Wipers stopped working

Started by Dolores, March 24, 2018, 11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolores

Wipers worked ok.  Whenever I switched ignition/engine on...the wipers would come on for a short while. I thought this was how Winnebagos worked.   Left them working last time I used RV. Today they don't come on at all, took out and cleaned Fuse, no luck. I have just read in an old posting on here that sometimes the spindle in an arm can seize up. There is a slight 'jerk' when I switch them on, but no sweep of the screen. Everything else works. And ideas?????

Rickf1985

They should not come on any time you turn on the vehicle unless the wiper switch is turned on. If the switch was turned off and they were doing that then there is a wiring issue. What you have now sounds like a stripped spindle or burned up motor switching assembly. You need to look at the arms under the hood as someone turns it on and see what moves and what does not. Most wiper arms have a small hole right at the base of the arm that you can put a drill bit or similar through to hold the wiper off of the windshield for changing the blade and arm. Some even have a pivoting lever that swings in and jams the arm out. You have to hold the arm out first and then insert the pin or lever. Do this before turning them on and see if they will work with no resistance.