last minute winter outing preparation?

Started by polarman, February 04, 2012, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarman

So, the Mrs. wants me to get the '73 Brave ready for an over-nighter this evening.A good friend is having a little get together and we will be indulging in beverages, so bringing somewhere to sleep is a good idea. The winter has been very mild where I am in NY this year and the roads are clear of snow, so what the heck. I just put the charger on the batteries, and this afternoon I'll do a quick check of all of the fluids and tire pressure and see if she'll fire up. I figured I'll pull the engine cover and look things over and prime the carb so it wont need to crank over forever before it fires. My furnace does not work, so we'll bring along a couple of electric heaters so we don't freeze to death.(It's supposed to be @19 degrees overnight)
I was just wondering if there is anything else that I should be aware of for cold weather running. We are only going about 20 miles each way. If I cant get it ready in time to get there before dark then I will leave it at home. I can't work the high/low beam switch with shoes on. I've been meaning to glue an extension on the switch, but have not done it yet. The headlights are lacking anyway, so I just don't drive it in the dark.
And on a totally un-related note, I found an old Tonka Winnebago on craigslist today. It just happens to be in the same town that my brother lives in, so he agreed to pick it up for me for $30. My kids (4&5) think the Brave is the cat's meow, so I thing they will enjoy having one that they can play with!
Wish me luck, and let me know if you think I'm overlooking anything please.
Delhi Lodge #439 Free and Accepted Masons

brians69d24

Make sure defrosters work. Make sure wiper blades are in good shape. Check to see if critters have made a home in your air cleaner or around engine. Make sure smoke detector and CO batteries are good. Probably not a good idea to set the emergency brake - block well instead.

brian

ClydesdaleKevin

And if its going to get really cold, go dry...no water in the system.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tiinytina

Have totally done that! was a NYE party... packed Gone and pups up.. parked in Brother in laws driveway... so yes we were referred to as the "redneck relatives"... hee hee.. but partying then having your own bed to sleep in on site.... priceless!
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

polarman

Well, we made it back home. I had a problem with the shore power again, so I just ran an extension cord through the driver window to run a small electric heater. With the cab curtain closed, it was downright cozy in there.I think I have a bad breaker in the panel.I assume it will be easier to replace the panel than it will be to find a replacement breaker. On the way home, I thought the brakes felt a little grabby. When I got home I laid down some oak planks to level it up. When I went to move it the front left wheel would not turn. So, the rig is not level and I have some brake work to do. I sure hope I can adjust the brake to free it up or I'm going to have a bear of a time getting the drum off! Hey, at least it got me home !

brians69d24

On mine, which has a breaker panel from a 74, they are just plain old GE breakers.

polarman