lampCheck out the SIDE BAR ITEMS.    As you browse the forum, be sure to look at the side bar info blocks.  You'll be amazed at all the great things available!

Author Topic: Laptop Computer Recommendations  (Read 8576 times)

Offline Oz

• "So let it be written; so let it be done!"
  • I own: a Motor Home
Laptop Computer Recommendations
« on: August 01, 2011, 07:11 PM »
Since I'll be going mobile at some point in the not too distant future, I'm looking at getting a laptop.  But, I don't want to get something that's overpriced and overpowered for my needs.  I'm not too skippy on Dell as I've just heard too many people saying they're not very good quality and don't have a good lifespan.  On the other hand, I've had HP desktops and only upgraded due to age of the machines and not from breakdown.  I haven't had one break down yet and my second one, I had for 8 years!  It'll be for basic web browsing and running CWVRV.  I understand that a lot of memory can be stored on little, plug-in cards and I do want to keep things I readily need on it such as site photos, the e-manuals, etc.  I'm expecting I'll be running on WiFi rather than cable so I don't know what to expect as far as speed vs. the high speed cable I've enjoyed over the years. 

I'm eager to hear your recommendations!
Previously enjoyed our '74 - D24 Indian & '74 - D24 Indian Custom

Offline OldEdBrady

• Doin' Nothin'
  • I own: a travel trailer
  • Year: 1976
  • Make: Alfa
  • Model: Class C 03
  • Chassis: 10 ton frame
Re: Laptop Computer Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Don't buy just because the brand is OK and it's cheap.  You have to remember that all comapnies have several models, and the cheaper ones usually aren't much help for anything other than email, surfing, and chatting (sometimes).

For OS, I would recommend Micro$oft x64 with Windows 7 Home Premium., or a Mac, though those latter ones can be VERY expensive.

To get 7 with the "business" stuff may give you lots more you can do, but, for most people, lthose are things they never use anyway.

But DO NOT get 7 Home Basic.  That one was released ONLY because Micro$oft wanted to be able to say they had a $100 OS.  (And they admitted it in a news story quite some time back.)

For the x64 processor, there aren't scads of programs available yet, but they are becoming more numerous as time goes on.  there are currently enough that it's worth the cost.

Memory.  For 7, you should have AT LEAST 1 gig, and that's cutting it close.  I'd recommend 2 gigs for most people, and some should have 4, so you need to know whether the computer can handle that much memory.  Some can't.

For files, you should have a peripheral hard drive.  1 TB drives can be had for $100.  that's an awful lot of storage and more than many people need.  But, for the price, it's good to have the room in case you need it.  the Western Digital "My Book Essentials" is a good one, but DO NOT install their CD-ROM that comes with it.  Just use it as a backup/main storage for files.  Best part?  It connects through a USB port, so it can be attached to almost any modern computer.  So if you need to use another computer for some reason, you can attach it, and you're good to go.

Just a few things.  And, I'm sure, you'll get a bunch more information from others.

Offline Oz

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:21 PM »
There's an important point I've always had a problem with.  All those extra programs I don't want or need installed with access protection.  All those darned processes constantly running in the background... with my old machine and XP there were like 70 some.  On the new one... ninety some.  Really?  Do I need the processor beign bogged down with all those?  At least with this one, it's equipped with a program to select what programs to run at start-up but, it's still a LOT more than I'll ever use.  I don't do computer games so graphix power isn't a need.  It's memory and processing speed since I almost always have 4 or more windows open at the same time, often using 2 internet sites and one or two integrated programs at the same time in order to get a job done.

I really liked taking my old machine and putting ubuntu on it.  It took some getting used to but, I could pick and choose every program I wanted... all free.  Of course, there's that compatibility issue when trying to work with MS based program work and other program material designed to be used with MS.

I wouldn't have any problem with Windows 7 if I could just not have to have all the bloody "bells and whistles" programs I don't need.

I also fully understand that cheaper models made by major manufacturers are made with inferior parts and features.  This is where Wal-Mart is a major player in marketing a lot of them, especially the "Black Friday" electronics.

Offline OldEdBrady

• Doin' Nothin'
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:02 PM »
This might help get rid of all the junk.  Don't know how successful it is, but I have used it in the past.  (I now just dump it all manually.  Wish I had remembered this.)

http://download.cnet.com/SlimCleaner/3000-18512_4-75279939.html?tag=lst--3

Offline Oz

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:43 PM »
It looks like the Compaq laptops are equipped with the same features, components as their mother company HPs but cost less?

Something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-HP-CQ62-423NR-Laptop-2-2GHZ-3GB-320GB-WiFi-DVD-Win7-/250863555714?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3a68a21482

Offline DaveVA78Chieftain

• 16 year member
  • Year: 1978
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Dodge M400
  • Engine: 440-3
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:02 PM »
Make sure it's one of the large screen models so you can see more than one window easily.  Get as much memory as you can.  R/W DVD and R/W CD-ROM.  The large external drive would also be used for backups.  You may even want to consider a 2nd monitor.  I have found it comes in real handy at work.  Also I have discovered a cooling fan under the laptop is a well worth it.  Seems the one inside just is not big enough.  I have a 2nd hand Dell D610 (14" screen) that must be nearly 8 or so years old (EBAY).  Small but has worked well so far.

Dave

Offline OldEdBrady

• Doin' Nothin'
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 06:46 AM »
The ad shows that the one you mentioned, Mark, is a single core.  I'd looked for the x64 instead of the x32.  That's the way things are going now.

Offline Oz

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 08:42 AM »
Good points indeed!  If anyone happens to see a laptop to recommend, tum me on to it!

Offline jkilbert

• Year: 1977
  • Model: D26RT Brave
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 440-3
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 06:40 AM »
i agree with you about the dell's i have 2 of them and iv'e had to replace harddrives and dvd drives due to failure. the one that i like is the one my job supplies me with, a panasonic toughbook. being a homecare nurse and carrying it around, it holds up very well to bumps and bangs.....and its not even the armored heavy duty version.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Offline OldEdBrady

• Doin' Nothin'
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 04:06 PM »
HP has a laptop (pavilion) that has 4 gigs of memory. 500gig drive, 15 1/2" screen.  List price is $600, but I've seen it advertised for as little at $450.  that on has a core i3-370M processor.

They have one slightly more (also a Pavilion) with 6 gigs of memory, a 750 gig drive, same screen, and i5-2410M processor.  That one lists at $800, but I've seen it for $650.

The biggest difference between the two, other than the above specs, is the battery life.  The first is rated at about 5 1/4 hours, and the second at about 6 1/2 hours.

Offline Slantsixness

• Go Classic Winnebagos!
  • I own: I don't own one but I'm a vintage RV enthusiast!
  • Year: ANY
  • Model: WAS a 1972 D20 RG Brave. I still miss her.
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: Any Dodge Chassis
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Sob,
I have two recommendations, even if I'm late to the game:

First: Buy nothing less than an i3 processor (i3,i5, i7) on any laptop.
Dell's SUCK. I have 2 at work, and they are constantly failing. One is old, one is brand new. The new one performs worse than the 3 year old one... go figure!

Brands:
I've had 4 different HP laptops, over 9 years, and have NEVER had any major problems with any of them, even the one I repaired with the disasterous NVIDIA chipset has never died again since (Anna uses it now, so it's even kid-proof..lol!)

Problem with HP Laptops though: Ergonomically and asthetically, the new models look cheap and , unless you're buying the OMG high priced ones.

So: My latest Laptop is an i7 processor SAMSUNG, which has been just as if not more awesome. (720g drive, 6g of ram, BluRay cd/DVD/R/W/RW, bluetooth, webcam, it's totally packed with stuff I don't even use...) (it did cost almost $700, on a good sale, MSRP was $1199)

lets see... Ed covered the useless Win7 home basic OS (don't get it) Win 7 Home Premiuim is ok enough for my use. (although my laptop boots either Linux or Windows 7, depending on how I feel on a particular day...)

Lastly... those pesky Antivirus programs,cleaners,adware, tune up and spyware programs.... Trash them all.  Go to Microsoft (yeah, sorry I'm promoting a Microsuck product) and get Windows Security Essentials.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx

Just my opinion... D:oH!
It's all you'll ever need. Seriously. and it WORKS, and it's FREE!!!
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Offline Froggy1936

• 15 year member
  • Model: Minnie Winnie
  • Chassis: Chevy G30
  • Engine: 5.7 1995
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 06:35 PM »
Another option is refurbished  I bought a rebuilt IBM Lenovo Notebook back in 2008  Came with a warranty (had to send it back because touchpad was not working) They paid shipping both ways  I needed this second laptop to use as a GPS in the Winnie t has worked flawlessly Also use it for on line when near a free Wi Fi the price was $250.00 with a free 1yr security program Avast have renewed with them Cheap Just another option I dont remember the Co Name at this time but they send occasional e mails ill forward the next one  Frank
The Journey is the REWARD !

Offline tiinytina

• 14 year member
  • Year: 1987
  • Make: Tiffin
  • Model: Allegro 28
  • Chassis: Chevy P30
  • Engine: 454
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Both my home lappys have been Toshiba Satellite series... Current is an A505, Pat has same one slightly different features.  My old Satellite (which the AH crashed) is still in service and being used by Tammy (once I put in a new hard drive), its a satellite A15.  I had one single issue with my old machine and had to put in a new CD drive.  The only reason I got my newer machine 3 years or so ago was to upgrade to win7 and triple the RAM for the graphics I do.  Also wanted the 17" screen, yes mine is huge and heavy but.. use it as home system and take it on travel, great to watch movies on in the back of the RV as well...

I hate Dells, have them at work, bad mother boards are common.  pat's Gateway was a POS.   

toshiba satellite series are one of the the highest rated ones by PC magazine CDnet etc.

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Offline Froggy1936

• 15 year member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 10:06 AM »
The outfit i delt with was Blair Technology Group and i will use them again Frank

Offline Arberg0

• Make: Fleetwood
  • Model: Bounder
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: Chevy
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46 PM »
Hi  Frank

yup Blair is a great online store to deal with and has never let me down have delt with them off and on for a number of years and there quality is very good when i need a full setup or a laptop at a good price for a customer i always look at there site and most of the time shipping is free as well as they will add bigger drives and extra ram if you need it price is on the site and if you do have a problem they give a fast turnaround to fix it great company to deal with     http://blairtg.com/store2/
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson

Offline Oz

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Excellent suggestions!  I Tina's relied on the Toshibas, which have always made top-of-the-line electronics.  However, you do have to pay a premium price for it and they're definitely out of my budget.   :(

But, this Blair store I'm definitely going to check into.  I'm pretty biased to HPs and, from what I've heard here, I do think I'll stick with that.  Do you call the Blair store and talk with a Tech Rep to buy and/or help you select/tweak a computer to buy?

Thanks!

Offline tiinytina

• 14 year member
  • Make: Tiffin
  • Model: Allegro 28
  • Chassis: Chevy P30
  • Engine: 454
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 06:09 PM »
I love HP printers but not heard good things for the HP lappies and even though I do love HP printers the customer support from HP sucks via phone, had better luck on the HP forums..

... my online store of choice is mwave.
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/index.asp?   

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Offline Froggy1936

• 15 year member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Hi Mark  The link at Arbeg0 comment will take you to a page with some of there computors (HP Inc) along with a contact us link with a phone no or an e mail comment   along with prices   Frank

Offline ClydesdaleKevin

• 14 year member
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Itasca
  • Model: Suncruiser 32RQ
  • Chassis: Oshkosh
  • Engine: Cummings Turbo Diesel
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 07:59 AM »
I'm going to recommend Acer.  Seriously.  They are a good machine, and we've had 2 in the past, destroyed by the cat...and we currently have two.  Patti has the little Acer notebook, and the main puter is an Acer Aspire 7741Z-5731.  Patti's Acer is a little rocketship...it was set up for Windows 7, so it has uber memory, but was factory loaded with XP, and its very fast.  The one I'm using right now is loaded with Windows 7, which is much better than Vista.  Acer has been making the best motherboards for years and years, and thier laptops are top notch, and very affordable.  They also have less proprietory software running in the background than most other brands, which is why I don't like Dell, Gateway, and especially HP. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 98 Cherokee lifted beastie tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Offline Oz

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 05:07 PM »
That's one thing I really, really hate... all the peripheral programs I don't need, want and... of course, you can't remove them.  Very interesting option.  We use some Acer products at work but, not  laptops.

Offline Lefty

• 16 year member
  • Year: 1990
  • Model: Prowler Regal 34RB
  • Chassis: None
  • Engine: None
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 10:34 PM »
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Offline Oz

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 11:30 PM »
Yeah.... um... really cool, saw the Dell's in the mailer they sent to everybody in the world.  I really don't have that kind of money to spend.

Offline Lefty

• 16 year member
  • Year: 1990
  • Model: Prowler Regal 34RB
  • Chassis: None
  • Engine: None
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 06:57 PM »
lol.. I was kidding Mark!!! Geez, I only wish I could have a top of the line Alienware....
I do have a Compaq Presario... it's been a really good laptop.
The one I have is a few years old, and it has a pentium dual core 1.8Ghz processor,2Gb ram, 250Gb hard drive, and a LightScribe cd/dvd burner (it can make labels directly on the disc by burning them in.. but you have to use blank LightScribe discs).. it can also use regular blank cd/dvd's too, but you cant burn a label on them.
It's always had a good picture on it for watching DVD's, and it will play some games (I've got Need for Speed Underground 2,Flight Sim X, and The Sims2 on it).

Downside-The battery doesnt last long if your running off batteries.. 2-3hrs is about all I get.
The built in wifi picks up good, but theres no external port to plug in an external antenna.
The built in Altec Lansing speakers are tiny, I bought a set of portable laptop speakers and plug them in the headphone jack.
The lettering on the keyboard has started wearing off.. which makes it hard to type if you dont know the keyboard by heart.

But, I would buy another one. The new Presarios are faster and better, and still not a lot of money.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Offline JimVol

• Living life to the fullest!
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Layton
  • Model: 2910
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 10:37 AM »
I know this post is a little older but I have had great experiences with the toshiba satellite line of laptops.  Mine is the c655 series with 15 inch widescreen full keyboard including the 10 numerical keypad. I bought it a few years ago at best buy for about $450.00 out the door. I am saving for my next toshiba satellite which I will get from Walmart with the 17.3 inch screen. It's pretty loaded up.  I do not have or need the i3, i5, or i7 processor.for my personal laptop.   Mine handles I tunes movies pictures videos etc very well with it's Intel Celeron processor.  The new 17.3 inch model I am looking at is around the same price point $450.00.  Here is the one I want.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-17.3-320GB-C675-S7200/16652448

Toshiba is very reliable brand and very resilient.
It's kind of fun to do the impossible -  Walt Disney

Offline Oz

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 07:47 PM »
That's really not a bad unit at all!  And the price comes in really well.  Overall, very good reviews.
I may have to consider this one!

Proud to be a:

Visit and take the Virtual Tour!

RVMH Hall of Fame
Lifetime Member

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoyingall the benefitsFull Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

RV Buying Checklist

Looking to buy a used RV?
Don't go unprepared!

Print this checklist so you
know the real condition of that "dream" RV:

RV Buyer's Checklist