16 inch coined, split rims replacement options?

Started by Wally, November 15, 2011, 01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally

Hey everyone,

I have been reading all the threads on this subject and I'm still uncertain about a donor truck. I have a 1972 Winnebago brave with 16 inch split rims, 8 lug, coined. The donor vehicle is a 1996 Ford 1 ton dually (passenger bus?) the rims are not coined. Can I use these? If not what would be a suitable option as far as getting away from the split rims and going to a modern tire/wheel combo at a reasonable price?

Thanks,
Wally    :angel:

LJ-TJ

You can use the none coned rims but you have to make sure you get them on right. However there are 16" coned rims out there there just hard to find at about $75.00 each if you can find them. If you hunt I know folks have gotten them a lot cheaper but that's just intended as a bench mark price.

Wally

Hi LJ-TJ,

If I were to use the non coned/coined wheels, can I use my original lug nuts? What is the right way to put them on?

Thanks for your help,
Wally

LJ-TJ

Well all I can tell you is that I had 16" Ford rims on my 1975 21'er with the coned nuts and didn't have any problem with them. When I say put them on right what I mean is when you tighten them up,  to torque them to the proper speck. I believe it's the coned nuts 5/8-18 are between 175 and 225 foot lbs and the flanged nuts are 5/8-18 are 300 to 350 foot lbs. I'm sure the lads will correct me if I'm wrong.  Hm?

Wally

RedneckExpress

Look around for the rims off a late 80s/early 90s Dodge Pickup, they are coined and non-split rim.   I found a set for myself to use on my dually conversion, works great with the 79' Spicer 70 axle I used, though they do come back over the backing plate about 3/4-1" further than the older coined 16.5 non-split rims did.
Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://

brians1969

I replaced my split rims with ones off a Ford truck.  I think the only difference is that the center hole is a little bigger.  From what I understand, the wheels off of a Chevy won't work because the center hole is a little smaller.
brian

RedneckExpress

Ford Rims, as I discovered, are also deeper offsets than Dodge rims, which means if there's tight clearances in your wheel wells, you may end up rubbing.

Moondowg

I Purchased 7 Non Split Rims from South West Wheel in Texas, I think they were around 90.00 each, brand new.

polarman

Just out of curiousity, what is the problem with the original rims?I have a set of tires I want to swap onto the rear of my '73 Brave. Is there anything I should be aware of?
Delhi Lodge #439 Free and Accepted Masons

brians1969

Well, if you have split rims, you may have a problem getting a tire shop to work on them. If they do, they may charge extra.

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

RedneckExpress

16.5" Rims are very old and the tire sizes are becoming harder and harder to find.   Throw in the fact that they are split rims and that most shops will not even mount a tire on a split rim, and you get the need for new rims.

chicknnhead

I replaced my 16.5 coined wheels with 16 in coined wheels. no need to change lugs that way. they came off 83-92 dodge 1 ton dually. there is a message board for these trucks and guys part them out all the time. i got 7 wheels for $250 which is little more then $35 each
1stgen.org is the website.
i spent a few months researching and talking with folks. i think i even have a thread on here with pics
just posting my experience
Mick

RedneckExpress

Thanks for the website chicknnhead, I didn't now about that one, gonna have to go take a look :).

Froggy1936

Wile this topic is up i got a request for opinions. i currently have 8.75 R 16 .5 LT tires (7)  that need replaced  (wheels are 8 lug) Due to getting harder to find im thinking of changeing size My Question is wether to go up to 17 in or down to 16 in   and does anyone know what veh were equiped with either  8 lug wheels 16 or 17 in ? the 17s would increase MPG along with loss of power .Frank

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

Hey Frank for what it's worth and you know me I don't know if my bum is punched,bored or suck'n wind. I've got 17.5's on my 1975 and am going to change them out to 16's. There a little less expensive and if ya have one go south on you, you can get another any were. Eight bolt 16" ford rims will fit but there not coned. I would like to find out if new dodge duallys would fit and if there coned. I'm not sure I think one of the other fellows could tell us but I think if you have front disc's there a tight fit but still work.

JDxeper

Frank, I went to 16's on the old 68 Ford chassis, my understanding is the Chev(GM) has a smaller hub hole than dodge or ford but the same bolt pattern.  So you probably could use any Ford, Dodge or Chevy, wheels from about 80 to 92, all would have a 8 lug 6.5 inch coned bolt pattern but with different hub hole size.   I think all of these rims are lug centric versus hub centric.  TJ is correct on availability of tires out in the boonies, I went with 235/85/16's , can't remember the load range  E.  The 235's were very close to height, width to the original tires so the revs per mile was close and no speedo changes needed.  The tires were about $100 each mounted and balanced. Now I have a pile of 16.5 in rims for sale! :laugh:
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

polarman

I have access to a tire machine and balancer, so I plan on changing the tires myself. My Winnebago has some antique bias ply tires and I have a set of 16" radials at home that are in great shape. Is there any reason that I cant throw new valve stems in and mount these radials on my rims. Yes, they are load range "E", so they should handle the load.
Delhi Lodge #439 Free and Accepted Masons

Froggy1936

Should be no problem. I reccomend useing metal valve stems to avoid problems with leaks at base of stem  Dont forget to get them Balanced. I mounted my last set of 6 by hand (broke the bead driving on them with my jeep) Now that was a lot of work.  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

bob s

ford dodge chevy 8 lug pattern are the same the center hole is the difference gm used smaller hub and bearings than ford or dodge ford and doge interchange and fit gm but gm wont fit ive seen where gm centers have cut out to fit but in long run they weaken the metal causing cracking and balancing issues i work with local wrecking yard due to 16.5 being double the price of 16 we cant keep any on hand weather its duels or single wheel easy 100.00 rim bigger yards are getting 150.00 but after few sets of tires will be cheaper than the 16.5

bob s

one other note semi heavy duty truck tire shops at least here still change tires on split rims found one place here that will do a set of widow makers on my 46

ibdilbert01

I'm surprised 16.5 tires cost so much these days, 3 summers ago I bought 7, 16.5s, mounted and balanced for 900 bucks.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

LJ-TJ

Hey Bob It's not so much that you can't find someone in the area to change them. It's when your out on the road in a strange town or village and you blow a split rim, finding someone who can or is willing to change it. If you have a standard 16" you can get it changed any were. Even roll it down the highway to the nearest garage were they will probably have a spare and can change it out.