1973 d20 towing (318)

Started by abernard161, September 15, 2011, 01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abernard161

i have a 1973 brave d20 with the 318 does anyone know whats safe to tow with this?

RedneckExpress

Small 4x8 cargo trailer, not too much else, yer running the smaller of the Dodge V8 engines, the 5.2L vs 5.9L.   A quick way to confirm is to look up the GVWR rating and CVGVWR Ratings off yer door jam (If possible) and then weigh your rig with all your stuff in it. 

Subtract GVW from the CVGVWR rating and thats' what you've got left for towing weight. 
Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://

DaveVA78Chieftain

About the only value you are going to find for 70's era Dodge MH is Max GVW which for his chassis is 11,000lbs.   With the 318, I would not pull a very lare trailer.  The original rating sticker will either be in a closet or back wall of a cabinet if it is still there.

Dave
[move][/move]

OldEdBrady

As an alternative...
With the '76 Whiny Beggar, the rating was on a plate on the wall next to the driver's seat.  (Were they trying to confuse people back then?)

polarman

I can't remember if I saw it on a tag or in the manual, but as I recall my 73 D-20 w/ the 318 should not haul more than 660lbs between the roof and hitch combined. I wouldn't pull more than my small trailer with an ATV or snowmobile on it. And I have not even tried that yet, it seems plenty slow enough without pulling a trailer.
I think it may have weight capacities on a tag in the trunk above the fresh water tank. If I have the time, I'll take a look and get back to you this evening.
Never trust my memory!
Delhi Lodge #439 Free and Accepted Masons