Thinking of installing a CB radio

Started by LJ-TJ, June 06, 2012, 08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

CB's, taking a bit of a brake while I wait for the heads to come back from the machine shop and have been thinking of installing a CB in the Winnie. Are they relevant today,is anybody still using them, are they of any us in a motorhome anymore? Hm?

ClydesdaleKevin

Truckers use CBs all the time, and I like having one in the RV for sure!  I usually keep it off, as its distracting and annoying...but when we get stuck in stopped traffic as far as the eye can see, the truckers start chatting about it, and you at least know what the problem is and how long you'll be sitting there in traffic.  If you like talking to the truckers, they can be a funny bunch.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Hi TJ< I would not be without one (cell towers are not everywhere)  I keep mine squelched so only resonably close transmissions can be heard. This keeps the static and a lot of chatter off.  Mine also has weatherband wich will break into any channel selected with warnings of severe weather in the area of travel (you have to select local area ea day if traveling)  Also truckers will tell you if you start loseing parts or fluids or a tire is failing Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DonD

One in the coach and a hand held for Mary when she spots for me. Good entertainment while OTR if nothing else.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

LJ-TJ

Thanks Frank that's a real vote of confidence.  :laugh: You know what I mean.  :laugh:

ibdilbert01

I keep one in the RV too.  I also have one I toss on the seat of my work car.  Usually only turn it on in traffic to see if there is an accident or construction.  Sometimes they'll tell what lane to get into, or sometimes they'll know a different route.    Like Frank, I made sure I bought one for the RV with the weather channels.   
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

tiinytina

Been thinking about one for Gone.. this cinches it.. that and I need a tach, and actual temp guage... LOL... Now I need to think of a "handle"...   :laugh:   or is that 80's speak now?
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

Yep! JD Tinkerbell, Yep! that's defiantly it. :)rotflmao

73dodgeTitan

I have one in the Titan as well. I keep it squelched so I only hear close by chatter. It's handy and I use it every time i am in it.

ibdilbert01

:)rotflmao Tinkerbell  (Perfect!) 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DaveVA78Chieftain

I just cannot resist

Breaker Breaker Tina Bopper here   :)rotflmao

:laugh:

[move][/move]

Alaskan Itasca

Mine has one in it but I have no idea how to use. I think i need to rewire it since it works - sometimes. I am not sure the antenna wire actually goes to an antenna since the only one I see on the outside is connected to the stereo....  Hm? 

When it does run it hums all the time and I have no idea what channel it should be on. I like the idea of having it since here, cell phones don't work in many places out of the cities.
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E