Is there and automatic fuel tank switchover?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 16, 2008, 09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 10/2/2005 9:35 PM

We have a '72 Chieftain with two fuel tanks.  We cannot seem to find a way to switch from one tank to the other.  We filled up both but don't know if they switch automatically (when the main tank is empty) but don't want to chance testing this on the road.  Help!
BTW, we took it out camping for the very first time this weekend and it ran great!

Sent: 10/3/2005 8:15 AM

The Chieftain had more options than the Indian or Brave models, but I dont think automatic fuel tank switching would have been included in 72; or if it was included, that it would still work after 3 decades. My winny is a 72 indian. It has a 2 position rocker switch on the dashboard that didnt come with the Dodge chassis, but was added by Winnebago. It controls an electromagnetic switch mounted under the floor, atop the curbside frame rail, and close to the front-most fuel tank. This does the switching. Mine has 2 fuel gauges, though some of the later fuel-selector-solenoid-valves also had contacts for switching a single fuel gauge to read from the "tank in use".
So, if yours has a switch, it should be on the dashboard. If not, look underneath for the fuel selector valve - follow the fuel line back from the motor. The valve will be cylindrical, smaller than a coffee cup. Usually they are set up to feed from the main tank if there is no voltage going to them.
I would suppose yours has either the conventional 72 dashboard, with a Dodge instrument cluster having the gauges in linear fashion; fuel, amps, speedo, water temp and oil pressure, or it might have the optional Teleflex dashboard, with about a dozen circular gauges, including a tachometer and vacuum gauge. If yours has the Teleflex dashboard, I would hope you could post a picture; they are rare.
Its also possible your fuel system has been modified by a prior owner, and differs from what Winnebago supplied.

Sent: 10/3/2005 7:52 PM

We're a family of 6 that just acquired a '77 Chieftain. This is our first camper, unless you count the pop-up that we only used 3-4 times and we all unanimously gave up camping after that.<o:p></o:p>

So far all we've done is clean. My kids all want me to reupholster because they say the orange is awful, but 1) Not knowing that we'll even LIKE camping, I hate to go to the expense... and 2) I have never taken on that big of a sewing project. (My kids still think I can do anything.)

We plugged in the electric, and the lights work. :0) Haven't tried anything else. Once I get pictures taken, I'll post them. I guess with the price of gas, we'll have to find somewhere really close to home to go camping.

Shirley
(Martinsville, IN)

Sent: 10/4/2005 8:35 AM

Well Shirley, hopefully, you'll look at it with an open mind.  RVing has its own challenges, but it also has its benefits... in particular... creature comforts!  A big step up from tents or mobile tents (pop-ups). 

We've all been feeling the effects of the rise in gas prices and most of us are shortening the distances we travel to go camping.  But, anywhere is away from home and the experience is all that you make it.

We look forward to seeing your pictures... don't worry... most of us have gone through the cleaning and torture of the "orange shag" syndrome.  Any help you need, just ask and use the Message Search.  You won't find a better family of classic Winnebago fanatics anywhere else!

- Sob

Sent: 10/4/2005 6:10 PM

I second what Sob says.  Rving is a unique and fun twist on camping (although tent and wilderness camping is one of my favorite passtimes still).  Gas prices ARE horrendous, but you should still get about 6-12 mpg...which really doesn't add up to whole lot, since you are travelling from point A to point B in a motorhome.  For instance, I can fill my tanks, which are 22 gallons each, for about 120 bucks...but can go about 400 miles on the tanks.  I don't have to pay any hotels or motels, I have all the comforts of "home" (we fulltime it, so this is our home...lol), and RV parks have weekly and monthly rates which keep the prices well below rent or mortgage.  Additionally, if you fix up your rig and make sure ALL of your systems work, including the generator and coach batteries, you can "boondock," meaning that you can pull over into a field or wooded area, and camp for free, and still have running hot water and electricity...lol.

These rigs are worth the effort, and they really aren't an expensive means of travelling, when compared to the more conventional.

Kev

Sent: 10/5/2005 7:20 PM

My '72 Chieftian has a 40 gal main and a 23 gal aux tank, with the dash rocker switch as mentioned.  As I was going to take pics on my needed cabinet hinges, I'll snap my dash and chasiss valve.
John
40+23X$3.00=$189 OUCH!

Sent: 10/5/2005 7:23 PM

... BUT $189 - alternative car fuel consumprion - motels = not too bad afterall :-)

Sent: 10/30/2005 6:41 PM

Hello!
Would I have to go to a Winnebago dealer to find a replacement switch?  I just got my 72 Brave and we pulled out the switch because we think some trash got in there after sitting for 14 years. THanks

Sent: 10/31/2005 8:44 AM

If your 72 dashboard is like my 72 dashboard, the fuel selector switch is a black plastic rocker switch, that is just a single pole double throw configuration.    It would have been a fairly common standard switch configuration, and they are still made; but withou the winnebago labelling on them.   I have seen identical rocker switches in auto parts places.  The replacement switch might be a double pole, but you could use it anyway, just using one of the 'poles', being three contacts.   The old switch should pop out of the dash, and the new one fit in the same hole.  Make sure the rocker switch you get is not a momentary kind.  It needs to stay in the position you switch it to..   
   A Winnebago dealer might have some of these switches, but there would be a premium to pay. 
   And a single pole dobule throw toggle switch would also work, but might not have the same push-on terminals.