Replaced RV Refrigerator with standard home type.

Started by 4winds, January 20, 2011, 06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4winds

Well, it finally happened.  My fridge died last night.  Replaced it with a Magic Chef 10 cubic ft from my favorite shopping center-Home Depot.  380.41 out the door.  Was 23/8 in taller than my opening.  Saber saw took care of that.  Now I can get real food, have a freezer and am going to be a happy camper.  Have any of you done this?  How long should it last?  Sure didn't have 1400 dollars for the RV type.  Ed :P

Oz

Quite a number of people have done this.  It should last as long as... well, as long as it doesn't break?  I've bought 4 -5 year old, used refrigerators and had them until I moved and they were still working at the time, 7 years or like the ones I have now, they're going on 15 years old.  I never had one that had to be replaced while I owned it.

You can do a search on this and should come up with some of the past experiences too.

Actually, many modern travel trailer models are equipped with house type refrigerators because they're for 100% campground use.  However, it is most certainly a viable option for motorhomes as well, providing that the generator and electrical system is set up properly for it, obviously.  As far as the particulars of that point, I bow low to the electro-wizards of CWVRV!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

4winds

My only concern is that the owners manual states that it must have 5 inches clearance top and both sides.  No way I can get that unless I sit it in the middle of the froor, then I couldn't get around it to the bathroom!  Oh well.  Ed W%

DaveVA78Chieftain

Clearance listed for house type fridge is for an installation that does not have a venting sytem like used on an RV.  You will be pulling cool air in from lower outside vent and exhausting the warm air out the top vent.  You would need to leave any vent on front open also so the compressor gets cooling air.  In a real house the clearance around the fridge allows the air to circulate.

Dave
[move][/move]

GulfCoastFighter0

I replaced mine with a dorm style fridge also.  It was actually smaller than the original's outside dimensions but has more room inside.  Mine has plenty of breathing room in that big old cavern!
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
1971 Airstream Ambassador
NRA Recruiter

JDxeper

I purchased a dorm style for the 68 also, has a small freezer across the top, has plenty of room at the back and the vent still goes out the top.  If I was concerned about heat build up I might add a small 12v exhaust fan but convection should take care of the heat.  These type of refrigs handle a wider range of temps.  Like Sob, indicated, with a gen set, let it be cool.  Just bolt it down to the floor so it won't move when traveling.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

dinahkeith

We replaced the original Dometic Royal with a 9 cu. ft. apartment fridge and are delighted!  Snug fit on the sides and plenty of room for the extra inch on top.  Sure beat paying out the big bucks for the Dometic replacement!  Wouldn't have considered it without an onboard generator, of course....
Living in a 5er with 2 terriers, while overhauling a '79 HR, and an '85 Diamond mini moho....

ibdilbert01

The only thing I would be concerned about is the type of fridge you may have purchased.   Some companies put the condensor coils on the back of the fridge, exposed to the air, some of them put them inside the external refridgerator back wall, and some of them put them on the inside of the side walls on the fridge.   The style that have the coils in the walls and back use the skin of the fridge to get rid of the heat.  If you have the one with the coils in the side walls, I'd worry that with lack of air space they wouldn't be able to sink the heat away fast enough and you might shorten the life of your compressor as its going to struggle harder to keep the fridge cool.  Its just a thought...

As a bonus, most of the newer fridges have become very efficient and run very well on an inverter.   :) 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

tiinytina

only reason we saved up and got the propane/elec.. was that we dont' run with the genny on unless in desperate need of AC... also can turn on the propane and cool it down prior where she is parked....  so just depends on your needs.... 
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!