Towing a Pickup

Started by zerfetzen, December 07, 2010, 10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerfetzen

Hi, I'm new and this is my first post.  I'm planning for the future, and want to be able to full-time, but would not want to give up my 74 F250 truck, which weighs about 6000 lbs.  Can you recommend a classic winnebago that could comfortably tow that?  It's a manual trans, and I would disconnect the driveshafts just to be safe.  I've restored vehicles before but never an RV.  I would try to restore it in a barn.  I'm pretty sure I'd be looking for a model that's at least 25'.  Thanks for any suggestions.

ClydesdaleKevin

Any year or model with a good tow hitch and receiver can pull your truck...just inspect it really well for rust or damage.  If you are towing your pickup all 4 wheels down, then any Winnie will do.  And you don't have to disconnect the driveshaft...just put it in neutral!  Lastly, make sure your towbar is rated at least as high as the weight of the pickup.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Another consideration :  The larger the motor, the better as well.  Dodge 440, Chevy 454.  The longer the RV, the more it weighs and thus the motor has to work harder to pull both the RV and the truck.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

GulfCoastFighter0

And don't forget the brakes!  You'll have to stop the Winnie and 6000 extra lbs!
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
1971 Airstream Ambassador
NRA Recruiter

zerfetzen

Thanks for all the good replies.  It seems I have some research to do now to figure out which model has my heart.

Sho_tyme

If you can build a shed and put a shower and cabnets in it you can redo a RV. Time and patients and if you have a barn your golden,I am doing one in a drive way rite now in 0deg weather. Also don't you have disconnect the driveshaft?Even in neutral it would still be turning the pump and could burn it out not running. My only advise you find one and look it over with a comb.Sure we can help you on here with all areas that usually rot where to look for.

GulfCoastFighter0

Quote from: Sho_tyme on December 08, 2010, 08:39 PM
Also don't you have disconnect the drive shaft?  Even in neutral it would still be turning the pump and could burn it out not running.

Not if he's towing a truck with a manual tranny.  Neutral is fine, no pump to burn up!
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
1971 Airstream Ambassador
NRA Recruiter

zerfetzen