440-3 Over Heating

Started by LJ-TJ, February 14, 2019, 12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Ok! I took the cowards way out. Rather than throw a hand full of shoot at the wall to see what sticks. Because I was going to be bent over a carburetor and be jamed in a hole between a rad and fan belts and water pumps I said the heck with it. Just ordered a new water pump,160 thermostat,clutch fan.Once I get in there I'll probably end up changing the belts and rad hoses. Hey any body got the part numbers for the upper and lower rad hoses for a 440-3 1975 Brave. If anybodies interested I'll let you know how it goes and I'll list the part numbers. Hm?

BamBam

LJ-TJ

Rickf1985

You want to keep the engine in good shape you definitely need to go with a 180 or hotter thermostat. 160 is way, WAY to cold. You will never cook off the condensate in the oil that cool. Remember all the milky stuff under the oil cap on the older cars? That is why. Get the 180 and it will also run better.

Froggy1936

I concur I run a 195o thermostate in mine ! 160o is too cold Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Sasquatch

I also concur.  I run a 195 on mine and I struggle to get it to stay hot enough.

Elandan2

TJ, make sure you get a "skirted" thermostat. There is lots of info on the site here about the differences in how they perform as opposed to a regular thermostat.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

LJ-TJ

Man I hate it when that happens. Just sent a post and the hole message got wiped out.  $@!#@! So I chickened you and re ordered the skirted Thermostat at 180. My problem was with over heating. I don't no if this is right or not but this is what I got. Valve cover gaskets $31.40. The water pump was $64.85. The Thermostat Gasket $2.39 and the Fan Clutch was $124.98 with a total of $252.69

Froggy1936

? Who are you buying from ? Those prices sound excessive !  Mabey its a Canadian thing ?   Recheck with different suppliers . Summit NAPA  Frank I just checked a couple prices  On Amazon VC Gaskets $23.00  Fan clutch  $49.00 ??
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

Boys the only game in town and if I do the exchange, shipping and customs. It's about right. Now do you see why I think you Yanks are spoiled. :D

Rickf1985

Here is something to keep in mind. Physics and heat transfer. Coefficient of heat transfer dictates that the larger the difference in temperature between the radiator and air passing through it will cause a greater heat transfer than a lower difference. Hard for me to put in laymans terms since I am not a teacher but at an ambient temperature of 75 degrees and an engine temperature of 160 degrees the radiator will shed we will say 500 BTU's a minute, These are arbitrary figures since I don't have the formula's in front of me to give the real stuff. At ambient of 75 degrees and an engine temp of 195 the radiator will shed 1500 BTU's per minute.  Basically the larger the difference the more heat exponentially is transferred. So even though the engine is running hotter the radiator will drop the temperature even faster than it would at 160. 
NOW, This is assuming that the radiator is clean, the block is clean and the water pump is working correctly. There is a fan shroud on there isn't there? The fan should be positioned halfway into the back edge of the shroud, not all the way into it.

Oh, By the way, all figures are in English and not metric since we are so SPOILED. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

LJ-TJ

Whadya say? :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

postman

CAPTAIN !-!

The Di-lithium crystals are over heating trying to hit warp speed. We can't recharge the Phasers and the Romulins are locked onto our Proton Torpedo tube. Captain she can't take anymore, and there isnt a Flying J within a light year!  :)clap :)rotflmao :)clap :)rotflmao :D

LJ-TJ

Shoot I understood that. D:oH!

Rickf1985

The sad part is I understand it but I can't properly explain it. i?? :)rotflmao