1973 Winnebago Brave.....New member

Started by AClayton, March 30, 2011, 10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AClayton

To all,

I am a new member here and a new Winnebago owner. I purchased a 73' Brave D-18 with a 318 V-8. I bought this to restore and use along with my 40' Toyhauler I also own. I have owned 3 previous Winnebago's but all were much newer.......an 87' 22' Chieftan, a 2000' Adventurer 35U and an 04' Brave 34D. My parents took us kids camping when I was very young in a 73' Indian. Always loved that coach and ole' Dad taught me how to drive it when I got my license.

I tried to bring the new 73' Brave home tonight but the old girl just didn't want to take me to my home. It just did take an hour long drive 2 weeks ago and supposedly ran well. Unfortunately, tonight it just did not want to go to my house at all. It appeared the carb was bad as it would not let me accelerate at all. The slight grade coming out of the driveway it was parked in proved overly challenging. It was dry outside when it was driven 2 weeks ago and tonight was raining and damp outside. I'll play with it more when it dries up here. Anyway, I may need help from time to time for parts availability for chassis items.

Thanks in advance - Alan

OldEdBrady

I can tell you that the best source for finding sources is right here.

Welcome!

LJ-TJ

Well let me be one of the many to welcome you aboard.  While it may seem a little by-est I strongly recommend that you buy a copy of the Chassis Manual and Parts Manual from the club store. They are invaluable

AClayton

Thanks......it appears I have the RM-300 chassis w/17.5 wheels. Thanks for all the replies thus far! I will try and get it home this weekend when it dries up. Hoping it is just a carb rebuild that it needs.

Alan

Froggy1936

Mr AClaton, Good Luck & Welcome  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Alan,

In 1975 Dodge renamed RM300 to M300 and indicated the designation applied to all years of RM300.  That can help when looking for parts.  Example, NAPA will list a M300 but will not list a RM300, however with that said, as of today, NAPA has apparently redone there web site and appears to have redesigned their site and is not working well.  Was going to explain how to look stuff up but untill they fix it I cannot do that.  Sorry

[move][/move]

Oz

Welcome to our wonderful community!  Once you read the Message Board Posting Rules, you'll find that there is a wealth of priceless knowledge available and countless knowledgeable and experienced members eager to help you with all your questions and challenges.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

AClayton

Quote from: Phåråoh on April 01, 2011, 12:03 AM
Welcome to our wonderful community!  Once you read the Message Board Posting Rules, you'll find that there is a wealth of priceless knowledge available and countless knowledgeable and experienced members eager to help you with all your questions and challenges.

Thx guys!! - I'm still struggling to even get it home! Tried again last night with a new ballast resisitor, wires,cap and rotor and even sprayed carb/choke cleaner...........all of which helped but whenever a load is placed on the engine sputters and bogs. The ole' girl forces to me to the side of the road, I restart it again and it will idle just as sweet as a new car! This is what is so baffling........and frustrating!! Fuel pump maybe? Or coil? I am just going to have to play with it until I learn this machine........I feel comfortable about the resto project but know very little about tranny's and engines. BTW........Pharoah, I checked out your resto project and your rig looks very nice!!
- Alan

AClayton

Quote from: AClayton on April 01, 2011, 07:26 AM
Thx guys!! - I'm still struggling to even get it home! Tried again last night with a new ballast resisitor, wires,cap and rotor and even sprayed carb/choke cleaner...........all of which helped but whenever a load is placed on the engine sputters and bogs. The ole' girl forces to me to the side of the road, I restart it again and it will idle just as sweet as a new car! This is what is so baffling........and frustrating!! Fuel pump maybe? Or coil? I am just going to have to play with it until I learn this machine........I feel comfortable about the resto project but know very little about tranny's and engines. BTW........Pharoah, I checked out your resto project and your rig looks very nice!!
- Alan
Looks like I goofed right off the bat :-[ .........I should have posted this in General Discussion! I will repost my problem in the proper forum with the proper text ;)

4winds

Carb  I should write a book on carbs after the problems I had.  Clean your carb and the problem should go away.  Ed