Hitch is to restore the front end load to near factory heights.  What this does is allow the TV to steer and handle much like it does in an unloaded configuration.  We have all seen the TV’s driving down the interstate “looking for squirrels” (headlights pointed up into the trees).  Now the point is NOT to bring the back end of the vehicle all the way back up to unloaded configuration, but to restore the front end to near stock configuration.

A properly adjusted WD hitch will transfer about 1/3 of the tongue weight through the vehicles frame to the front end of the TV, about 1/3 of the tongue weight will be transferred to the rear end of the TV , and about 1/3 of the tongue weight will be transferred back to the Travel Trailer (TT) frame to the TT axles.  In other words, the tongue weight is distributed throughout the entire vehicle. This transfer is accomplished through spring bars that pull up on the hitch head and transfers the weight between the two vehicles.   

Now for some scary math, without a weight distribution hitch the entire tongue weight, say 900 lbs is concentrated on the back of the truck pressing down on the ball and concentrating everything on the rear end.  If you have a class 5 hitch and a dually this may not be a problem, but for those of us who tow with a single rear wheel tow vehicle the result will be “looking for squirrels” and over loading the hitch with a 900 lb weight pushing straight down on the ball, shank and receiver hitch.  Without the WD hitch the rear tires will take on a load close to 1500-2000 pounds between the two.  About 900 lbs on the ball without a WD hitch puts about 450 extra lbs on each rear tire.  However, this extra weight causes the rear end to sag and causes the front tires to become unloaded.  The vehicle weight that forced the front end to factory height must go somewhere, so as the rear end sags weight that was carried by the front end is transferred to the rear.  NOT a good situation.  The extra 1000 lbs that should be on the front axle is now on the rear end.  That is how putting a 900 lb tongue straight onto a ball without a WD hitch can add 1500-2000 lbs on the rear tires combined or 750-1000 lbs per tire… again, not good. 

Now it is time for a little good math.  Take the same 900 lb tongue weight with a weight distribution hitch, properly adjusted.  300 lbs should be transferred to the front end of the TV, 300 lbs to the rear end of the TV, and 300 to the Trailer tires.  This adds only 150 lbs of weight to each tire of the tow vehicle and only 75 lbs of weight to the travel trailer tires.  The 900 lb tongue weight doesn’t magically disappear but the load is spread out across the entire frame of the TV and the TT, keeping everything within specifications and the laws of physics happy.

Weight Distribution Hitch Options

There are three basic types of weight distribution hitches. 

1)   Standard WD Hitch without sway control  (Trunnion or Round Bar)- ($250-$400)
2)   WD hitch with built in sway control- ($500-$1000)
3)   Premium WD Hitch- ($1500 â€" $2500)

My hitch is a Standard WD hitch without built in sway control.  It came with my TT purchase and I have dialed in the set up and added Friction Sway control.  I personally feel like it’s safe enough and I have great confidence in this equipment.  So this tutorial will have a standard WD hitch with add on dual friction sway control as the subject matter.  There are many brands of standard WD hitch.  Reese, Valley, Husky.. etc. and etc.

A WD Hitch with built in sway control in the price point of $500-1000 will consist primarily of three brands.  Reece with Dual Cam sway control, Equal-i-zer, and Blue Ox.  They all do a very good job, but as with any of these hitches set up is the key.

Premium hitches consist of three brands including the Hensley Arrow, Pro-Pride, and Pull-Rite. What these hitches do is make a standard travel trailer handled like a fifth wheel, the Hensley and the Pro-Pride project the pivot point to the rear axle.  The Pull right mounts underneath the vehicle and physically mounts the pivot point under the vehicle close to the rear axle.  All three of these vehicles remove the hitch and the ball from the equation and locks the coupler solid, eliminating sway.  If you would like more information on these three hitches there is a wealth of info on the web about them. 

Now that I have typed close to 1000 words with no pictures I will take a break.  Part two we will go over the parts of my WD hitch and sway control.  Then in future parts we will take the hitch completely apart, sand it and repaint it, put it back together and dial it back in for next towing season. 

I hope you found this post informative.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

JimVol

I know that I have not added to this post so I will try to bring it back to life. I have made some changes to my hitch and I added a new sway control system called Reese Dual Cam Sway Control. I will try to get pictures and details up very soon. Thanks!

Jim

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca