Crossed my fingers and drove it home...

Started by J33pman, March 14, 2011, 01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J33pman

Well, I survived the 340 mile or so trip home with my new 1974 D21. I paid the man, hooked up the jeep on the dolly I towed up, and hit the road after checking the transmission and oil. Some smoke out the back, mostly smelled rich, not too much oil. Top speed home was 60, mostly 50. The Texas hill country was exciting, with speeds dropping to 30 up some of the very steep hills. Appears to have burned a quart of oil during the trip, about what I expected, judging by how much coats the engine. Spent a LOT of time driving in the shoulder to let cars pass. Gas mileage was about 5, but I noticed the the choke was partially closed when I got home--the cable was jacked up. Derp.
She has a lot of issues, but is pretty solid for being 37 years old, motor and roof notwithstanding. Good bones. Now I just have to decide where to start. I haven't decided if I want to try to do the walls from the inside, or take off the roof and start there. I'm going to live with it for a week or two and make a thorough list of what needs to be done, and decide the order. My goal is to keep it as usable as possible and not be a hangar queen with a bunch of unfinished work.
This will be my biggest project to date. I have done some work on my vespa, but this is a whole new game. Luckily my father in law is a very competent handyman. I posted way too many before photos.

tiinytina

Wow! what a ride to do on Day 1 of ownership! Glad you made it!
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

JDxeper

I would start with the chassis, then move to the coach.  Get her rolling good and safe, then transform the coach. Y!

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

tiinytina

I forgot to add that I would have been clutching my AAA+RV card tightly in one hand!  :angel:
And I totally agree with JD.. chassis first... all fluids, brakes, belts, hoses, plugs, wires, filters....

tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Froggy1936

Reminds me of my maiden voyage with my 1977 mini winnie With 72000 mi on it after i fixed the roof . I picked up my sister in N Carolina after passing thru DC wile the sniper was shooting people there and then on to Houston my sister made a comment about all the shaking when braking I told her dont need brakes to go somewhere only need them to stop when you get there Replaced warped rotors when i got back home after determining she was worth keeping  $6000.00 later she is in pretty good shape Plan on Calif this trip if gas prices come down  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Oz

Download and print the "Used RV Buying Checklist"  This will give you a very good assessment tool to use in determining what needs fixed and from there, you can prioritize your work and check each thing off as you go!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

J33pman

I did just that. Also, I think I have every document except the original "window sticker". I'm going to go through and scan anything that isn't already uploaded.

Oz

A good attitude and good preparation... it's a good start.   :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca