lampCheck out the SIDE BAR ITEMS.    As you browse the forum, be sure to look at the side bar info blocks.  You'll be amazed at all the great things available!

Author Topic: computer operating systems  (Read 2834 times)

Offline 4winds

• Fulltiming and loving it!
  • I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1999
  • Make: Four Winds
  • Model: 5000
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: 454
computer operating systems
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:32 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place but here goes: Has anyone switched to the Linux system and does it work?  I have heard that it is easier than windows or mac.  Help, I hate windows and cannot afford a Mac.  Ed i??

Offline jkilbert

• Year: 1977
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: D26RT Brave
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 440-3
Re: computer operating systems
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:50 AM »
a friend if mine swears by Suse Linux. As far a a Mac goes, i bought an ibook G4 to play with for $70 on Craigslist then got lucky enough to get Mac OS X 10.5.8 which is the Leopard operating system for $40 at The Goodwill computer store. it is possible to get into a Mac on the cheap. I have seen Intel based Mac's as low as $300 on Craigslist. also there is alot of support for the power pc based Macs.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Offline tiinytina

• 14 year member
  • Year: 1987
  • Make: Tiffin
  • Model: Allegro 28
  • Chassis: Chevy P30
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:27 AM »
I have a few friends who swear by linux... and there are many support forums to get you up to speed on using it... I would like to switch myself just don't have time at the moment to jump on the learning curve.... been wanting to pick up a cheap lappy on craigslist or ebay so that I can install it and just have it to play/learn before I make the leap for total conversion.

tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Offline Oz

• "So let it be written; so let it be done!"
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:13 AM »
As a test, I wiped out an old HP computer (circa 2002) and installed Linux.  It was incredibly fast and YOU choose what YOU want to install on it 100%. 
Previously enjoyed our '74 - D24 Indian & '74 - D24 Indian Custom

Offline ClydesdaleKevin

• 14 year member
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Itasca
  • Model: Suncruiser 32RQ
  • Chassis: Oshkosh
  • Engine: Cummings Turbo Diesel
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:43 AM »
If you go for a linux based system, make sure you get a user friendly version like Lindows.  Redhat and some other versions require quite a bit of knowledge to set up and use.  Also, sometimes its hard to find drivers for your devices that work with Linux.  Especially laptops.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 98 Cherokee lifted beastie tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Offline ibdilbert01

• 13 year member
  • Creative Gadget Guru
  • Year: 1970
  • Model: Chieftain Deluxe, D27
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 413
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Where I work we have guys running Ubuntu and love it.  I should probably get on the band wagon and take the time to become more familiar with it, but time is never a friend of mine.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Offline Randy_in_Ohio

• Year: 1984
  • Model: Elandan
  • Chassis: Chevy
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Being an IT guy by trade I think I can offer some advise on this topic. A few years ago I would have never recommended a Linux OS for the average user but with the distributions that are available today, I recommend them to a lot of people. If you don't need to run any Windows specific program, and just want to surf the net and get email, go for it. I set my 85 year old grandma up with an Ubuntu system and she loves it. She can play solitair, look things up on google, and send emails to her friends, and I don't have to spend time every week removing the latest virus or malware program she inadvertently downloaded :-)  If you want to just try it out download Ubuntu and install it on an old drive and see if you like it. 

Offline OldEdBrady

• Doin' Nothin'
  • I own: a travel trailer
  • Year: 1976
  • Make: Alfa
  • Model: Class C 03
  • Chassis: 10 ton frame
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 09:30 PM »
The problem was related just above:  running any M/S devoted program.  there were too many things I rely on daily that won't run on any open source system.  There are individuals who overcome these problems, too many that find these solutions who will absolutely not share them for whatever reason.If you aren't some kind of programmer, you're just SOL.

Proud to be a:

Visit and take the Virtual Tour!

RVMH Hall of Fame
Lifetime Member

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoyingall the benefitsFull Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

RV Buying Checklist

Looking to buy a used RV?
Don't go unprepared!

Print this checklist so you
know the real condition of that "dream" RV:

RV Buyer's Checklist