Removal of front dust caps on a 70 Dodge M300 chassis

Started by henryblair, September 12, 2011, 07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henryblair

These caps are an octagonal 2 1/4" nut pattern to be used for removal.  Since they are sunk into the 'hat' of the drum hub, it is impossible to get a wrench down on them.  I have only found one source for the 3/4" x 2 1/4" octagon nut pattern socket, $125.  Has anyone else found another solution for removing the dust caps when replacing brake shoes on a front end?
Henry Blair
Bethune, SC, Garage in Cassatt, SC
2 1973 Superior 2500 Motor Homes (1-Office, 1-RV)
1 1974 Travco 270 2+2 Mahal
1 1971 Travco 220

Experience with Dodge Chassis

DaveVA78Chieftain

You need to look locate OTC tool number 1920 Truck Wheel Bearing Locknut Socket - 2-1/4" (6 pt.).  It is light duty and used with a 1/2" rachet.  You do not need high tourque for this application.  Typically carried at larger auto supplies that are also geared to support the truck industry.  Runs about $20-$35 depending on where you get it.

Dave

[move][/move]

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

RedneckExpress

If these are the rear hub's, don't forget to bend back the tabs on the lock washer before attempting to remove the inner nuts on the axle. 

Axle nut sockets can be found for around $12-15 apiece in that fashion from O'Riley, Autozone, and most autoparts stores. 
Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://

DaveVA78Chieftain

Redneck,
Places like Autozone typically only have the smaller metric axle sockets cars and pickups.  You have to go to someone who provides the heavy duty truck stuff for axle sockets this big.

Dave
[move][/move]

RedneckExpress

I found the 2 3/8, 2 1/2, and 2 3/4" 6 Point sockets, like the one in your picture, over at O'Riley's for around $15, each. I used the 2 1/2" for removing the axle nuts on my old Dana 60 axle which I removed from the rear of my pickup and the 1979 Spicer 70 rear end that I transplanted in which came off of a MB300 chassis. While I was in there, I'd also seen the six point sockets as well, and the specialty sockets for removing the odd lock nut system used in the D44 front ends used in the later model gas W250 Dodge Power Wagons. 

They can order in the 6 point 2 1/4" for $29.99, made by KD Tools to the store. 

Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://

DaveVA78Chieftain

Good to know O'Riley's carries them.  I just know Autozone and Advance Auto do not keep them in stock.  As far as regular 3/4" drive sockets, Sears and places like Tractor Supply Company (TSC) carry them at reasonable prices.  At larger well established Flea markets it is not uncommon to find a tool dealer that carries 3/4" drive sets and piece parts.  My 3/4" drive set is from one of those.  The rachet was of poor quality but the rest of it has meet my needs.

Dave
[move][/move]

JDxeper

Also god ole Harbor Freight has 3/4 inch socket sets.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Dodgy71

For what it is worth, Henry Blair, the original poster, was correct. The dust cap on my 71 M375 is a 2 1/4" OCTAGON, so the OTC-1920 is not the correct tool (just received mine and made the realization that the dust cap is not a HEX :( . Should have read the original post more carefully). Anyhow, the closest OTC tool I can find is a 1903 which is a 2 3/8" octagon. Does anyone know if this tool (1903) will work, given that it is 1/8" larger than it should be?  Alternatively, can anyone say what tool they actually used? I have heard channel-locks work since the dust cap is not usually too  tight, but fitting them in the recess of the hub seems a bit challenging.

hawkaleuge

I bought the closest larger socket 2 3/8 -8 point and built an insert out of aluminum angle 1/16 " thick by notching one leg.  it's a trick to put it on the dust cover - start the insert on and then put the socket over the insert and tap it on.  The more times I use it the easier it get as it forms/wears to fit.
Ed L.

legomybago

If you remove the front wheel, it helps with tool position angularity! (My fancy word of the day). In other words, you might be able to get a pair of channel locks on it or something. I have used a large chisel, with light hammer taps, to remove that style dust cover in the past. If you marr the cap a little with the chisel, clean it up with a file. When your finished, and the wheel and hub look brand new from the all the shiny paint you put on it, no one will ever know you "didn't" buy the 100 dollar socket.... i??
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rex

Dodgy71

Thank you all for your answers to my recent post! I was able to remove the cap on  the left hub with Channel-locks as described by Legomybago.
Hawkaleuge: Thank you for your advice on how to adapt the 2 3/8" socket. May need to use this next time.
Sleeth: Which socket did you buy? Manufacturer and part number if possible.

Ronlynn

I have a 69, m-375 chassis.
Is the 8 point 2-1/4" × 3/4" drive the correct socket for the M-375 dust caps? Its a 5 lug wheel. Measures 2-1/4" with a measuring  tape.  And where can you buy them? I looked everywhere online, couldn't find one.....And the 8 point 2-3/8" is not the right size. Way to big. So the original post here is correct.

Surfinhurf

I have a piece of square tubing about 6 inches long with a hole thru the sides of one end. I don't remember the size of the tubing, maybe 2 1/4"  The nut has opposing faces, measure that distance and purchase a 6-8 inch piece of square tubing with the same or slightly larger I.D..  Drill a thru-hole about 1 inch in from one end, so you can get a rod thru it to turn the tube/nut off.  They should come off easily.

HURF

Ronlynn

Thanks hurt
Square stock is a great idea. Going to try that. Once I find a square stock at 2-1/4".

Rickf1985

If you cannot find 2 1/4 get 2 1/2 and weld in a 1/8" shim on two sides 90 degrees apart, that will give you the 2 1/4". Or just run a bead on each side and try it after each pass until you have a good fit. You do not need to put a ton of torque on this.