one of them trips

Started by ClassCKing, July 10, 2011, 02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassCKing

well our campn trip turned out to be quite the event..All started with leavn a day early,we fought  construction and head winds up the canyon..(oldedbrady knows of the winds)..part way up we were running a little warm figured it was from the heat,head winds and the construction.We got to our camp ground, found our spot and there goes the steam,bubbling and the sound of radiator saying im done.Well that was the beginning..Outside temp said was 95 and muggy..Got the rv backed up, jacks down,awning out and camp set up,the stairs weld broke.Waited for the rig to cool down,when it did checked the belts,started it back up and let it run..not the waterpump..Thinkn the thermostat is going out..Now the fun begins..The next day went to start the rv,and let it run for a few..No start,it cranked but woudnt start,tryed it a few more times and still a no go..Popped the hood and used the jumped start system and still no go..Some how the tiedown on the battery came loose and moved.It moved enough that it loosend the positive  side on the battery,so i wasnt charging.Very,very,very limited cell service,20+ miles from the nearest store and stuck.Forgot the battery charger and limited options..I didnt know if this idea would work but i thought if i took the main battery and hooked it up to the charge side of my house batteries and turn the genny on for a while to charge.Had a couple of extra parts with me,and one of my house batterise sacrificed a terminal to replace the broken one.Well it worked..had a good enough charge to start and put a good charge on it to make it home.On the way home we ran hot again,so a trip to the store 1 thermostat,3 new battery terminals,1gallon antifreeze i will be campn soon.Oldedbrady mentiond to me that his winne had a momentary switch to send a quick charge from the house battery to the main bat,gave me the name of someone to get hold and when i do then i guess ill have another project..with all that had happend.. it beat havn a good day at work and we still enjoyed our trip.Just goes to show no matter how much you prepare sometimes  $@!#@! happens.Pics up soon.
fishn.hikin,etc; rvin hat

Oz

"Necessity is the mother of invention", they say.  It's utterly amazing how quickly and well the brain works in figuring out what to do when you have an on-the-road RV crap-out!  Lord knows I've had my share as well as a LOT of other people.  I guess you truly aren't completely "qualified" as a vintage RV owner until you are faced with and resolve one of these situations.  I totally agree with your comparison to "...a good day at work."  LOL!  Keep on Classic RV'n bro!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClassCKing

well thank you..and Im also a firm believer in "Murphys Law"
fishn.hikin,etc; rvin hat