Poison Ivy Cure

Started by tiinytina, June 14, 2012, 08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiinytina

Tis the season for poison ivy... so I thought I'd post this wonderful cure (if you obiously didn't avoid touching it in the first place  :'( .....  Go swim in salt water....  and if you don't have ocean access.

1. Run the affected area under the hottest water you can stand for as long as you can stand
2. Sprinkle the area while still wet with salt (any kind of salt you have)
3. Rub/scratch for as long as you can stand it, it will sting a bit but feels wonderful to be able to scratch freely
4. Allow the salt to dry in place do not rinse off
5. Repeat this 2-3x a day
6. if really bad case once salt dries, use a cotton ball dipped into household bleach and dab it on. The bleach disassociates proteins and helps dry it out as well, which stops the spread.

Gf has been on prednisone for a week... this treatment halted it in 1 day....
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

jkilbert

Isn't the best cure to not get it at all. Remember.....leaflets 3 let it be..... If you do have a run in with that nasty little plant, wash the area thoroughly with COLD water and soap as soon as you can.  I like Fells Naptha, this usually stops any breakout. The cold water closes the pores in the skin to help decrease absorbtion of the irritating oils.

john
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

ClydesdaleKevin

Being 1/8th Cherokee, I'm fortunate enough not to be allergic to poison ivy, oak, or sumac, at all.  I can literally roll around in it and not catch it.  I used to weekwack our stone walls that were covered in it, get covered in the juice and particulates, take a shower, and my poor ex wife would still catch it from me... :)rotflmao

Got bit by brown recluses 3 times as well, with only a mild reaction at the bite.  Guess I lucked out!

My poor brother wasn't so lucky...we were at a scout campout once, and he forgot to bring TP with him to do his business, and reached for the nearest leaves...poor poor boy!   D:oH!

Mud is one of the best things I ever found for bee and wasp stings though.  Find some mud, put it on the sting like a poultice, and it draws the poison right out.  I heard wet tobacco will do the same thing.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DELTA912

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on June 15, 2012, 08:37 AM
Being 1/8th Cherokee, I'm fortunate enough not to be allergic to poison ivy, oak, or sumac, at all.  I can literally roll around in it and not catch it.  I used to weekwack our stone walls that were covered in it, get covered in the juice and particulates, take a shower, and my poor ex wife would still catch it from me... :)rotflmao

Got bit by brown recluses 3 times as well, with only a mild reaction at the bite.  Guess I lucked out!

My poor brother wasn't so lucky...we were at a scout campout once, and he forgot to bring TP with him to do his business, and reached for the nearest leaves...poor poor boy!   D:oH!

Mud is one of the best things I ever found for bee and wasp stings though.  Find some mud, put it on the sting like a poultice, and it draws the poison right out.  I heard wet tobacco will do the same thing.

Kev

sort of off topic... What else don't bother you? Iv found Pine dose for me,but the same you listed don't.
my brother is no where like me, grass,rag weed,ect cause him to ball up in tears and the whole 9 yards.
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

tiinytina

I'm part Algonquin and same non-reaction to poison ivy.. I have to literally have an open cut, then I get a few bumps around it....  touch primula though, brush by it.. and total rash....   My dad is not allergic to PI either, he used to be a fire fighter and they would send him in to brush fires first to pull down the poison ivy vines so the rest wouldn't breath the fumes (you can get it in your lungs ...)...

I've found that after I have pulled poison ivy seedlings out of my gardens I rub my hands etc with soil from the garden immediately.... just in case.  Then in to wash in lots of soap next chance. 

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!