'75 Winnebago Brave, new owner

Started by sdkid, January 02, 2012, 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdkid

Hey there. I'm Chris and I'm from Pierre, SD. We have needed a rig for the weekends at the racetrack and been using my mother in laws trailer. Was looking for a bumper pull but the other day at the farm and Fleet, I stopped at the bulletin board and saw an ad for this '75 Winnebago. Called and went right over for a look. I had not really considered a coach. Its run down inside and he said it would not start. Made a deal and ot my buddy to help me pull it. We spent a few minutes with it before the tow and decided it was not getting any gas. Decided to stop at the gas station and put some in, just in case. Before I got back from paying, he had it started. Drove it the remaining 8 miles home. Gonna check out the appliances today and see what I can do with the Onan generator. I think I got a pretty good deal on it. My boys are pretty excited about it, momma...not so much. Will be upgrading my membership soon and digging into the rv. I'll keep you all updated, and thank for looking

[smg id=4040]
1975 Winnebago Brave.

JDxeper

What a deal.  :)clap Welcome Lots of info here.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

WELCOME ABOARD with the rest of the crazies. :)clap D:oH!

tiinytina

Welcome Welcome!!! all the info you will ever need to work on fix etc in and out is here!

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Froggy1936

Hi and Welcome, Momma,s initial dissaproval is pretty common but i think she will change her opinion later Frank
W%
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

Welcome to the group!  Please let us know what model and length Winnie you have.  That would help us with any help we might offer.  You might be interested in this website in case you haven't already seen it. 

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/1975/index.php
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome to simply the best classic RV group on the web! 

Congrats on your new Winnie!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

Just hang in there one of the lads that know what their doing will take you through it step by step  i??

tiinytina

And LJ and I will tell you.. once you let the girl drive it... beware... cause you may not be allowed to touch the steering wheel again, and then you'll be buying her, her own set of tools... just sayin'  W% W% because it does become an addiction...  :)rotflmao

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

sdkid

Thanks Tina, will have to see that to believe it though.....LOL. Check out my album. I added pics of the interior, with genset pics to come. We have some great ideas for renovating this ole girl to suit our needs better. I pulled the front bunk down yesterday and bout killed myself trying to get it back up. Think it will go bye-bye. Thought of making the rear dinette a permanent bed with a twin upper bunk for the kids. Found a split copper pipe, maybe time to switch to pex.Need to get co, smoke and lp alarms too. The ideas keep multiplying in my head....
1975 Winnebago Brave.

LJ-TJ

sdkid

Hmmm.... I can't find it either when I search. If you go to the main gallery page and scroll down it shows up in latest albums.
1975 Winnebago Brave.

LJ-TJ

Got it!  :)ThmbUp That is one slick looking rig. Ya don't see to many of those around. I wouldn't be to quick to pull the front bunk. Just kind a tidy her up a bit and us her. Things kind a have a way of falling into place once you get her out on the road and you us her a few times on a weekend. I think your going to have a ball. I also think once you get her cleaned up a bit the Mrs's won't mind to much. We got all the information and help right here if'n ya need it. :)clap

jkilbert

very nice rig. you don't see many of the Brave II models out there. anyway, you'll get it the way you want in time. i've been working at my 77 brave for 4 yrs and just this past year got most of the mechanical and coach systems to where i want them. these old girls take time, effort and some cash, but when there done they sure are head turners. the mrs. will get to like it after a bit, but then again my wife still calls mine the "disco bus" because of the very 70's orange shag carpet in it.
john
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Oz

A shortcut to any member's album:  Click on their username in a post or in the Member List.  You'll see a tab that says, "Gallery".   Choose the drop-down option that says, "View Items".   Takes you right to all of the photos they posted in the album.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

Thanks Mark. Chris...got to think'n last night. One of the secrets to doing one of these rigs is there like a hot rod or classic car. If you jump right in and start stripping things everything out and get a million project going chances are you'll spend a lot of money, get nothing done, become disenchanted, put the project on the shelf, not complete it and end up selling it at a loss. Take one project get it running, take it out to a local park, camp out for the weekend, bring it home, do "A" project, take it camping and before you know it you will be done and you, the Mrs's and the kids will have been having a ball.  :)clap  :)rotflmao

HandyDan

Avocado Green toilet and sink.  Now that is a keeper!  I still have a few appliances around the house that color.  Nothing says 70's like avocado green.  Seriously, you have quite a bit of cosmetic work to do, but take it one step at a time and you'll have a useable coach.  Motorhomes of that era were not high tech and quite easy to repair, replace, repaint, or whatever.  Most of it is simple home maintenance work that can be done with household tools.  Good Luck with it. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Froggy1936

SD Tip  Write them down on a check list or you will forget some of them   Frank P.S. Scratching them off also give you an idea of progress ;)
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

After seeing the pictures and doing a little research, what you have is a very limited edition Winnebago Expo made especially for the Expo '74 World's Fair in Spokane, Washington.  In fact, it was the official motorhome of the World's Fair, whatever that meant.  I think they were only made in 1974, but campers are notorious for being built in one year but sold in the next.  So your motorhome and the Spokane Riverfront Park have a lot in common. 
This is a link to the brochure on it:  http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/1974/pdfs/74-Expo-bro.pdf
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

LJ-TJ

Oooops! Here's another tip. Take lots and lots of pictures of what ever your going to take apart. Trust me you won't remember what you took off and were it goes and it will be easier to go to the computer and look up the pictures to see how it was hooked up. Plus if you run into trouble you can post the picture and someone here for sure will be able to help you figure out what it is, what it does, were it goes to and how to fix it. Are we having fun yet? Hm?

sdkid

Thanks for the advice everyone.  Little projects sound like a good idea. Glad I became a member, I have found so much already. I will post as many pics as I can in the gallery as I go. Getting ready to post a couple questions in the forum now. Thanks again ya'll...

Guess I should ask. Am i getting my $300 worth from this ole boy? (Seems the kids named it Rusty)....
1975 Winnebago Brave.

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

Oz

QuoteAm i getting my $300 worth from this ole boy?

I believe that's determined by how much you use it and the memories you make... priceless.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

I think I found what you might like click on the first Brave. Surprise :)clap

http://www.gowinnebago.com/brochure_archive#y1975