Where is the voltage regulator mounted - 1969 D22

Started by rustyescott1, December 29, 2010, 04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyescott1

Can anyone tell me where voltage regulator is mounted?  I,have looked everwhere and can't find it.  Check my photo album for picture of the alternator thats on my bago.
Rusty Escott

LJ-TJ

Rusty - if you lift the dog house cover off and look straight down behind the distributor that's were it should be located. Here's what it should look like.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Rusty,
Dodge manual says pre Sep 01 1971 used an alternator with a mechanical regulator that looked like this:

The picture you posted appears to be of a post Sep 01 1971 alternator that used a alternator with a electronic regulator that looks like this:

Someone may have upgraded your rig to a later style charging system.  That is not an uncommon practice.  Post Sep 01 1971 systems had the regulator mounted on a plate located at the rear of the intake manifold (over the bell housing) and looked like this:

Dave
[move][/move]

rustyescott1

rumer has that it is located up under the dash. this is going to be fun getting myself under there
Rusty Escott

ibdilbert01

The pre-electronic ignition dodge had them mounted on a much smaller plate located to the left of the distributor.   On my 72 (w/ 71 chassis) its mounted on the bottom/right side of the plate. 

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

rustyescott1

ok i found it . it is mounted up under the dash above the steering column
Rusty Escott

KiwisintheUS

Does anyone know what type of regulator should be on a 1969 winnebago? We have just installed a standard vr106. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be regulating the power to the battery. We are getting upwards from 17 volts. 

Preese

Unfortunately VRââ,¬â,,¢s could be isolated or grounded and alternators need to match.  If you have not already purchased the 69 - 73 Dodge Service Manual offered via this site really recommend you do.  Per the manual, overcharging could be VR set too high, regulator contacts stuck, regulator voltage winding open, regulator base improperly grounded. Also, after many many hours of research I went with VR integrated ââ,¬Å"single wireââ,¬Â alternator to minimize wires and get rid of problematic ballast resister issues. 
Me & You & Winnie Lou & a dog