DMV Rip Off

Started by Arberg0, July 14, 2011, 06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arberg0

just cost me $235 to get the plates for my rv does this sound about right i paid the tax to dealer this is dmv charges they say there,s title charges and plate charges and other charges all told it was $235 on my credit card i live in ny state i would like to know what others pay she told me it would be $70 a year thereafter because of its weight does this sound right i have a 1987 bounder  i??
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson

Oz

Tags shouldn't be anywhere close to that but, it sounds like the State sales tax is included in the total (?)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Arberg0

nope mark i paid the sales tax at the dealers when i bought her i even asked the lady are you sure this is right she said yes its for the plates reg and also it is due to the weight of the rv seems there having a great time in new york state with people getting plates on rv,s for the first time it came as a shock to me i can tell you even our dodge van did not cost as much seems new york have a policy of robbing you blind and classing it as a truck as it has a motor at the front she did say if it was a trailer and it was plated for that weight would be a lot less i am hoping they got it wrong and i get a refund of some of it would love to know what others pay perhaps we could start a polll mark
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson

ClassCKing

we just got ares done last month and as screwed up as this state laws are ours was 77$ tags and registration..didnt include inspection and emissions..they never asked us about weight just the class..
fishn.hikin,etc; rvin hat

Arberg0

all she wanted to know from me was what type of vehcile i told her rv and the dealer had put the weight on the paper i even asked her are you sure i have paid the tax already she said it was correct $235 for tags reg paper work and when i got the slip for the windshield i see it will cost me $70 next time i reg her i still think its wrong but if it is someone should spot it i hope

i??

Arberg0

i registered my rv for the first time yesterday july 14th at the dmv on dick
roa...

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (REP-2) - 07/15/2011 11:15 AM
The weight of the vehicle registered is 11,484 the 2 year fee according to that
weight is $140.00, a $20.00 vehicle use tax for Eire county, $25.00 plate fee
and a $50.00 titling fee for a total of $235.00. Thank You

buyers in new york state beware of the weight  $@!#@! $@!#@!

tiinytina

Just registration for our RV in MD is $190 a year... but I will get "antique" plates for her next year for her 25th birthday.. don't know if that will change the registration rate though...

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Arberg0

i asked about that when i went i was told not to go down that road as they do keep a look out in our area for people who purchase vintage tags and run the rv or car and checking up on there use and that they are not abussing it 

JDxeper

Just renewed the vanity tag for the "68BAGO" cost $15.50 for a year.  The regular historical vehicle is a one time charge no renewal no ;inspection, ect.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Froggy1936

Caution: Check all laws and regulations before going with Antique, Vintage,Classic or Historical plates  some state do not allow veh to be used for all purposes some do not allow use after dark and some only allow weekend daylight hrs use You can run into trouble after crossing state lines also (there laws will apply to your veh) Some savings are not worth the trouble  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

tiinytina

yup just checked.... and you can't even register motorhomes as historic.. ah well... thanks for the heads up...  guess her CWVRV sticker will denote her as a "Classic"!  but at least in MD we do not have to undergo emissions because she can't fit into the inspection bays... yea (ok and we removed the AIR system that simply dilutes the exhaust...)...

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

johnnytugs1

was the title included in that price?
JT
1977 itasca class "C"
under construction

Arberg0

Arberg0 [11:28 AM]: well i sent a message to our local dmv about the high charge when i registered my rv for the first time here is there breakdown buyers in new york state beware Response (REP-2) - 07/15/2011 11:15 AM
Arberg0 [11:30 AM]: The weight of the vehicle registered is 11,484 the 2 year fee according to that weight is $140.00, a $20.00 vehicle use tax for Eire county, $25.00 plate fee and a $50.00 titling fee for a total of $235.00. Thank You
$@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@!

virtualmech

Registered my in florida and it cost me around 400 dollars at the dmv $275 was just the initial registration fee.

joanfenn

Here in Alberta, Canada it only cost me the $77.00 for the registration and plate for the year.

polarman

NYS DMV,  oh what joy. NY collects sales tax every time a vehicle changes hands.If you paid sales tax at the dealer, then they should have done the registration for you. Sounds like you paid sales tax x2.
The first time you register in your name, the price is based on sales tax and weight. Every time after that, the registration fee is based on weight alone.
Aint NY great!?!
Delhi Lodge #439 Free and Accepted Masons

OldEdBrady

In Utah, too, you pay sales tax EVERY time a vehicle is sold.  If it's pased from hand to hand to hand within a simgle month, every one of the buyers pays sales tax.  Plus title change.  Plus plates for a year.  Plus IM inspections and safety inspections.  The only break on those last two is that the inspections are good for about 2 months.  After that, if it's sold, they have to be done again.

ibdilbert01

It was 69.50 for registration renewal here in Ohio for my rig.  I don't remember ever telling them weight, size or how many tires were on the ground either.  They might of got that information off the previous registration, I just don't remember.   That price renews the tags and your ready to roll.    They use to allow you to prorate too, so if you didn't renew the tags till a few months after your birthday, you got a discount, but last year they started a 20 dollar late fee, yet they still allow prorating.  D:oH!

No inspections, just the standard basic laws.   When you transfer a title, I think its around 15 bucks plus sales tax on the purchase price.   When selling from an individual, its common for them to leave the sales price blank, and its very common to see "gift" in the box too.  W%
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!