FYI on 30lb horizontal propane tanks

Started by jkilbert, October 31, 2010, 09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkilbert

i have not noted a thread on this, but as an FYI 30lb horizontal LP tanks are exempt for the OPD requirements since a retrofit is not available for them. Also the new style horizontal tanks will not fit in our coaches because they have legs on them.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Oz

Perhaps the "legs" thing depends on when they were made.  I pulled 2, 30lb horizontals which were full from a Class C in a junkyard about 5 years ago.  They fit upright in my '74 Indian.  A very tight fit, to be sure, but they fit.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

My understanding is that with the exception of some marine tanks, almost all horizontal tanks do not use OPD valves.  They use a vapor relief valve and are normally regulated under ASME regulations rather than DOT.  Because of the internal relief pipeing design, you should never use a tank designed for horizontal mounting in a vertical position.  It will not vent properly when filling and may result in the regulator tube pushing liquid vs gas into the regulator.  Liquid propane will destroy a regulator.
Here is some excellant information from Manchester tanks regarding LPG tanks: http://www.manchestertank.com/custresources/helpfulhints.pdf

OPD
OPD stands for "overfilling prevention device" or "overfill protection device" and is required on all 4 to 40 pound DOT cylinders in vapor service. The OPD valve is simply a protective device that, as the name implies, prevents overfilling of a propane cylinder.

Propane Cylinder Requirements
http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderrequirements.htm

Dave
[move][/move]

jkilbert

the new horizontal tanks that i have seen out all have opd valves in them.  the valve on my tanks are located in the center of the end of the tank whereas the new ones i've seen have the valve located to the 12 o'clock position on the end of the tank. the rv/propane dealer that filled my tanks went so far as to call his supplier to double check this info. it just cost me a few extra buck for him to have them inspected.

Oz

I knew about the potential problem with refilling the horizontal propane tanks after using them vertically.  I got them for $20 for the both of them, used them up, emptied them and then sent them to recycle.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

Quote from: jkilbert on October 31, 2010, 04:52 PM
the new horizontal tanks that i have seen out all have opd valves in them.  the valve on my tanks are located in the center of the end of the tank whereas the new ones i've seen have the valve located to the 12 o'clock position on the end of the tank. the rv/propane dealer that filled my tanks went so far as to call his supplier to double check this info. it just cost me a few extra buck for him to have them inspected.

Must be what Manchester refers to as a Marine style tank.
Manchester also produces regular horizontal tanks (ASME) and hangers.

Dave
[move][/move]

jkilbert