New guy here from the Catskill Mountains....

Started by polarman, July 31, 2011, 11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarman

I just joined the forum and it looks like a great place for info and tips for old Winnebagos. I  am in the market, but have not brought one home yet. I looked at a 73 21' Brave in PA last week, but ran into a snag with the title so I brought my money back home with me. The 73 had the generator and rooftop AC with a 318 with 58K. It has some water damage above the passenger side of the cab, needs new tires, and the fresh water tank has a sticker on it that says "do not use". The old gentleman had it advertised for $2950, and I got him down to $2500. He said he'll give me a call in a week or so when he gets the title in his name. I think I need to try to talk the price down some more, as $2500 is a bit more than I feel I should pay. At the same time, these old Winnebagos are getting harder to find, so I have mixed feelings about passing it up if he wont bend on the price. Any thoughts?
I posted an add in the wanted section if anyone knows of a decent rig in the central NY/PA area.
I might go and look at a 77 Brave this afternoon, but it's bigger than I want at 26.5', and it has no generator and a 440 with 95K. That's alot of miles for and old mopar V8, so I don't think I'll be bringing it home unless it is in mint condition. The price is $2000 OBO.
I could use some input on what to look for, as this will be my first motorhome. I'm handy and like to tinker, but don't have the time or money to fix up a basket case. Time is on my side as I have a pop-up that I can use until I find a good Winnie or 70's class C, but I would like to have one in the next few weeks.
Any advise you could give for a first time buyer would be well recieved.
Thanks,
Steve
Delhi Lodge #439 Free and Accepted Masons

Oz

There cerrtainly are an abundance of rigs available when you take the time to look.  Finding one that's in good shape and at a reasonable price is the challenge.  It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what to look for and what to avoid as well but, at the bottom of the right side bar column is a "Used RV Buying Checklist" which can be an invaluable tool when checking out potential RVs to buy.  Good luck in your search and always feel free to ask anything here and search the forums.  We are the best community on the web for help and resources.  If you like what you see, consider upgrading to full membership as it gives you access to tons of critical and helpful resources found nowhere else in such abundance!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

polarman

Didn't see the checklist. I'll have a looksie. Thanks for the input!

brians69d24

Also remember that we are right in the middle of camping season (at least in the Northeast).  Another month and a half and the season will be winding down and you will find more people be willing to sell them.

polarman

I brought a 1973 D-20 home on Tuesday. It's running a 318 with 57K, generator, rooftop AC and has an awning. The fresh water system tank is bypassed, so I need to install a tee and a couple of check valves to get that going. I've done a tune up, but I still have to test drive it to see how it's running.  Sorry for the lack of pics.

LJ-TJ

Hey Catskills WELCOME ABOARD and the start of a New adventure. I don't think you'll be able to find a question that doesn't fall under " ben there, done that". As has been said many times before the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. :)ThmbUp

JDxeper

Took a look at your picts, she looks like a good clean old winne.  Nice straight lines, good looking trim, a good find. :)ThmbUp  Welcome to CWVRV.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca