Travel in Vintage MH

Started by Bakeman, January 29, 2012, 01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakeman

How far from home would you be comfortable travelling in your vintage motorhome? 

brians69d24

That's a good question! One I would like to know the answer to also. Do  "70-something" motorhome owners routinely travel long distances, take them around the country?

Judging by some of the articles I read in Motorhome magazine, I question that the "new and better" RVs are really that much more reliable.  I know the owners spend big $$ on repairs on their $50-200k rigs. I'm biased, I know. But everything is simple and inexpensive to repair on my '69!

brian

OldEdBrady

I've hauled the '76 Alfabago trailer 3,000 miles (round trip) several times.  Other than the trip when one of the wheels fell off, pulling her has never been a problem.  Even if she does seem to weigh 10 tons.

LJ-TJ

Well, LJ and I have had two 1975 Winnebago's that we've driven on 2,000 mile trips on a regular bases with regular ware out problems, brakes, tire, oil changes etc. Hm? One thing for sure is they require regular maintenance and you, YOU can fix it your self. Just ask anyone here. Think the guys in the big fancy rigs can do that. N.A.P.A is your friend. We have yet to brake down on the road limp into an N.A.P.A. that didn't get the great-us of service America has to offer. As you can tell Lauren and I swear by N.A.P.A.. Just do yourself a favour when it comes to repairing your rig. Fix if right the first time. Don't do just a get me by. Fix it right and then you never have to worry about fixing it again. Oh yeh! and get to a computor and get hold of us. We got folks all over the country willing to help.

ClydesdaleKevin

We are fulltimers, so home IS our vintage RV...but that said, we aren't afraid to go anywhere or any distance in our rig. 

We had a 72 Futura with a Dodge chassis and 413 engine...and we drove all over the country in it.

The we bought a larger vintage RV, a 77 Itasca, with a Chevy 454...and drove that all over the country for a few years.

Now we have a Holiday Rambler with a 454, and drive it all over the country as well.

You can fix our vintage RVs yourself...you can't even change a flat tire on the new big rigs!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

I have no fear of going anywhere. I have had my 77 Mini to Houston twice from Pa. and have put 25K mi on it since 2002  Planning on California next towing my 21 ft boat. via Florida.& lake Havasau Nevada  and returning on Rt 66   (see State Map )  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Bakeman

Awesome replies!  I purchased a 1990 motorhome with 75,000 miles at the end of the camping season last year.  Appears to be in great shape and I will be doing a full tune-up this spring.  Replaced the rad a few things last year.  Being that it is a 22 years old motorhome, but a solid 460efi, I am thinking how far should I be reasonably comfortable travelling.  Maintenance and the test of time appears to be the key in building confidence in the ride.

LJ-TJ

Bakeman

Pictures will be coming.  I have some on the camera still not downloaded.  Talk about lazy!  Anyway, I am super stoked to get the motorhome out of storage in spring.  Putting down new flooring and having the furniture re-upholstered.  Some big projects but well worth it in the long run.  I will definitely post some before and after pics. 

LJ-TJ

OK! Just remember the idea here is to have fun. Do one project at a time then go camping (local stock car track for an over nighter) then another project and then an airshow. Don't make the mistake that a lot of lads make and try to do to much to fast. Then you find out you've blown your wad and don't have a rig on the road to use. Next thing you don't work on it, the next thing you know you can't even give it away.
   First thing change your oil, check your wiring ( plug wires,coil wire, battery cables and connections) then take her out for the weekend. You'll learn a lot the first few weekends out. Then come home and take on a project.  :)clap

tiinytina

yup, baby steps with the projects... prioritize.. As TJ said do the basics FIRST... Check and change ALL fluids, belts, hoses, tune up, tire pressures look for wear while at that....then  Go... camping! As you use her you will figure out what you need to change, what can wait, and get great ideas along the way here and there.... Our baby step campground is within 40 miles of our house.

We've taken Gone our 1987 28' Tiffin with a 454 to Ohio every year since we bought her in 2006, to Wilmington North Carolina 3x... yes we had to be towed in the last mile last year (bad ignition control module and coil)... shoot happens... Make sure you have your Good Sam RV or AAA +RV card at all times...  you'll learn here what spare parts to have along for each ride....

but HAVE FUN!!!
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!