Vogue RV's Info wanted

Started by Lefty, January 22, 2011, 09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lefty

Hey guys,
I need to find out if anyone here is familiar with an old brand of RV called "Vogue". I'm looking at one that I might be buying, and am trying to find out as much as possible beforehand.

I haven't found much on the "net" about them, but were apparently started in 1973-1974 by a former Winnebago Dealer located in Los Angeles,Ca. Who had a long list of celebrity and very wealthy clients who wanted, and could afford, a "ultra-high end" RV. The company focused on building high end RV's, and became Mitchell Coachworks in 1990, then later Parliment Coach, and Prevost.... They are still in business under those names, and still build the really expensive coaches (million dollar plus rigs) Anyways, just wondering if anyone here has ever owned or dealt with one of these?

Specs:
1977 Vogue 29'
M-500 Dodge Chassis
440-1 Engine, 727 LoadFlyte Trans.
8"X19.5" rims/tires  stainless chrome simulators
dual roof A/C
Onan Genset (looks like a CK5W 5K watt unit... but may be bigger, I couldn't open the door fully enough to see the model plate due to a fence next to the RV)
Electric levelers at all 4 corners
Electric entry step
Central Vac system
Electronic Tank Monitoring System
Center Kitchen with Island/Bar, has built-in blender/food processor thingy on it.
Microwave (original built-in unit)
Eye Level Oven with built in hood, 4-burner stovetop
Dual Stainless sinks
Three-way fridge/freezer (looks like new)
Built-in Ice Maker
Built-in Dishwasher
Factory Air Horns (I don't know if they are electric or air...)
Ladder, Rooftop Rack, and large Rooftop Storage Box (fiberglass)
Chrome front/rear bumpers

Heres' a few pics...

As you can see, the window states "Make Offer"... Here's why. The P.O. passed away in 2009 and the RV was last driven in 2006. The childeren are selling all of his effects, and have no interest in it. They do not know if it will run or not, and are selling it as it sits. I looked it over good, and it's solid as a rock. No leaks whatsoever, and the roof is like walking on concrete. It has a one piece fiberglass roof, and it's in perfect condition. I tried jumping it off with my pickup, but the batteries are old and swolen & I couldn't get it to spin fast enough to crank. But it does turn over, and all the electrical stuff seems in order. Interior is very dated, 1977 brown wall panelling, and beige/brown upholstery...dark,dark,dark inside, but it's all there and is actually in very good, to immaculate condition inside. There is no sign of any leaks anywhere, and no sign there ever has been. I am going next Sat. to try and get it started, and to do more checks on the genset,water system, appliances, etc... before I buy it.
They wanted $2,500 for it, but I countered with $1,500 as it sits... We eventually agreed on $2,100 if I am satisfied after checking it out next Sat. that I still want it. They agreed to hold it till then. If everything in the coach works, and I can get her started, and the genset fires up, I'll probably buy it. Keep your fingers crossed....
                                                                 Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

DaveVA78Chieftain

Here is a where your going to find the most useful information
http://www.voguevantarecountryclub.com/

Found that reference here: http://www.webanswers.com/sports/outdoor-recreation/what-are-the-differences-in-models-of-the-1980-s-vogue-motorhomes-c41a07

Some of this you will already know but just a reminder:
It should be a 440-3, not a 440-1
75 and later M500 will have hydroboost brakes (P/S pump driven; no vacuum booster)
19.5 tires are easier to find than the 17.5 used on lower size chassis
Dual AC means the Onan would be a CCK5.0 (40 amps). - You can run both AC's on the onan but you can only run 1 AC on shore 30amp power (not enough amps on shore power).  You will need to look closely at the AC electrical switching set up.  See if you can switch between AC units when on Shore power.
Might have a ferroresonant 12VDC converter (no transfer switch).
Be sure to check front brake rotor condition.  Most brake parts are easy to find but the rotors can be a real pain.
Be sure to check radiator condition.  Thats $400 item by itself.
Remember gas filter and rusty fuel tank issues.  Dried out fuel line hoses on top of fuel tanks.
Was the fresh water system winterized? (leaks)  Weather has been real cold lately even done there.
Most likely has a very big horizontal mount propane tank (ie 80 gal).
Check water heater (most likely pilot model) for pinhole leaks (corrsion rust through with age).  Having to replace mine on my 78 do to this.
Critter nests in furnace or water heater?
Make sure you check wiper blades before turning them on.  Scratched windshield is no fun.
Check kingpins (jack up and use a pry bar to look for excessive movement.
Most likely has both grey and black tanks.  Small grey tank is a PIA
Dump valves usable?  Careful, do not want to dump on ground where it sits.
Fresh Water pump work?
Awning in good shape?  The hold down knobs for the legs like to corrode up and result in the embedded nut breaking loose.  Tension spring good?

Like you said, Vogue was always a higher end RV.  As such there is more doodads to tend to.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Looks like a great RV and you can't beat the price, even if the genny needs work.  It looks amazingly similar to our 89 Holiday Rambler...hmmmmm...ahead of its time, eh?  Looks like a great find...at 2100 bucks I'd go for it if it runs and stops.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

WOW!  :)ThmbUp Nice find. Shoot if it starts, stops the gen sets worth the asking price. While I'd take a little closer look baring anything major I'd say you just got yourself a fine deal.  Hm?

LJ-TJ

4winds

Even has white walls!  The horns,if like on the CEO are electric and very loud.  Looks great.  get it.  Ed

Lefty

Thanks guys for the encouragement, and thanks for the tip on running the A/C units off shore power at the same time... I've never had a unit with 2 A/C units before so I didn't know that.
Like I said, I'm going back this next Sat. to do a lot more thurough check than I was able to perform... It was about 28 deg. when I was up there, and the P.O. son & daughter were not able to stay there but only about half an hour... I'm going to take a pair of fresh batteries, a 5 gal. jug of fuel, my R/V water hose, a propane bottle, and my toolbox up there and check it out from one end to the other.
My goals:
Get the coach engine to start either off a temp. fuel tank (5 gal. can), or at worst, off of just starting fluid. Hearing it actually start and run would be a major plus and I'd know a lot more about it from how well it runs.
Hook the unit up to 110v and test all the electrics inside, all the lights, and all the appliances...
Hook up water to it and test the water pump, the tanks, the pipes, and the water heater...
Get the propane system checked and make sure the stove,oven,water heater,furnace, and the LP side of the fridge works.
Get the Genset to start off a temp. fuel tank same as the main engine, and make sure it's working like it should.
If all goes well, I'll be bringing her home...
I'll be sure to keep you updated this Sat. after I get home.

ClydesdaleKevin

Don't use starting fluid...use BrakeKleen or the equivalent.  It is a lot safer for the engine as it has lubricating properties...especially if the engine has been sitting for a while.  And it works just a well as starting fluid, and its a bigger can for cheaper!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Lefty

Well, there's no Vogue in my immediete future..... Went today and checked it out better, glad I waited!!
It's going to take a lot more to bring this one back than it would be worth.

Both rooftop A/C units are bad... 1 was dead as a doornail, and the other came on, but didn't cool worth a shoot.
The fresh water pump is burned out, the fresh water tank is ruptured from not being winterized, and who knows about the rest of the water system... likely the hot water tank as well...
The inside lights wouldn't work, and the breakers and fuses were all good... so theres something in the wiring wrong, maybe easy, maybe a nightmare to fix....
The genset was totally, and utterly locked up.. even after removing the plugs, adding marvel mystry oil, and waiting a couple hrs. I couldn't budge it with a breaker bar on the crank.
The rear bathroom roof vent has leaked, and the ceiling is rotted and very soft.. I missed that entirely on the initial inspection.
The engine did crank, but the floats stuck on the carb. causing it to pump massive amounts of raw fuel into the engine.. That is actually a minor fix... but it kept me from running the engine enough to check it out.
The left motor mount is not only rotted and broke, it's totally destroyed. The engine has fallen about 2" on the left and the fan blade destroyed the lower part of the fan shroud.
Theres a huge and obvious crack in the right exhaust manifold, about 4" long and 1/4" wide.
The heater core up front has been bypassed.. my guess is that it leaked, and who knows if I would ever match up a replacement or not... Especially if it turns out to be an oddball size or shape.
When we tried to set up the awning, it ripped from being so dryrotted... Also one of the arms lockknobs was stripped out.
Never got to try the tranny... The engine never ran long enough.

Anyways, there were a few more things, but you get the idea...
We will just keep on looking, the right one will come someday.

Oz

Sorry to hear that, Lefty.   :(

You know we're pulling for you.  The right one will come along.  You more than deserve it!   :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca