Adding-Installing GPS?

Started by LJ-TJ, June 22, 2012, 11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Dilbert how hard would it be to retro fit a Ford Edge GPS, to a 1975 Winnebago?

ibdilbert01

Assuming the unit is self contained, meaning it doesn't rely on the cars computer or any other electronics specific to a Ford Edge, it might be pretty easy to do.   I'll do some research and get back with you.   I like it!   What a cool idea!!!!

Picture of back....
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Alaskan Itasca

You would need all the plugs that go into the back, and some kind of diagram so you know what wire does what so you would know where to run the wires for speakers,power etc...assuming it is self contained. You probably need the gps antenna as well. I don't know if those are special or just wired into the regular radio antenae.

I wired aregular stereo in with bluetoth in my 78 and it wasnt too hard once i figured out all the wrong wiring people had done over the years....

Something else to think about is mounting it. Double din didn't exist in the 70s the standard radio was about an in narrower and a tad shorter than a single din so in my dash it had steel plates riveted in above and below and across where the ood fashioned knobs for volmue and tuning were. I had to drillout some rivets and remove the plates and then dremel a larger hole in plastic front to mount the stereo. With a double din you could have a much larger dash modification to do to make it fit.
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E

cosmic

In my rig i can't get a signal on the gps. i think because of the aluminum roof. In a car it seams the signal is read through the window. Now with the rig it cant read through the window because its flat.
I dont know if this makes sense or if anyone else has had a problem getting a signal or is it just me. this same garmin works to perfection in all my other vehicles. so I believe its the roof like i said earlier.

as far as that unit it should hook up with 2 wires for positive and ground tap into something in the dash.

DaveVA78Chieftain

I have used a laptop setup (MS Streets) with a seperate GPS antenna set on the dash next to the window and it worked fine.   It would depend on if the antenna can see the satalites without the metal skin to see through.

Dave
[move][/move]

tomr

Many of these "newer" stereos are of the "double din" size, and can probably be made to fit into the large hole in the '75 Brave's dash. Ebay is full of nice units that have a backup camera as well as an external GPS antenna that can be mounted outside on the roof.
Example: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HD-3D-PIP-7-Touch-Screen-Double-Din-In-dash-Car-DVD-Player-GPS-Navigation-CAMERA-/251100488492?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item3a76c1632c
Scroll to the bottom to see the cables, antenna, etc...

Tom